Thread: Tortoise - Millions Now Living Will Never Die

Tortoise - Millions Now Living Will Never Die

Not my fave from them but still one of their best. I never thought the other half was as strong as "Djed" but still great stuff. Anyone else in PE land a fan of this album?
    The truth will set you free, but first it will piss you off

I dig.
    "please do not understand me too quickly"-andre gide

Great album
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

Really dig it. Looking forward to the new one too.

Like the OP, I really like Djed but the rest of the album doesn't do as much for me.

This one actually is my favorite Tortoise LP. Love it.
    The Prog Corner

Definitely my favorite of the three I have, (Tortoise and TNT), and I love BOTH sides!
    ProgEars and other prog posters & prints: http://www.michaelphipps.net
    .*AWAKEN*. gentle
    MASS -touch-

It so obviously clear to me that Glass Museum is the best song on the album. Just goes to show YMMV.

- Matt

I always really liked the second tune. Is that "Glass Museum"? Really haunting stuff with odd rhythms. I like it.

"Glass Museum" is almost as good as "Djed" IMO.

Excellent album. Last track's ending is beautiful as well.

But then again they've got a bunch of great releases to their credit.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    Excellent album. Last track's ending is beautiful as well.

But then again they've got a bunch of great releases to their credit.
    Indeed, although I only have the first half of their discography and really need to remedy that.
    ProgEars and other prog posters & prints: http://www.michaelphipps.net
    .*AWAKEN*. gentle
    MASS -touch-

Quote Originally Posted by ProgArtist View Post
    Indeed, although I only have the first half of their discography and really need to remedy that.
    Beacons Of Ancestorship for me might be their best ever. Gigantes is the track I cant stop listening to.

Quote Originally Posted by Phlakaton View Post
    Beacons Of Ancestorship for me might be their best ever. Gigantes is the track I cant stop listening to.
    Yeah, I view that one as an excellent come-back album. I saw them play a gig in support of that album - really good. As good as "Prepare Your Coffin" is on the album, it's even better live.

They're a pretty big influence on Gosta Berlings Saga, for what that's worth.

Quote Originally Posted by ProgArtist View Post
    I only have the first half of their discography and really need to remedy that.
    Well, some will probably tell you that an album like It's All Around You isn't really worth getting, but even though it's their most uneven release along with the debut (IMO), there's some absolute gold on that one as well.

What truly changes you about Tortoise, I think, is when you get to experience them in a concert setting. It altered my opinion from finding them "interesting" into "fascinating" and ultimately "great".

Their influence has been substantial. Not only the music, but their mode of "applied eclecticism" at large.
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Anyone else get a "Genesis live circa 1980" vibe from Beacons? Really cool record, imo.

I love Millions, but TNT is by far my favorite Tortoise album.

Quote Originally Posted by mx20 View Post
    Anyone else get a "Genesis live circa 1980" vibe from Beacons?
    Interesting you mention that. I get a Duke-era vibe from some of their tracks. This track from It's All Around You even reminds me of 70s Genesis:

What truly changes you about Tortoise, I think, is when you get to experience them in a concert setting. It altered my opinion from finding them "interesting" into "fascinating" and ultimately "great".
    So, they're worth the $20- to see them at the same venue Magma played/will be playing in March?; about 2 weeks before Magma. http://lpr.com/lpr_events/tortoise-march-16th-2016/
    "Henry Cow always wanted to push itself, so sometimes we would write music that we couldn't actually play – I found that very encouraging." - Lindsay Cooper, 1998
    "I have nothing to do with Endless River. Phew! This is not rocket science people, get a grip." - Roger Waters, 2014
    "I'm a collector. And I've always just seemed to collect personalities." - David Bowie, 1973

Quote Originally Posted by Obscured View Post
    So, they're worth the $20- to see them at the same venue Magma played/will be playing in March?
    That they absolutely are! Although unlike Magma there's very little musical "exhibitionism" with Tortoise, their aesthetic integrity fits right in with the Magma ethic - IMHO. Jaga Jazzist (who are significant Tortoise-heads) have appeared on several festival bills with Magma, and they too measured up perfectly.

Saw a group called The Kraken Quartet last night - very Tortoise sounding but all percussion. If you like Tortoise - check them out too. Great group of young guys with lots of talent. https://thekrakenquartet.bandcamp.com/

That they absolutely are!
    +1

Great live band. The one time I saw them, they kept switching instruments after every other song, so in a way I got to see several bands for the price of one!

Saw a group called The Kraken Quartet last night - very Tortoise sounding but all percussion. If you like Tortoise - check them out too. Great group of young guys with lots of talent. https://thekrakenquartet.bandcamp.com/
    ^ Those guys sound real good!
    Last edited by at least 100 dead; 01-11-2016 at 03:34 AM.
    "Dem Glücklichen legt auch der Hahn ein Ei."

Quote Originally Posted by zravkapt View Post
    Interesting you mention that. I get a Duke-era vibe from some of their tracks. This track from It's All Around You even reminds me of 70s Genesis:

One of my favorite Tortoise tracks. Although I get a different feel than Genesis, (well a bit toward the end, now that you mention it) but maybe more of a Dungen feel? Nice though.

Quote Originally Posted by Obscured View Post
    So, they're worth the $20- to see them at the same venue Magma played/will be playing in March?; about 2 weeks before Magma. http://lpr.com/lpr_events/tortoise-march-16th-2016/
    Heck yeah!