Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Modern Blues Rock Bands

Modern Blues Rock Bands

Lately, I have been getting into modern blues/hard rock bands. Some of the bands that I have enjoyed are:

Black Country Communion
    Blindstone
    Joe Bonamassa
    Stoney Curtis Band
    Chris Duarte Group
    Craig Erickson
    Robin Ford
    Eric Gales
    Paul Gilbert
    Ben Granfelt Band
    Alvin Youngblood Hart
    Billy Lee Janey Band
    Jay Jesse Johnson
    Richie Kotzen
    Lance Lopez
    Philip Sayce
    Innes Sibun
    Storyville
    Andy Timmons Band
    Walter Trout

Any I've missed? Please give me some recomendations.

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    Gary Clark, Jr.
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

also,
    Blues Travelers

I like the Paul Reddick clip. I will investigate more. I have many Blues Travelers albums. I forgot to list them.

I will also check out the Gary Clark.

Thanks.

Check out Indigenous. Not "hard rock" but most definitely blues. Mato Nanji both sings and plays like the second coming of Stevie Ray.
    Also a collaboration between Nanji, Luther Dickinson of North Mississippi Allstars, and the magnificent David Hidalgo of Los Lobos called "3 Skulls and the Truth". Blues/rock guitar heaven.

Quote Originally Posted by headcrash View Post
    Check out Indigenous. Not "hard rock" but most definitely blues. Mato Nanji both sings and plays like the second coming of Stevie Ray.
    Also a collaboration between Nanji, Luther Dickinson of North Mississippi Allstars, and the magnificent David Hidalgo of Los Lobos called "3 Skulls and the Truth". Blues/rock guitar heaven.
    I am a big fan of all three but did not know of this album. Going to Amazon right now.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Mountain View Post
    Lately, I have been getting into modern blues/hard rock bands. Some of the bands that I have enjoyed are:

Black Country Communion
    Blindstone
    Joe Bonamassa
    Stoney Curtis Band
    Chris Duarte Group
    Craig Erickson
    Robin Ford
    Eric Gales
    Paul Gilbert
    Ben Granfelt Band
    Alvin Youngblood Hart
    Billy Lee Janey Band
    Jay Jesse Johnson
    Richie Kotzen
    Lance Lopez
    Philip Sayce
    Innes Sibun
    Storyville
    Andy Timmons Band
    Walter Trout

I am into a lot of the same artists. Someone else already mentioned Indigenous and I agree they are great. I would also throw in Gov't Mule, Olie Brown, Joanne Shaw Taylor, Tommy Castro (if you don't mind a little soul with your rock), Ronnie Baker Brooks.

Steve Sly

Quote Originally Posted by spellbound View Post
    Gary Clark, Jr.
    I've been hearing a lot about this guy lately. Gonna have to check him out.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

And of course, if you want some cajun with your blues rock, the incredible Sonny Landreth.

I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Tinsley Ellis-Storm Warning; Fire It Up
    Michael Hill's Blues Mob-Bloodlines; Have Mercy
    Johnny Winter-Progressive Blues Experiment, released in 1969 but it's a killer!
    Pat Travers
    Luther Allison-Blue Streak
    Warren Haynes-Tales Of Ordinary Madness
    Duke Robillard-Rockin' Blues
    Smokin' Joe Kubek Band
    Buddy Guy-Stone Crazy, one of his most intense, hard rocking albums.

IMO the guy to check out that just about blows them all away is Michael Lee Firkins. He mixes shred with blues, country and funk all done in a very progressive manner. His last Magna Carta CD Blacklight Sonatas and his first ST Shrapnel release are my personal favorites. His technique is absolutely amazing. When you think he is playing slide it is actually all whammy bar and he does some songs where the entire song is slide. Saw him last year do Sabbaths War Pigs entirely via slide, solos and all. Tons of cool you tube videos to check out.

I should also mention Paul Gilbert who is a personal favorite of mine. His latest CD is very Zappaesque IMO and has a great ACDC cover as well as a great cover of Roundabout. Lastly, be sure to check out all of the Ritchie Kotzen stuff including his later vocal soul stuff and the project Wilson Hawk. Wilson Hawk is OOO but is still available as a digital download. Very Motownesque.

[QUOTE=Jerjo;29374]And of course, if you want some cajun with your blues rock, the incredible Sonny Landreth.

Yea, I forgot about Sonny, he is the shit. Another cajun dude would be Tab Benoit. Great Stuff.

Steve Sly

Quote Originally Posted by headcrash View Post
    Just got my copy in the mail today - sweet mercy, this kicks ass and takes names!

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Seasick Steve

The Hoax have 2 studio and one live album... or at least that's what I have. Good stuff!

This one is originally from "Humdinger":

And this one is originally from "Sounds Like This":

Quote Originally Posted by Jay G View Post
    IMO the guy to check out that just about blows them all away is Michael Lee Firkins. He mixes shred with blues, country and funk all done in a very progressive manner.
    Agreed.

I saw him open up for Montrose about a year and a half ago and he was tearin' it up. He played all covers though. I haven't checked out any of his albums, but I would go see him in a second if he came back through town.

^^^^
    Firkins has some good original material on his first three albums. S/T; Chapter Eleven; Cactus Cruz.

Chapter Eleven is probably the best representation of all the styles he plays, and I think it's the
    best sounding record of the three.
    Last edited by Reid; 01-15-2013 at 10:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Mountain View Post

Chris Duarte

The only one I've actually heard though is Black Country Communion who are very good.
    Do not suffer through the game of chance that plays....always doors to lock away your dreams (To Be Over)

Check out Mike Henderson & The Bluebloods and Little Jimmy King. Both bands contain members of Double Trouble.

Another modern blues rock artist that I have recently discovered is Samantha Fish. She is a really young blond guitar slinger who also has an incredible voice.

Steve Sly

Quote Originally Posted by Reid View Post
    ^^^^
    Firkins has some good original material on his first three albums. S/T; Chapter Eleven; Cactus Cruz.

Chapter Eleven is probably the best representation of all the styles he plays, and I think it's the
    best sounding record of the three.
    Chapter Eleven and Cactus Cruz are both nice but don't compare IMO to the ST or the Blacklight Sonatas. His album Decomposition is a nice set of covers. For some cool original stuff check out Space Crickets, Crying Stacks, Laughing Stacks, Horse and the Fly, Two Guns Left. However, my favorite MLF song is one of his 2 covers of Street Beater (Theme from Sanford and Son). They both just smoke.

One of my favorite Firkins moments. Sorry don't recall how to embed the video but check this out. Absolutely sick technique.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOC11NiyfSE

I'm going to move away from the more traditional blues recommendations here and throw out a couple of great bands that I think could best be described as "blues-based" but with a lot of other things going on. One of those is Clutch, which mixes blues influences with stoner rock and a Southern swagger. The other is Graveyard, a group of Swedes that looks, and sounds, like they stepped right out of 1972 with a heavy psychedelic-blues sound, and great songwriting. Check out their album Hisingen Blues....good stuff.

eta: And has this thread gone on this long with no mention of Gary Moore???? For my money, he's the best that there was.

Also, let's not forget that the mighty Cactus are still out there going strong. They put out a reunion CD called V a few years back, and are always out on tour.

I also second the Graveyard pick-excellent Swedish band. Their new CD Lights Out is great. If you like that '70s hard rock/blues rock thing, there's a bunch of great Swedish bands to check out, like Witchcraft, Troubled Horse, Captain Crimson, Three Seasons, and Horisont.