Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: Yes - Our Song

I am also one of those odd people who like “Big Generator” better than “90125”. I dig both albums, but have always thought “Generator” was underrated.

Quote Originally Posted by yamishogun View Post
    With so many good songs on 90125, it wasn't realistic to expect a follow up as good. Does anyone know (paging Henry) how much influence Jon Anderson had on BG? As big of a fan as I am of JA, I wish Cinema made another album with Trevor Horn and asked Anderson for his input only toward the end. Chris Squire: "Hey Jon, it will be just like last time. We don't want you to hear what we've been working on since it will ruin the surprise for when you touch it up and maybe add a song of your own!"
    That's more or less what happened on Big Generator: Anderson was sidelined and the initial development work was the Cinema core.

Henry
    Where Are They Now? Yes news: http://www.bondegezou.co.uk/wh_now.htm
    Blogdegezou, the accompanying blog: http://bondegezou.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by bondegezou View Post
    That's more or less what happened on Big Generator: Anderson was sidelined and the initial development work was the Cinema core.

Henry
    Unfortunately also Trevor Horn was sidelined. Or am I wrong?
    My progressive music site: https://pienemmatpurot.com/ Reviews in English: https://pienemmatpurot.com/in-english/

Quote Originally Posted by Kcrimso View Post
    Unfortunately also Trevor Horn was sidelined. Or am I wrong?
    Yes. Sidelined or withdrew himself.

Henry
    Where Are They Now? Yes news: http://www.bondegezou.co.uk/wh_now.htm
    Blogdegezou, the accompanying blog: http://bondegezou.blogspot.com/

Yup we liked Big Generator and 90125 too... in fact only playing 90125 live last night ...I remember I played it to death as a youngster.
    Was discussing this with Jon Poole our bass player who also has a penchant for things 90125 ... so we wondered if there was a little bit of that in us.
    I remember when I was working with Jon Anderson a few years back he asked had I got anything 'Yessy'. I sent him some rough draughts of early
    Lifesigns material and he said he'd really like to work with it. We discussed it further but I was keen for it to be a band project and not a Yes side
    project so to speak. Jon was courteous and thought that probably was the better solution.....
    So I'd quite like to know ...and sorry to slightly hijack this thread but it seems opportune... what do Yes fans think of the final outcome?

I have placed a 90 second clip below of us live ...and would love to know your thoughts ...

I think, and Henry can correct me if I'm wrong, that Rabin said in an interview that Kaye was very involved in the writing of Big Generator.

Bill
    She'll be standing on the bar soon
    With a fish head and a harpoon
    and a fake beard plastered on her brow.

Quote Originally Posted by bondegezou View Post
    Yes. Sidelined or withdrew himself.

Henry
    I recall an interview where he said he'd simply had enough of dealing with the arguments, and hinted at this in a more roundabout way on the Classic Artists documentary. In addition, he was very well established/respected as a producer by then and simply didn't need the hassle.

I think both Big Generator and Talk show just what Trevor Horn brought to 90125. Both are flabby and unfocussed in comparison IMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by Adm.Kirk View Post
    I think, and Henry can correct me if I'm wrong, that Rabin said in an interview that Kaye was very involved in the writing of Big Generator.

Bill
    Based on the writing credits and running times on the albums, plus some guesswork based on the ordering of names in those credits, Kaye seems to have written about 23 percent of Big Generator, up from only 3 percent of 90125. Squire had less of a role, having written about 22 percent of 90125 vs. only about 11 percent of BG. Rabin wrote about 35 percent of both albums, and White wrote about 8 percent of both. Anderson got credit for 28 percent of 90125 and 23 percent of BG. The remaining 4 percent of 90125 was credited to Horn, who of course wasn't involved with BG.

<Henry hat off>

Quote Originally Posted by dnieper View Post
    Based on the writing credits and running times on the albums, plus some guesswork based on the ordering of names in those credits, Kaye seems to have written about 23 percent of Big Generator, up from only 3 percent of 90125. Squire had less of a role, having written about 22 percent of 90125 vs. only about 11 percent of BG. Rabin wrote about 35 percent of both albums, and White wrote about 8 percent of both. Anderson got credit for 28 percent of 90125 and 23 percent of BG. The remaining 4 percent of 90125 was credited to Horn, who of course wasn't involved with BG.

<Henry hat off>
    I just looked at the credits for Big Generator and wasn't surprised that only Anderson was credited for "Holy lamb" and only Rabin for "Love Will Find a Way (If You Want It To)"
    But Anderson isn't at the top two credit slots for any other song. Squire is also toward the end of the credits except for "I'm running" where he is second to Rabin.

I just looked at the credits for Big Generator and wasn't surprised that only Anderson was credited for "Holy lamb" and only Rabin for "Love Will Find a Way (If You Want It To)"
    But Anderson isn't at the top two credit slots for any other song. Squire is also toward the end of the credits except for "I'm running" where he is second to Rabin.
    AFAIK that's mainly because he came up with that bass riff. The rest is Rabin I think.

Squire is also toward the end of the credits except for "I'm running" where he is second to Rabin.
    I've heard snippets of I'm Running on boots before.. couldn't tell you which era that was but the riff had been around for some time..

There is audio from the Drama era I believe, that has Howe playing an early version of "I'm Running".

Bill
    She'll be standing on the bar soon
    With a fish head and a harpoon
    and a fake beard plastered on her brow.

Quote Originally Posted by soblivious View Post
    Yup we liked Big Generator and 90125 too... in fact only playing 90125 live last night ...I remember I played it to death as a youngster.
    Was discussing this with Jon Poole our bass player who also has a penchant for things 90125 ... so we wondered if there was a little bit of that in us.
    I remember when I was working with Jon Anderson a few years back he asked had I got anything 'Yessy'. I sent him some rough draughts of early
    Lifesigns material and he said he'd really like to work with it. We discussed it further but I was keen for it to be a band project and not a Yes side
    project so to speak. Jon was courteous and thought that probably was the better solution.....
    So I'd quite like to know ...and sorry to slightly hijack this thread but it seems opportune... what do Yes fans think of the final outcome?

I have placed a 90 second clip below of us live ...and would love to know your thoughts ...
    the jon poole of early quartet-era CARDiACS fame? john young posting himself, i presume?

i really like that snippet, powerful stuff. will definitely investigate. however, in case you are asking whether this is hinting towards a YESwest influx, i don't think so and i don't think it needs to. the lead synth stuff obviously lends itself more to wakeman-era YES and/or the neo prog of the next decade. i always enjoyed kaye's economic playing in the cinema-context and his sparse yet defined approach constitute more of the YESwest style than people often admit – the legend that most of kaye’s work had been overdubbed with rabin’s own keyboard playing notwithstanding.

hope that makes sense. cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by Adm.Kirk View Post
    There is audio from the Drama era I believe, that has Howe playing an early version of "I'm Running".

Bill

It's basically a different animal though. Only part of the bass line is similar. I can see how it was developed out of this rudimentary version but really it doesn't sound much like the version we all know.

yup twas me...glad you approve :-)

That is cool to see the four of them in that shot: Howe, White, Squire and Horn's glasses.