Thread: Coil reissues

Coil reissues

Looks like the whole Coil discography is finally going to see a legitimate reissue programme on CD:

http://www.factmag.com/2015/10/14/co...hold-archives/

http://brainwashed.com/bark/projects-coil.html

Great news I think. It looks like the first batch is eight CDs to be released on or around 23rd October: The Angelic Conversation, Panic, The Wheel, The Anal Staircase, The Consequences of Raising Hell, Wrong Eye, Windowpane and The Snow.

I must admit I don't know most of these albums at all. Any knowledgeable Coil listeners got comments?

EDIT: Looks like this batch is mainly expanded version of EPs and singles rather than albums proper.
    Last edited by Mascodagama; 10-22-2015 at 01:27 PM.

Start with The Wheel.

Spyros (Spacefreak) will probably/hopefully chime in.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by Mascodagama View Post
    Great news I think. It looks like the first batch is eight CDs to be released on or around 23rd October: The Angelic Conversation, Panic, The Wheel, The Anal Staircase, The Consequences of Raising Hell, Wrong Eye, Windowpane and The Snow.
    As originals, these titles you mention were NOT full albums but singles & EPs (and in the case of The Angelic Conversation, a VHS tape from the 1985 film by Derek Jarman, later released on CD as a soundtrack). So they are auxilliary additions to their main albums discography. Some are excellent as stand alone tracks but I don't know what the filler material for all these reissues that you mention, will be. I'd rather had ONE double CD album consisting from all of them, than a bunch of eight disks. Additionally, some of this material has been released in the Unnatural History compilation series (3 separate volumes).

If you are interested in something that works as an entire album in its concept, then my proposal is to try The Angelic Conversation, but I read somewhere that the reissue misses the the two vocal tracks with the Shakespearean sonnets that were on the original CD, making the disk entirely instrumental.
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Quote Originally Posted by spacefreak View Post
    As originals, these titles you mention were NOT full albums but singles & EPs (and in the case of The Angelic Conversation, a VHS tape from the 1985 film by Derek Jarman, later released on CD as a soundtrack). So they are auxilliary additions to their main albums discography. Some are excellent as stand alone tracks but I don't know what the filler material for all these reissues that you mention, will be. I'd rather had ONE double CD album consisting from all of them, than a bunch of eight disks. Additionally, some of this material has been released in the Unnatural History compilation series (3 separate volumes).

If you are interested in something that works as an entire album in its concept, then my proposal is to try The Angelic Conversation, but I read somewhere that the reissue misses the the two vocal tracks with the Shakespearean sonnets that were on the original CD, making the disk entirely instrumental.
    Thanks very much for these tips. It does look like The Angelic Conversation is without the sonnets - though there's still about 70 minutes of material on the CD, so not a short measure. In fact each of these eight CDs has between 56 and 70 minutes of material, though not all of it may be worthwhile, as you note.

It may be academic anyway as my preferred supplier (Norman Records in the UK) has already sold out and is not sure if / when more will be available They said the demand surprised them - it seems like there's a lot of hungry Coil enthusiasts out there.

Thanks very much for these tips. [...] In fact each of these eight CDs has between 56 and 70 minutes of material, though not all of it may be worthwhile, as you note.
    I've been told that the additional tracks are unreleased demos. So I think that it is more a completist affair. I would rather wait for the proper albums to be reissued if I were in your place. But, as I foretold, from this bunch I would go for The Angelic Conversation even without the vocals and narrative.

It does look like The Angelic Conversation is without the sonnets - though there's still about 70 minutes of material on the CD, so not a short measure.
    I guess that they had expanded the instrumental parts in some way.

It may be academic anyway as my preferred supplier (Norman Records in the UK) has already sold out and is not sure if / when more will be available
    Say hello to Phil! .

They said the demand surprised them - it seems like there's a lot of hungry Coil enthusiasts out there.
    I am not surprised at all. Coil have a mythical status at younger audiences (the fact that the two main members are not among us just accentuates the fact) and also the prices most of their albums do have on the internet is indicative that they are on constant demand.
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

I've been told that the additional tracks are unreleased demos. So I think that it is more a completist affair. I would rather wait for the proper albums to be reissued if I were in your place. But, as I foretold, from this bunch I would go for The Angelic Conversation even without the vocals and narrative.
    I am really more excited about the proper albums & will try and be quicker if/when those come out! Meantime I might pick up The Angelic Conversation and maybe The Snow if I can get them.

Right now all I have of Coil is some cassettes a friend made for me years ago, that I can't even play because I don't have a tape deck any more.

Say hello to Phil! .
    Will do

I am not surprised at all. Coil have a mythical status at younger audiences (the fact that the two main members are not among us just accentuates the fact) and also the prices most of their albums do have on the internet is indicative that they are on constant demand.
    Yeah, second hand prices on this stuff are a bitch.