Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Hello all you wonderful peeps, I want to become a frequent member here if you let me

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    Good lord no. We're like Click & Clack the Tappet brothers, unencumbered by the thought process. We've proven over and over that two or more people who know nothing about a subject can have long and productive discussions about it.
    Right. And for the terminally offended, we're simply a means to an end.

Quote Originally Posted by 3LockBox View Post
    terminally offended.
    I object to being called a marshmallow confection.

Welcome, Sonia.

I remember when you commented about one of your albums covers (sorry, forget the name). But I do remember that you're talented.

Looking forward to more contributions.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

You only waited a hour before posting this. I'm guessing you don't have a job, spouse, kids, pets, hobbies, ailments that keep you occupied?
    Only a lover. Me.

Quote Originally Posted by dropforge View Post
    Only a lover. Me.
    You're not keeping her busy enough

You are all very friendly and cuddly group of people on here! Wow thank you very much
    I did came back here 3 times already today, felt a bit overwhelmed and thus quickly left with intent to return with more time to reply and thank everyone very much on here. I do not plan or want to keep this thread going, thus will keep it as brief as I can.

Quote Originally Posted by arabicadabra View Post
    Hi Sonia,

Greg Jones here! The Arabicadabra handle refers to the absolute magical qualities of the coffees I brew. Your passion for the music you love has always impressed me - the way the song Starless connects with you being one example. I think this site can be hard to feel comfortable in. I also suspect that there are some people who get all tongue-tied around a beautiful woman and may take a while to see your Snow White heart from their emotional dwarfism . But whatever the case, nice to see you here!
    Greg, hello!
    I am so happy to see you here! Thank you very much for saying such nice things, we do share a similar interest and/or taste in music. Starless is one of those songs that doesn't matter how many times I played it, it still leaves a lump in my throat, starting with that violin playing so beautiful, feels just as special and fresh each time. Again thank you so much for everything.
    A big hug to you xx

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    I can assure you Sonia's interest in prog is real. She's been an active member in PA for years. She's also active artiste for some prog acts.

welcome here Sonia
    Hello Sean,
    I am really grateful and appreciate very much what you said here above.
    This was very nice, kind and awesome of you.

Thank you very, VERY, much! xxx

Quote Originally Posted by arabicadabra View Post
    And here's a question you can answer: if one were to start investigating Corvus Stone, where would you recommend one begin and why?
    Greg,
    I would suggest any new listener to start with their current 3rd album, Corvus Stone Unscrewed. This album will allow you to feel how the other albums sound.
    While many are new tracks, some are remixes or revisited of earlier tracks from their first album but now more dynamic (average dynamic range of the album is 13) or have new instrumental arrangements. The reason for this is because at the time when the drummer joined the band most tracks were already written/done.

Also both previous albums are 79min long which is quite a lot to take in all at once. CS Unscrewed is only 49mins long

This third album was also partly released as a thank you for their fans and supporters, anyone who has bought either one of their 2 previous albums gets CS Unscrewed for free.

All 3 albums are packet with a lot music, they are mainly an instrumental band with a few guest vocalists, among other guest musicians.

hugs xxx

Quote Originally Posted by Sonia_Mota View Post
    anyone who has bought either one of their 2 previous albums gets CS Unscrewed for free.
    There's a joke in there someplace, but I'm not reaching for it.

It's 6 am here, I have to go get ready for work but will return asap to reply here to whom I unfortunately can't reply right now.

Outstanding, thank you!

Greg,
    I would suggest any new listener to start with their current 3rd album, Corvus Stone Unscrewed. This album will allow you to feel how the other albums sound.
    While many are new tracks, some are remixes or revisited of earlier tracks from their first album but now more dynamic (average dynamic range of the album is 13) or have new instrumental arrangements. The reason for this is because at the time when the drummer joined the band most tracks were already written/done.

Also both previous albums are 79min long which is quite a lot to take in all at once. CS Unscrewed is only 49mins long

This third album was also partly released as a thank you for their fans and supporters, anyone who has bought either one of their 2 previous albums gets CS Unscrewed for free.

All 3 albums are packet with a lot music, they are mainly an instrumental band with a few guest vocalists, among other guest musicians.

hugs xxx

hahahaha rcarlberg, hahaha you made me laugh now thank you, see you soon.

hugs xxx

Quote Originally Posted by dropforge View Post
    You only waited a hour before posting this. I'm guessing you don't have a job, spouse, kids, pets, hobbies, ailments that keep you occupied?
    Only a lover. Me.

You're not keeping her busy enough

I think Sonia was a bit surprised by the time zone this forum uses... Contrary to PA, which has a lot of Europeans, PE is very-much more new worldly, therefore most active when she'd be asleep.

My guess is Mozambique is aligned on the Moscow time zone... or maybe the Istanbul/Warsaw/Cairo one.

Hello Sean,
    I am really grateful and appreciate very much what you said here above.
    This was very nice, kind and awesome of you.

Thank you very, VERY, much! xxx
    Only if you call me Hugues (I dropped the Sean part a long time ago, because there were already three Sean here)

It's 6 am here, I have to go get ready for work but will return asap to reply here to whom I unfortunately can't reply right now.
    remember them time zones ;-))))

Oh, BTW, just in case anyone is wondering, that's her real picture.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Very nice to see another lady here at Man Music Central. And a very pretty lady to boot...

Welcome, Sonia!
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    Ok, now I remember... that album cover... I think she got overwhelmed and ran away back then.

We'll see.

Like I said before, chime in anywhere, Sonia and welcome back.

I'm on here every 10 minutes and I have a job and stuff so that doesn't mean anything (I have a cool job of course.)

Welcome, Sonia! Thanks for joining us here, we desperately need some estrogen on this site! We still have some ladies around here, but there used to be a lot more; I hope we didn't scare them away with our occasional overflowing testosterone.

I actually like all kinds of music, although I tend to prefer instrumental music, simply because most vocalists are really not that good especially compared to David Byron, Freddie Mercury, Paul McCartney, Robert Plant, Daniel Gildenlow etc. just to name a selective few. Although sometimes I do love lyrics, some are preachy and I really don't care to be preached upon, I left school ages ago.

An example of great singer song writer to me are Roger Waters and David Bowie.

Great guitarists for me are Jeff Beck (he plays the most sensitive endearing notes), Al DiMeola (race with the devil on a Spanish highway OMG no one can beat that!), Brian May (he plays most memorable tunes, I love tunes) Joe Satriani (prolific awesome), Santana (guitar samba added by great percussion), just to name a few.

I enjoy avant garde jazz, the likes of Miles Davis, Gerry Mulligan, Chet Baker, John Coltrane, Dizzy Gillespie etc. Bitches Brew album by Miles Davis extends beyond that and I love this album so much!

Guitar by far is my fav instrument, other fav string instrument is the piano. Favourite brass instrument is the sax (Miles plays Trumpet, I know).

My taste in music is diverse, from The Beatles to Tom Waits, to Pink Floyd etc etc etc.
    You have good tastes in music! Feel free to join our small (not an overwhelming amount of jazz fans here) but mighty entourage in the "Jazz Discussion" thread. I thought I knew a lot about jazz, but that thread taught me that I don't know as much as I thought.

Hope you'll stay awhile! And btw, I suspect that you were never an "ugly duckling."

Hello JJ88,

Thank you for saying this, it's very nice to meet you.

Hug,
    Sonia

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    Welcome Sonia! Stick with it, ignore a few things, and you'll find much to enjoy here.
    I read you on PA in the thread about PE, and you should be fine here. Every now and then, just let comments roll off like water off a duck's back. Always remember : Prog fans are highly opinionated, not as smart as they think they are, and very, very literal. There's also a contrarian strain here, but thankfully not a majority. However, most of the people here like to have fun, and are serious music fans. One way to find like-minded individuals is to join in on Way Off Topic threads that interest you.
    Lastly, if that avatar is a picture of you, the term "ugly duckling" is not applicable.

Hello Moerculythanu, thank you very much for the welcome!

Hahahaha love what you said and how you describe things. I do understand what you mean, as you read my comments on PA, we also have our fair share of grumpies.

I personally find Life is hard enough to take things too seriously.

In my own twisted mind I find forums like this a great escape, unlike i.e. facebook where friends just keep posting random i.e. cute puppy or cat pics (I love animals don't get me wrong) or keep posting how miserable they feel. Here everyone's main focus is the love for music, as corny as it sounds, it is a great passion, something we really love to express/share and enjoy discussing. Also the humour is an added bonus.
    xxx

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    Hi Sonia, good to see you here, you'll fit in fine, you posted in the middle of the night in the USA which may be the reason for getting nothing for the first few hours.

Welcome aboard (no hugs emoji here so we'll go with)

Ian, hello, I am glad to see you here too! Thank you.

hahaha you must be relieved with "no hugs emoji here", because you are really one of the nicest person but you don't like hugs
    xxx

Quote Originally Posted by Sputnik View Post
    Everyone is welcome on this board, until proven otherwise.

