Thread: Mercury Rev - The Light In You

Mercury Rev - The Light In You

Any love for these guys out there? I've always enjoyed their releases, right from the earlier more experimental days, and the new one has really grabbed my ear, especially the final track "Rainy Day Record", which captures that thrill of finding a great record, and name-checks quite a few left-field favourites in the lyrics...

For the first time in forever,
    I bought a record for a rainy day
    Pretty soon they'll be gone forever,
    Or at least thats what they say
    And when I hear whats turned to gold now,
    I really wish I had 'turned to stone'
    The tone arm moves, the vinyl crackles
    And suddenly I'm not alone

For the first time in forever
    I lay the needle down inside the groove
    And for the first time in forever
    I hold my breath waitin' for side two

Bands crash and people cry,
    Everyone here is really shook
    Trying hard, the kids can't shake it
    You can't fool ol' Peter Hook

They really want to but they just can't fake it,
    Trying hard to look old and worn
    Facebook butterflies flap their wings and
    Suddenly a Brooklyn band is born

I hold my breath waiting for side two

I feel like getting lost in it too

Translator, Wire, Dead Can Dance
    A needle on a record's a second chance
    Talk Talk, Felt, Romeo Void
    Give me The Fall, "I'm totally wired"
    Splat Cats, Opal, Terry Riley
    Kaka de Luxe and Derek and Clive
    I'm so bored of four on the floor
    Bring me the ear of Thurston Moore

Popul Vuh, Agitpop
    Elliott Smith, The Dream Syndicate

I bought a record for a rainy day
    Pretty soon they'll be gone forever
    Or at least thats what they say

I hold my breath waitin' for side two

I'm hearing bands like they're all brand new

Funny, just listened to the CD again (got me the LP/CD-combo b.t.w.) and also funny you mention this song, since I posted this last week in another thread: http://www.progressiveears.org/forum...in-song)/page7

I started listening to them when Deserter's Songs was released, partly because there was a great documentary about making this album on Dutch-TV.
    But after "All Is Dream" I hadn't followed them anymore, apart from buying the Instrumental-version of Deserter's Songs and a Grasshopper-solo-recording.

The new album is like a fairytale, very gentle and beautifully arranged. Although Dave Fridmann isn't involved this time, there are plenty of great sounds all over the record.
    I read comparisons with both The Moody Blues and Pet Shop Boys, so you can imagine Johathan and Grasshopper had some fun making this record.

Suspended
    Ah the warmth of the crackles and pops of vinyl.

I never heard anything by Mercury Rev until about 2 weeks ago; I don't believe they were ever well knowm in this country. Cna't tell you what track was played, but I don't recall either loving it or disliking it.

I've tried like hell to warm up MR as I'm a big Flaming Lips fan. Deserters Songs didn't grab me. Perhaps because I was expecting something more like the Lips, but I'll definitely give it another whirl this afternoon with a more open mind.

I haven't heard anything they've in probably 18 years. I loved Yerself Is Steam and Boces. Thought they were great psych records, and definitely a bright spot in the otherwise very boring early 90's. The third album was not bad, but maybe a notch or two under the first two. Then after that, I don't know what happened, I guess all the people responsible for the psych left the band, and suddenly they're doing this ridiculous Americana thing. Big turn off. Haven't heard anything else after that.

I wouldn't say they are "Americana" at all, their more recent are still a little psych, although in a far more lush orchestrated dreamy pop way than those earlier albums that you loved.

Quote Originally Posted by Sunlight Caller View Post
    I wouldn't say they are "Americana" at all, their more recent are still a little psych, although in a far more lush orchestrated dreamy pop way than those earlier albums that you loved.
    Well, I'm talking about the one record, Deserter's Sons I think it was called. I don't know what anything they've done since then.

I just gave Deserter's Songs a fresh spin and was more receptive to their lush string heavy pop. So, I guess I'll have to give The Light In You a shot.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    Well, I'm talking about the one record, Deserter's Sons I think it was called. I don't know what anything they've done since then.
    Many think that one is their high water mark, I still wouldn't call it Americana, but understand what you mean. They have refined and mellowed their sound since then, it's quite polished, ethereal and as I said before dreamy. I prefer Deserters Songs, but do enjoy most everything they have done, but do agree the earlier music is more interesting.

Although I don't think this was the one I was talking about, here's another Dutch documentary filmed during Desterer's Songs-days: