Thread: OPETH: 25th Anniversary tour

OPETH: 25th Anniversary tour

I'm sure this will get more comments about the vocals than about the chops this band possesses, but they once again blew the stage up last night. This time at the Beacon Theater their east coast appearance for their 25th anniversary. They played Ghost Reveries in its entirety, pissed off for a break, then came back and did an entire set of material spanning their career. And killed it as usual. Three hour show of unbridled madness. These guys never disappoint in concert. They are so flipping tight its ridiculous. The sound was great, I was on the floor, the crowd was totally cranked up and wild. I've managed to see them every time they've come near me since 2005, and they keep getting better. The band can do anything. Martin Axenrot, the drummer, is a freak, so good. Vocals aside, this bands chops are second to none in my book.

I didn't realize they were on tour, or that they were doing GR in full. That is my favorite album of theirs, I would've enjoyed seeing that show. Glad to hear it was so good
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

I sure wish this was a "tour". Bummed they did't come back to the States for a 2nd leg proper headlining tour for their last album. The Beacon show sounds amazing, and LA will get it too, but I wonder why they're not doing it as a full-blown tour. Well, I've seen some good shows from them already, maybe again some day.

I'm not sure why it isn't a full blown tour over here. They seem to be doing a fair amount of festivals in Europe though. I don't think they did a ton of shows for the Blackwater Park anniversary either. Maybe they're just oiling the gears for another album!

Quote Originally Posted by gpeccary View Post
    I'm not sure why it isn't a full blown tour over here. They seem to be doing a fair amount of festivals in Europe though. I don't think they did a ton of shows for the Blackwater Park anniversary either. Maybe they're just oiling the gears for another album!
    If their next album is any where near as good as Pale Communion, I'm in.

Hard to believe they've been around for 25 years!!
    You say Mega Ultra Deluxe Special Limited Edition Extended Autographed 5-LP, 3-CD, 4-DVD, 2-BlueRay, 4-Cassette, five 8-Track, MP4 Download plus Demos, Outtakes, Booklet, T-Shirt and Guitar Pick Gold-Leafed Box Set Version like it's a bad thing...

^^^I know right? He said the same thing!

chalkpie
    I'm sure this will get more comments about the vocals than about the chops this band possesses, but they once again blew the stage up last night. This time at the Beacon Theater their east coast appearance for their 25th anniversary. They played Ghost Reveries in its entirety, pissed off for a break, then came back and did an entire set of material spanning their career. And killed it as usual. Three hour show of unbridled madness. These guys never disappoint in concert. They are so flipping tight its ridiculous. The sound was great, I was on the floor, the crowd was totally cranked up and wild. I've managed to see them every time they've come near me since 2005, and they keep getting better. The band can do anything. Martin Axenrot, the drummer, is a freak, so good. Vocals aside, this bands chops are second to none in my book.
    Thanks for the insight brother! Glad you loved it - I need to bust out GR - hopefully soon - its been a long long time since I spun that bitch. Still my favorite album by these lunatics.

Honestly how was Mikaels growling this time around? He sounded a bit weak on that RAH live album, like he was losing it.

I was there too, great show. I will say though that while I really enjoyed Heritage and Pale Communion when they were released, I rarely revisit them and hearing a few of those songs in between other classics live last night emphasized how much more clever I think the older songwriting style was in general.

Quote Originally Posted by marblesmike View Post
    I was there too, great show. I will say though that while I really enjoyed Heritage and Pale Communion when they were released, I rarely revisit them and hearing a few of those songs in between other classics live last night emphasized how much more clever I think the older songwriting style was in general.
    I play Pale Communion at least once a week as it was my 2014 "Album of the Year". My friend saw them last year when they were the opening act for Porcupine Tree. They played the whole PC album and none of the old stuff and some of the old core Opeth fans got pissed and left. While the Porcupine Tree fans expecting a "Growlfest" were pleasantly surprised and very appreciative.

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    Thanks for the insight brother! Glad you loved it - I need to bust out GR - hopefully soon - its been a long long time since I spun that bitch. Still my favorite album by these lunatics.

Honestly how was Mikaels growling this time around? He sounded a bit weak on that RAH live album, like he was losing it.
    Mikaels vocals were killer. I agree, there was a period where he swore the growling off, and when he did them, they did sound weak. I think he realized playing only heritage and pale communion style music was far too polarizing. A lot of fans bailed, a lot came in, a lot stayed. I think the second half of the show was really well balanced in terms of styles. It illustrated just how good these guys are. I believe the beacon was sold out. It was fun and thrilling to look around at everyone on their feet, bangin all at once, a really energetic and supportive crowd for sure. And there were some old fuckers there too, older than me, which I thought was fantastic!