I recall you posted a while back with some of your artwork. I thought you exhibited a really positive attitude in that thread in the face of a few somewhat critical comments. I thought that was really classy. I also think your post above shows you have broad tastes and a good knowledge of music generally. I think you would be a welcome addition here to the discussion, and hope you feel comfortable just jumping in, which you should. I personally would enjoy reading your take on a lot of what we discuss here.

Hope that makes you feel more welcome, and I hope to see you around the forum!

Bill
    Hello Bill,

Yes, I clearly remember the forum topic discussion, "a few somewhat critical comments" you put it in such kind and nice way hahaha... yep that album cover work was the butt of jokes for sure, from cottage skin, to the plague mark hahaha all valid opinions to be honest and I did see the humour in it too.

To be fair when I friend came to fb and told me about it I came to the forum and knew it would be more awkward to them then it would be for me really as they did not expect the "artist" of that work if you will, to appear and comment aswell.

I laughed with everyone a good way and had great fun on that thread.

Thank you very much for the welcoming comments and I too am looking forward to be active commenting on forum topics.

I do have to reply and thank everyone here first for being really nice.

I am looking forward to see you around the forum, Bill again, thank you very much.
    xxx

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    Hi Sonia.

Any fan of Bitches Brew is a friend of mine!

Hello Progatron,

Aha! Awesome, my friend Progatron!
    xxx

P.S. Sketches of Spain is another great album by Miles, I do prefer Bitches Brew tho'

Quote Originally Posted by klothos View Post
    Hi Sonia -- Actually, I remember you: we had a brief conversation about the current state of music programming

Looking forward to chatting with you more

Hi Klothos,

Yes I remember this, was it on a radio chatroom? Compression (problem with removing top and bottom end) loudness war and/or dynamic range?

Thanks looking forward to chatting with you too!
    xxx

Quote Originally Posted by walt View Post
    Hello Sonia.Welcome to The Lodge.
    Hello Walt,

Thank you very much
    xxx

Guitar by far is my fav instrument

Hi Klothos,

Yes I remember this, was it on a radio chatroom? Compression (problem with removing top and bottom end) loudness war and/or dynamic range?

Thanks looking forward to chatting with you too!
    xxx
    we just scratched the surface on the process of the vernacular music programming process
    Last edited by klothos; 10-27-2015 at 04:23 PM.

The bass is a guitar too.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    Sonia! Very cool to see you here! Tell us your favorite bands! I want to see if some are mine too!
    Thank you, Hugues big grin here ..

I will reply to you and Don, here below, simultaneously regarding bands/music that I enjoy listening.

big hug
    xxx

Quote Originally Posted by Don Arnold View Post
    Welcome Sonia (see, we do welcome new folks , it just sometimes takes a bit to come out of the woodwork).

BTW, what country do you call home? And one more question: Which Prog artist/band is your favourite from the 70's, and which is your favourite from the modern era?

Enjoy your stay!
    Hello Don,

Thank you for the welcome and indeed everyone is very welcoming here.

I am Portuguese but live and work in Mozambique (next to South Africa).

For me it's hard to pick a favourite because I like a whole lot of bands and/or specific albums.
    from that 70's depending on the mood I am at that given moment.

If I had to pick the best all time band, I'd probably pick the Beatles, they to me were revolutionary especially for the 60's when the white album came out, there was nothing like it before. I also love the fact that they could produce serious music with silly song lyrics.
    Second best for me overall is Pink Floyd.
    I often revert to other favourites like Zappa, Queen, Genesis, YES, Focus, Led Zeppelin, early Uriah Heep (David Byron and Ken Hensley era), KC and so many others... too many to mention

My favourite artist is David Bowie, although I am not a fan of his 80's music.

I like many current bands too, one of those is Pain of Salvation, I even travelled to Sweden to see them perform live, also enjoyed seeing Beardfish and Gungfly live while I was there. Opeth's Pale Communion album released last year is very good too!
    My recent discovery left me speechless and happy at the same time, Tiger Moth Tales, wow it's outstanding, brilliant even.
    Also I like Corvus Stone's music so much, the band kind of have decided to adopt me

Joe Satriani's new album Shockwave Supernova is absolutely brilliant. Also I don't understand why he is not listed on ProgArchives.

Again thank you, and again, ty you too, Hugues
    xxx

Hi Sonia!

Principal prog question: Roger Dean or Storm Thorgerson?

In other wor(l)ds: Utagawa Hiroshige or René Magritte?
    Last edited by Jay.Dee; 10-28-2015 at 06:12 AM.