Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Nad Sylvan - Courting the Widow

How do the Unifaun and Agents of Mercy albums compare to CTW?

I listened to a few samples of AoM songs, but got the impression the songs were more along the lines of other Roine Stolt projects, rather than the classic early 70's Genesis feel of CTW.

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Whitelight View Post

I listened to a few samples of AoM songs, but got the impression the songs were more along the lines of other Roine Stolt projects, rather than the classic early 70's Genesis feel of CTW.
    The Unifaun album is very 70s Genesis-like in places (including an "Entangled" second-half ripoff), more so than Agents Of Mercy which I agree is more Flower Kings oriented. I'd recommend it if you like CTW!
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Quote Originally Posted by Whitelight View Post

Thanks.
    Unifaun is definitely more like CTW than Agents of Mercy, but Nad Sylvan's influence is still detectable. Their second album, Dramarama, had some tracks that were based on material that didn't make it onto the Unifaun album actually.

Unifaun's album comes highly recommended by me as well, especially if you like CTW.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    When he comes out on stage, do his fans yell "Go Nad!"?

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    Unifaun is definitely more like CTW than Agents of Mercy, but Nad Sylvan's influence is still detectable. Their second album, Dramarama, had some tracks that were based on material that didn't make it onto the Unifaun album actually.

Unifaun's album comes highly recommended by me as well, especially if you like CTW.

Thanks aith01 and Progaton. I think Unifaun will be my next purchase.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    When he comes out on stage, do his fans yell "Go Nad!"?

Received this album last night in the mail, and just finished listening. Wow, what a great album! A whole lot of love obviously went into this. Beautifully done, and immediately in my top 3 favorites of the year I think.

West of Worcester (Western Massachusetts)
    Picked it up at the Hackett show in Albany last night. When I told the lovely woman at the merch table I needed Nad's new album, she told me how happy that would make Nad. Looking forward to spinning it.

I saw you at the show last night Rick, you had a great seat!

I'm really digging the new Nad album.

Jon Neudorf
    It's a lovely little album. Very impressed!

Cheers,
    Jon

sourdough advocate
    Quote Originally Posted by rickawakeman View Post
    Picked it up at the Hackett show in Albany last night. When I told the lovely woman at the merch table I needed Nad's new album, she told me how happy that would make Nad. Looking forward to spinning it.
    You must have been the guy in front of me on line! I heard her say that! I bought CTW and Unifaun. I gave Unifaun a proper listen and it's wonderful. I put CTW on later while I was cleaning the house and the parts I heard were very enjoyable. I have some grading to do tonight and will spin it then. BTW, I thought Nad did a great job singing Icarus Ascending. Obviously, he sounds nothing like Richie Havens and didn't try to imitate him. It's one of my faves from Hackett and am glad he did it.
    When in doubt....

Quote Originally Posted by the winter tree View Post
    I saw you at the show last night Rick, you had a great seat!

I'm really digging the new Nad album.
    Hey Andrew! Would loved to have said hello! Great show and it was my wife's first time at the Egg. Really like those first three rows (orchestra pit), plenty of leg room and a break in the long rows!

Quote Originally Posted by bill g View Post
    Received this album last night in the mail, and just finished listening. Wow, what a great album! A whole lot of love obviously went into this. Beautifully done, and immediately in my top 3 favorites of the year I think.
    I'm with you on this one.

There's quite a lot of subtlety and sophistication in the compositions/arrangements.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnkil View Post
    You must have been the guy in front of me on line! I heard her say that!
    Oh, I bet Nad had her say that to all the guys

First listen last night... beautiful album. Stellar players. Will be in heavy rotation. Will be seeing the show again in Montreal on 4/8/16 at the beautiful Place Des Arts, where we saw the Genesis Revisited show a few years back (then in Lynn MA the following year).

I can't believe I went to ProgArchives to post a nice review of Nad's album, and they don't even have it listed. This is a pretty major release, been out for a month and yet PA doesn't even have Nad Sylvan listed under S (or N, for that matter). Oh well...

