Thread: New Bowie Album "Blackstar" on Jan 8, 2016

New Bowie Album "Blackstar" on Jan 8, 2016

This will be released on his 69th birthday. Pretty amazing that he's still putting out new music. Haven't reqlly been much of a fan of his later work, but good to see him still out there!

Last I heard was 2002's Heathen, which I thought very strong.

The Next Day featured Tony Levin and David Torn among others. I wonder if they'll appear on Blackstar.

Henry
    Where Are They Now? Yes news: http://www.bondegezou.co.uk/wh_now.htm
    Blogdegezou, the accompanying blog: http://bondegezou.blogspot.com/

The Next Day would rank among his strongest later albums- certainly superior to 2003's Reality, which I seldom listen to. However I didn't really care for the single from last year 'Sue', to be honest. Scott Walker has already covered that sort of ground with his latter-day work IMHO.

There is a precedent, though- he did a soundtrack in the 90s called The Buddha Of Suburbia which is a great album, and arguably got him back on track after a long period of wobbly albums. Hopefully this will be too.

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    The Next Day would rank among his strongest later albums- certainly superior to 2003's Reality, which I seldom listen to. However I didn't really care for the single from last year 'Sue', to be honest. The Scott Walker influence on tracks like that has become evident, and really Walker has done that already IMHO.
    I thought that "Sue" was brilliant! Much better than anything on The Next Day.

Hopefully it will have a better cover than "The Next Day"... ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by Kcrimso View Post
    I thought that "Sue" was brilliant! Much better than anything on The Next Day.
    Ditto. I liked The Next Day; I just didn't think it was top-rank Bowie.

Quote Originally Posted by the winter tree View Post
    Hopefully it will have a better cover than "The Next Day"... ;-)
    Worst...cover...ever. When I first saw it online I thought it was a joke, to be replaced at a later date by the real cover.

This sounds great, i didn't get his last one, it just didn't grab me. But the guy always keeps me guessing!!

UPDATE: David Bowie has now officially confirmed that his new album Blackstar will be out 1/8, and the first single and title track will be out 11/20. He announced the news via a post on his website:

It can now be confirmed that “Blackstar” is the forthcoming single and album from David Bowie.
    Contrary to inaccurate reporting on the sound and content of the album, only the following can be confirmed:
    The single will be released on November 20th and is not part of David’s theatre piece Lazarus.
    The album will be released on David’s birthday, January 8th 2016.
    //

David Bowie is releasing the follow-up to 2013’s The Next Day in January, The Times Of London reports. It’s called Blackstar, and it was recorded at NYC’s Magic Shop studio with local jazz musicians. A short excerpt from the 10-minute title track was recently used as the theme song for the British TV series The Last Panthers, and the full track, which will also appear in Bowie’s upcoming musical play Lazarus, apparently features “Gregorian chants, a soul section, various electronic beats and bleeps and Bowie’s distinctive vocals.” The Times describes the rest of the 7-song LP as “an album of long, jazzy jams mixed with the kind of driving beat pioneered by Seventies German bands Can and Kraftwerk,” and according to a “Bowie insider” who’s already heard the record, it’s “completely bonkers.” There’s no official confirmation yet, but Blackstar is supposedly coming out 1/8, on Bowie’s 69th birthday, and the title track will be out next month on 11/19.

http://www.stereogum.com/1839505/dav...-january/news/

Quote Originally Posted by gpeccary View Post
    it’s “completely bonkers.”
    Ooh, they're playing my song!

Quote Originally Posted by bondegezou View Post
    Last I heard was 2002's Heathen, which I thought very strong.
    Top five Bowie album for me.
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

I love the cover for The Next Day - real ballsy to intentionally put out something so low-effort!
    Critter Jams "album of the week" blog: http://critterjams.wordpress.com

haven't listened to anything from Bowie since "Earthling"....

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    Ditto. I liked The Next Day; I just didn't think it was top-rank Bowie.

Worst...cover...ever. When I first saw it online I thought it was a joke, to be replaced at a later date by the real cover.
    Best...cover...ever! :-)

I've never seen Bowie in concert and I'm not sure he does them anymore. I hope he tours behind this one :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    Ooh, they're playing my song!
    Most things billed as "completely bonkers" aren't, though, least not after you've listened to lots of other completely bonkers music... (You should have seen how underwhelmed I looked when I first heard Trout Mask Replica.)

Henry
    Where Are They Now? Yes news: http://www.bondegezou.co.uk/wh_now.htm
    Blogdegezou, the accompanying blog: http://bondegezou.blogspot.com/

He apparently did a song with Maria Schneider. In my world, Maria Schneider is light years more relevant than DB-for whom I dig those Eno albums and not much else (Berlin period it was called ),

I'll br on the lookout for this, now

I loved The Next Day. To each their own…

I'm forgetting who it was now, but someone of note said something along the lines of "Artists have made entire careers out of one of Bowie's passing phases."