Quote Originally Posted by Jack in Wilmington View Post
    I play Pale Communion at least once a week as it was my 2014 "Album of the Year". My friend saw them last year when they were the opening act for Porcupine Tree. They played the whole PC album and none of the old stuff and some of the old core Opeth fans got pissed and left. While the Porcupine Tree fans expecting a "Growlfest" were pleasantly surprised and very appreciative.
    They haven't opened for PT since 2002/3. And PT haven't toured since 2010, so not sure what your friend saw last year.

They never played PC all the way through, even on its initial touring. They played 3 songs max from the album.

In 2010 or thereabouts when Heritage came out the initial tour was all non-growl stuff and the crowd was restless. Even then they didn't open for anyone. In fact, since I started seeing Opeth live in 2006 no one has opened for them.

And PT fans expecting a growlfest? Spreading misinformation a bit? PT has NO growling in their music and even at their heaviest are barely considered metal.

I think he meant PT fans expecting an Opeth growl fest were pleasantly surprised.

Mikaels vocals were killer. I agree, there was a period where he swore the growling off, and when he did them, they did sound weak.
    I'm really glad to hear this; my appreciation for the Royal Albert Hall set was really hampered by the weaker vocal style.

I don't need all my music to have growls but man, if you're gonna do them? SCORCH THAT EARTH TO ASH, MOFO
    Last edited by battema; 10-26-2015 at 10:10 AM.
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

I saw Opeth in L.A. and it was one of the most enthusiastic, appreciative, and respectful crowds I've ever been a part of. The entire show was just a lovefest.

I saw Genesis in L.A. and I was surrounded by obnoxious, drunk assholes.

You just never know.

Quote Originally Posted by Garden Dreamer View Post
    Hard to believe they've been around for 25 years!!
    My thoughts exactly when I read the Thread title.

Quote Originally Posted by PotatoSolution View Post
    I saw Opeth in L.A. and it was one of the most enthusiastic, appreciative, and respectful crowds I've ever been a part of. The entire show was just a lovefest.

I saw Genesis in L.A. and I was surrounded by obnoxious, drunk assholes.

You just never know.
    Yeah this tour was indeed a love fest. When I saw the Heritage tour, those assholes from the genesis show must have wandered into the heritage show. They absolutely ruined the concert for me. Yelling blackwater park, trying to yell over the band playing, horror show.

chalkpie
    Imagine these guys on their 100th anniversary tour......

I am. They still kick ass.

Sent Via PE's Mobile App
    <sig out of order>

chalkpie
    Quote Originally Posted by Plasmatopia View Post
    I am. They still kick ass.

Sent Via PE's Mobile App
    Mikael is in his walker all hunched over - still jammin' on his PRS and then proceeds to toss his dirty dentures into the crowd and busts out laughing. Then he pulls down his trousers and moons the audience, pisses on Axelrods walking cane and floor tom, and growls "EAT MY WRINKLED ASS YOU TENDERFOOT MOTHERFUCKERS....GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!! !". Sorry just thinking out loud.

chalkpie
    Quote Originally Posted by battema View Post
    That is my favorite album of theirs
    Right on brother

To me this also still seems to be the best sounding album - or at least my favorite production by theirs. The drums just sound so good on that - really really fat but warm. Guitars also just kick all sorts of ass.

Yeah this tour was indeed a love fest. When I saw the Heritage tour, those assholes from the genesis show must have wandered into the Heritage show. They absolutely ruined the concert for me. Yelling blackwater park, trying to yell over the band playing, horror show.
    yup you nailed it. I felt awful for the band.

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    Mikael is in his walker all hunched over - still jammin' on his PRS and then proceeds to toss his dirty dentures into the crowd and busts out laughing. Then he pulls down his trousers and moons the audience, pisses on Axelrods walking cane and floor tom, and growls "EAT MY WRINKLED ASS YOU TENDERFOOT MOTHERFUCKERS....GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!! !". Sorry just thinking out loud.
    Exactly as I had imagined it!
    <sig out of order>

I think he meant PT fans expecting an Opeth growl fest were pleasantly surprised.
    Exactly what I meant. I can only go by what people post. I don't bother checking on the authenticity of what they post.