I can't believe I went to ProgArchives to post a nice review of Nad's album, and they don't even have it listed. This is a pretty major release, been out for a month and yet PA doesn't even have Nad Sylvan listed under S (or N, for that matter). Oh well...
    Yeah I know how out of touch they are. But did you submit your review? I looked at the last 50 reviews and didn't see it. You should submit it to help open their eyes on PA. I gave up on them years ago now, as I got fed up with them thinking that everything is prog. I only go there now to read reviews. But Led Zeppelin prog? Give me a break!
    Day dawns dark...it now numbers infinity.

Quote Originally Posted by AncientChord View Post
    Yeah I know how out of touch they are. But did you submit your review? I looked at the last 50 reviews and didn't see it. You should submit it to help open their eyes on PA. I gave up on them years ago now, as I got fed up with them thinking that everything is prog. I only go there now to read reviews. But Led Zeppelin prog? Give me a break!
    Well, I've only done a few reviews over the years, so actually didn't know I could review something they didn't have, as I've always gone to to the artists page to do a review. In this case, there was no page to go to. I'll check out other options then for submitting reviews.

Well, I've only done a few reviews over the years, so actually didn't know I could review something they didn't have, as I've always gone to to the artists page to do a review. In this case, there was no page to go to. I'll check out other options then for submitting reviews.
    Oh, I didn't think of that. I did several reviews for them, but the artist already had a page. Not having Nad's new album acknowledged on PA is ridiculous. IMO it's one of the best prog releases of 2015, certainly in the top 5. But they sure seem to like Buckethead! Knowing those knuckleheads they probably think that post Hackett Gabriel Genesis was prog!
    Day dawns dark...it now numbers infinity.

Quote Originally Posted by AncientChord View Post
    IMO it's one of the best prog releases of 2015, certainly in the top 5.
    Agreed. This will definitely be in my Best Of 2015 list in a month's time or so. PA has been late to the party before, so expect that it will show up eventually... but I agree, it should already be there. A lot of people will like this release.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Spent some quality time with the album this weekend. It is a beautiful work.

got my signed copy (thanks Nad!) and have been listening to this in the car for the last two weeks. Wish I had thought to ask for Skrut to also sign it! Wonderful album. The title track is probably my favorite right now and one that I have been listening to on repeat without ever getting tired of it.
    The Genesis influence is there but I'm also getting some Jethro Tull (Songs from the Wood, Heavy Horses era) and Kansas vibes during certain sections.

Just got this over the weekend from Amazon. I've been playing the hell out of track 4 (the long epic piece).
    The instrumental break that starts at 15:00 and goes to 19:45 reminds me of those old Genesis live bits where
    they would stretch out and groove trading off lead lines between keyboards and guitars. . . very exciting stuff.
    And that's just one track. Need to spend time absorbing more of the other tracks. 74 minutes!

Nad just released a new video from "Courting the Widow" Pretty cool!
    https://youtu.be/YkR15j0N7eU

[But Led Zeppelin prog? Give me a break!]

Actually, they are only listed as "prog related" over there. However, LZ did have many prog or proggy moments so to just shrug them off as not being worthy of having any prog cred is just plain wrong imo.

As for progarchives, I'm only a lurker on there now. I agree that they stretch their boundaries a bit too far. Jazz and fusion for example should have their own archives as should post rock/math rock and electronic. Oh well.

I noticed that someone did suggest the Nad Sylvan album on there but they never got off their lazy arses to include him. In some ways PA reminds me of the third reich. They have this little inner circle that you can't penetrate. What they say goes and if you disagree you are a trouble maker.

Well, thanks to JKL2000, I just read through all this thread. Great to know there is good support here for the album---I was worried there hadn't been a post about it? Good to see I was wrong!

I don't have much to add to all the positive comments, except to say it's become a favourite album for me and I'm looking forward to hearing what Nad does next.