Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: "Is that their real name?" department

Quote Originally Posted by Supersonic Scientist View Post
    I think I once read that you cannot name your child "Hitler" either.
    That's why I never had kids.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bob_32_116 View Post
    Is Wavy Gravy a person?

Back in the early 90s, someone where I worked cut a birth announcement out of the newspaper and hung it by the coffee maker:

"Mr. and Mrs. Cox announce the birth of their daughter Fonda."
    --
    The internet was better before Berners-Lee let the riff-raff in.

Never understood why NASCAR driver Richard Trickle went by "Dick"
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Before Wavy Gravy & the Hog Farm (featured prominently in the Woodstock film), there was Hugh Romney the hippie poet.

Since his last name was the same as a prominent Republican of the day, Mitt's father George, he legally changed his name to Wavy Gravy, and iirc is still called Wavy by the people in his universe to this day. He's 79 now.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post
    Before Wavy Gravy & the Hog Farm (featured prominently in the Woodstock film), there was Hugh Romney the hippie poet.

Since his last name was the same as a prominent Republican of the day, Mitt's father George, he legally changed his name to Wavy Gravy, and iirc is still called Wavy by the people in his universe to this day. He's 79 now.
    Thanks for enlightening me!

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    Wasn't there a folk singer named John Wesley Harding? Dude, either you were really unlucky, or you've got amazing chutzpah choosing the title of a Bob Dylan record as your stage name.
    He did name himself after the Dylan song/album, although at least "Wesley" is his real first name.

Yogi Berra
    Bev Bevins
    "Normal is just the average of extremes" - Gary Lessor

Quote Originally Posted by bigbassdrum View Post
    Yogi Berra
    Predates the cartoon obviously -- although the name was borrowed, the personality was based on somebody else, Art Carney's character Ed Norton from The Honeymooners.

W
    How the hell do you know about Biff, Dave?? (I'm guessing the KC connection he has)

Biff Uranus Blumfumgagne (only 2 g's) is a friend of mine and has been for several years.
    He sings back up on Belew's live album Side Four. Belew gives him a shout out after one of the tunes.
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

Seriously? That's why he changed his name? I never knew that, but I guess it makes sense. There's a Simpsons episode where Mr. Burns infiltrates an animal rights group by pretending to be Wavy Gravy.

And isn't there a Ben And Jerry's Wavy Gravy flavor?

Quote Originally Posted by bigbassdrum View Post
    Bev Bevins
    That's his real name (Bevan, actually), shortened from Beverly Bevan; in the States Beverly would usually be a female name.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    Never understood why NASCAR driver Richard Trickle went by "Dick"
    I wonder if he's ever met NH politician Dick Swett?

I worked at a place where we had a Pete Moss and a Peter Dick. Their parents had to be either clueless or cruel.

Roy Wood has a daughter who's name is Holly Wood. Oh, the humanity!
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.

True story: I have a cousin named Londonne Englund
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Elvis Presley
    Richard Starkey
    Bobby Zimmerman
    Michael Jagger
    Jim Osterberg

I see a lot of bands mention here with funny names. Like Tame Impala..... Seriously, I think it's hysterical.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    That's his real name (Bevan, actually), shortened from Beverly Bevan; in the States Beverly would usually be a female name.
    Bev talks about that in his book. I think he said his father gave him that name to "toughen him up", ie his dad knew he'd probably get picked for having a "girl's name" so he had to learn how to fight back. Kinda like that Johnny Cash song A Boy Named Sue.

Quote Originally Posted by Lopez View Post
    Roy Wood has a daughter who's name is Holly Wood. Oh, the humanity!
    There was a Canadian band back in the 80's called Toronto. Their lead singer called herself Holly Wood. I swear their one Stateside hit (well, it was sort of a hit, anyway, I remember seeing the video on TV at least enough times for me to remember it) sounds like someone in the band (or maybe their record company) said "How can write a song that's a blatant ripoff of Jessie's Girl, without getting sued for it?!".

What about people who name their kids after their own surname, ie Edward Edwards (I met an Ed Edwards at NEARfest once, actually), Evan Evans (son of legendary pianist Bill Evans), etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    I see a lot of bands mention here with funny names. Like Tame Impala..... Seriously, I think it's hysterical.
    Everytime I see a post about Samurai Of Prog, I swear, I keep hearing Don Pardo saying, "And now it's time for another episode of Samurai Prog Rock Musician!" in my head. I keep expecting to find out the singer dresses up as John Belushi in his Samurai guise or something.

You can name your kid Adolph but it doesn't seem very popular these days.

Someone mentioned Prairie Prince ...

How about Fee Waybill?
    "Normal is just the average of extremes" - Gary Lessor

Suspended
    I was always intrigued by Major Lance. At first I thought it was a group. When I learned it was one man, I thought surely "Major" must be a nickname or an assumed title, but apparently "Major" was his given name.

Regarding the Hall of Fame linebacker, it's spelled "Butkus," not "Butkis."