Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New Joanna Newsom album "Divers" streaming for the next couple of days

^ I wish I could get into her stuff, because in many ways it's great. But her voice makes me want to commit acts of violence such as sticking knitting needles into my ears.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mascodagama View Post
    ^ I wish I could get into her stuff, because in many ways it's great. But her voice makes me want to commit acts of violence such as sticking knitting needles into my ears.
    Me too, but don't worry. I have enough self control so I can resist the impulse of sticking knitting needles into your ears.

^ I'm relieved! There's only room in my ears for a certain number of knitting needles.

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by Mascodagama View Post
    Neil Young wrote a song that's relevant here.

^ Ys like a settin' sun

That clip IS very good. However, by the end her voice was starting to grate on me, so I'm thinking I might be of the same opinion of a few others here. Still, she is obviously extremely talented.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bob_32_116 View Post
    Neil Young wrote a song that's relevant here.
    The Knitting Needles and the Damage Done to Mascodagama's Ears?

Haven't posted on PE for a couple of years ... looking everywhere for the "LIKE" button ?!?

Quote Originally Posted by Edwin333 View Post
    Haven't posted on PE for a couple of years ... looking everywhere for the "LIKE" button ?!?

It's probably on the PE Facebook page.

Quote Originally Posted by schlep View Post
    I want to experience the whole thing as an album, with artwork, lyrics if included.
    The artwork is REALLY something. A very generous booklet with full lyrics and a different photo (along the lines of the cover) for each song.

Not liking a singer's voice is a totally valid reason for not digging their stuff; but also, a not very interesting one.
    Everything is easy, yeah?!

She's quite attractive, yet with of all people, Andy Samberg somehow, lol

Her mousey-voice kills her music for me.

I'd recommend Timbre instead.

Quote Originally Posted by schlep View Post
    Not liking a singer's voice is a totally valid reason for not digging their stuff; but also, a not very interesting one.
    I absolutely agree on both accounts. However, there's a slight difference between the seasoned listeners who actually come to terms with just why they react to someone's given voice, and on the other hand those who simply react due to its "strangeness" and are generally unwilling to take in whatever exemption from accustomed rule. Some of the comments about Newsom's voice in here reflect perfectly what I've heard "outsiders" express on Jon Anderson's voice, for instance; to many a listener, vocalists like him - or Geddy Lee, for example - sound utterly ridiculous.

I suppose the tract of Tim Buckley, Beefheart, Roger Chapman, Demetrio Stratos, Dagmar Krause, Alice Coltrane or Diamanda Galas isn't exactly for everyone.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

I think she's great. As a fan of strange/annoying voices generally (Waits, Wyatt, Beerfart, Biafra, Tim Smith, Danielson...), hers doesn't bother me. It's actually been considerably toned down since the first album, something to do with damaging her vocal cords i think.

She sounds like a cat, not a mouse. Joanna Mewsom my friend calls her.

New album sounding good after one listen. Digging the more trippy/proggy elements

This is the best thing she's ever done imo:

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Is this her first since "Have One On Me?" Saw an ad and definitely meant to get this.

I love her as a lyricist.
    The Prog Corner

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Is this her first since "Have One On Me?" Saw an ad and definitely meant to get this.
    Yep.

The new album is very, very, very well orchestrated and arranged, and sung in a way that is much more approachable than it was in the past.
    I think that Divers could be her masterpiece, since the songs are as good as they were on Ys, but less difficult to get in touch with and with a much-less-tiring vocal style. Nobody posted a clip from that here yet, so I will.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=keke7BGzJPI

This could be - in my opinion - liked by those who can't stand her as well.
    http://www.marcozanetti.it

Triste è l'uomo
    che ama le cose
    solo quando si allontanano.
    (Baolian, libro dei pensieri Baol, I, vv. 1240-1242)

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by MarKco View Post
    The new album is very, very, very well orchestrated and arranged, and sung in a way that is much more approachable than it was in the past.
    I think that Divers could be her masterpiece, since the songs are as good as they were on Ys, but less difficult to get in touch with and with a much-less-tiring vocal style. Nobody posted a clip from that here yet, so I will.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=keke7BGzJPI

This could be - in my opinion - liked by those who can't stand her as well.
    In the interests of open-mindedness, I gave this clip a listen. Sorry, it has not changed my opinions.

I can understand why people like her. I mean the music is really nice and interesting, I just wish it was someone else singing.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    I suppose the tract of Tim Buckley, Beefheart, Roger Chapman, Demetrio Stratos, Dagmar Krause, Alice Coltrane or Diamanda Galas isn't exactly for everyone.
    Alice Coltrane?

Quote Originally Posted by bob_32_116 View Post
    In the interests of open-mindedness, I gave this clip a listen. Sorry, it has not changed my opinions.

I can understand why people like her. I mean the music is really nice and interesting, I just wish it was someone else singing.
    It's a perfectly legitimate opinion (I can't listen to some groups for the same reason).
    Thank you for trying!

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
    http://www.marcozanetti.it

Triste è l'uomo
    che ama le cose
    solo quando si allontanano.
    (Baolian, libro dei pensieri Baol, I, vv. 1240-1242)

[QUOTE=Scrotum Scissor;472702]I absolutely agree on both accounts. However, there's a slight difference between the seasoned listeners who actually come to terms with just why they react to someone's given voice, and on the other hand those who simply react due to its "strangeness" and are generally unwilling to take in whatever exemption from accustomed rule. Some of the comments about Newsom's voice in here reflect perfectly what I've heard "outsiders" express on Jon Anderson's voice, for instance; to many a listener, vocalists like him - or Geddy Lee, for example - sound utterly ridiculous.

Would you consider yourself a " seasoned listener" ?

A few listens in now and I think it's very, very good. The first three tracks completely blew me away, especially the opener. The second half of the album is more subtle but is opening up with each listen. Lots of great details throughout, like the album opening and closing with the same orchestra note and birdsong, and the word "transcend" being formed from the last and first syllables on the record. Lots of nice attention to sequencing (first track ends in the key of the second, second track ends in the key of the third) and lots of sections almost running together like a suite.

Very cool instrumentation too! Especially some unusual mellotron sounds. And great lyrics...of which I currently understand fuck all

Quote Originally Posted by Paulrus View Post
    Purdy stuff. Gee, I wonder if she's ever heard any early Kate Bush.
    Hearing more Bjork in the youtube.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    I absolutely agree on both accounts. However, there's a slight difference between the seasoned listeners who actually come to terms with just why they react to someone's given voice, and on the other hand those who simply react due to its "strangeness" and are generally unwilling to take in whatever exemption from accustomed rule. Some of the comments about Newsom's voice in here reflect perfectly what I've heard "outsiders" express on Jon Anderson's voice, for instance; to many a listener, vocalists like him - or Geddy Lee, for example - sound utterly ridiculous.

Personally I find the human voice is something I have a more visceral reaction to than any other element in music. I mean by this that there are countless bands and artists I have come to love after initially reacting with dislike, incomprehension or indifference (from Ornette and Albert through to Art Zoyd and Biota) - but this rarely happens with singers.

It's not that I dislike 'freaky' singers in general - Stratos, Mimi Goese, Klaus Blasquiz and the guy out of Pensees Nocturnes are all good with me - but certain voices (or maybe certain vocal stylings) provoke an immediate adverse reaction that I rarely overcome. Other examples for me would be Harriet Wheeler (The Sundays) and David Surkamp (Pavlov's Dog).