Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Yes - Our Song

Make it Easy is even worse in that respect. Very exciting proggy intro to a really mediocre tune...
    Perspective Vortex - my new solo project available now at http://perspectivevortex.bandcamp.com
    Mahtrak Progressive Jazz Rock - www.mahtrak.com

For me, the chorus sinks this one. It's weak as a day old kitten.

I always liked Our Song. It does have some of the old YES vibe. Lots of good stuff on this record though, even the hit single! Leave It ranks pretty low for me...

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    ...but, like a kitten, can grow on you if you keep attending to it.

Aw. I love a day old kitten. Squee.

Suspended
    ^^ "City of Love", on the other hand, is a real dog.

I can recall listening to Anderson introduce the band members during a show from the TALK tour.............1994.
    When it came time to introduce Rabin, Anderson said that............"he gave us our second Roundabout".

It was made clear at that point that Anderson did indeed enjoy the attention and the royalties of OOALH.
    And, although I have never disliked Rabin, I certainly prefer the song-writing of the more traditional members of YES.

I like City Of Love. It's heavy. Too bad Ozzy couldn't sing it.

Quote Originally Posted by Gerhard View Post
    Don't know who produced this but this isn't the only time Camron has sampled some prog. He used part of Wakeman's "Lancelot and the Black Knight" on some other song.

Most obscure prog rap sample I can think of is "Genesis" by Prodigy, which seems to produce the Seconds Out version of Firth of Fifth

I was never big on Leave It, even though I did like the intro. It could Happen-same thing. My favs are: Changes, Hold On, My song, and Hearts.

I heard OOALH in Trader Joes yesterday...
    "Always ready with the ray of sunshine"

Quote Originally Posted by bob_32_116 View Post
    ^^ "City of Love", on the other hand, is a real dog.
    City Of Love was one of those songs that sounded much better onstage, especially that wicked version that's on 9012Live, where Rabin does that crazy whammy bar noise guitar solo at the end.

The thing about 90125 that still bugs me is how processed most of the album sounds, if you know what I mean. I've said this a few times before, but a lot of the songs, like Owner Of A Lonely Heart, City Of Love, Leave It, etc sound like they were assembled inside a computer, rather than tracked by a band playing live in the studio. You sometimes hear wisecracks about how "The band weren't even in the studio at the same time when the record was being made" (or even "The band weren't even all on the same continent when this album was made"), and I think this record is a perfect example of why anyone would care about such things. It just sounds so "pieced together". I even remember Rabin complaining when he was interviewed in Guitar Player about how he wanted more of the "band" sound that you hear on Cinema (which is weird because Big Generator, the record he supposedly produced, also has that "pieced together inside the computer" vibe).

That's why I think the live versions of those songs frequently sound better, because they actually sound like all five of them (or six, if you count the auxiliary keyboardist under the stage) are in the same room, playing together, because you know that's exactly what they're doing.

Quote Originally Posted by trurl View Post
    I like City Of Love. It's heavy. Too bad Ozzy couldn't sing it.
    Actually, I think someone like Dio or Halford would have done a better job with a song like City Of Love than Ozzy (and look, I didn't even make a snarky remark involving Sharon, too!).

Quote Originally Posted by bigjohnwayne View Post
    Don't know who produced this but this isn't the only time Camron has sampled some prog. He used part of Wakeman's "Lancelot and the Black Knight" on some other song.

Most obscure prog rap sample I can think of is "Genesis" by Prodigy, which seems to produce the Seconds Out version of Firth of Fifth
    I don't know under what circumstances these things happen, but apparently there's a lot of prog samples in rap these days, and some of them are off pretty obscure records. I remember Steve Feigenbaum saying that there was some rapper who sampled a track off Two Rainbows Daily by Hugh Hopper and Alan Gowen. From what I gather, Hugh's share of the royalties basically paid his hospital bills the last couple years of his life. And I recall there's another hip-hop thing with a FM sample in it.

Quote Originally Posted by No Pride View Post
    It's a great tune from a great album!

Funny you should say that, it's the only tune I don't like on the album, despite the proggy intro. And speaking of that, they did the same thing with "Miracle of Life" on the Union album. The first two minutes are fantastic, but after that, it's a fairly mediocre tune.
    Actually, if we're going to talk about the "great intro/mediocre song" thing, I think Behind The Lines by Genesis takes the cake there. I think Changes, Miracle Of Life and Make It Easy are all far superior songs to Behind The Lines, which just sounds to me like one of Phil's lame pop ballads, which Banks and Rutherford beefed up with a couple interesting instrumental bits.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    City Of Love was one of those songs that sounded much better onstage, especially that wicked version that's on 9012Live, where Rabin does that crazy whammy bar noise guitar solo at the end.

The thing about 90125 that still bugs me is how processed most of the album sounds, if you know what I mean. I've said this a few times before, but a lot of the songs, like Owner Of A Lonely Heart, City Of Love, Leave It, etc sound like they were assembled inside a computer, rather than tracked by a band playing live in the studio. You sometimes hear wisecracks about how "The band weren't even in the studio at the same time when the record was being made" (or even "The band weren't even all on the same continent when this album was made"), and I think this record is a perfect example of why anyone would care about such things. It just sounds so "pieced together". I even remember Rabin complaining when he was interviewed in Guitar Player about how he wanted more of the "band" sound that you hear on Cinema (which is weird because Big Generator, the record he supposedly produced, also has that "pieced together inside the computer" vibe).

That's why I think the live versions of those songs frequently sound better, because they actually sound like all five of them (or six, if you count the auxiliary keyboardist under the stage) are in the same room, playing together, because you know that's exactly what they're doing.

Though, just to play devil's advocate for a second, both Rabin and Horn have gone on record (in Chris Welch's Yes biography, for example) as saying that the vast majority of 90125 is the band playing live in the studio. They really were that tight, but I guess it's 80s mania for all-things digital, pioneered by the likes of Horn, that give it that processed sheen.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    Actually, I think someone like Dio or Halford would have done a better job with a song like City Of Love
    The bit where Anderson sings "no, no regrets at all," he almost SOUNDS like Dio. The rest of the time he's doing that unconvincing "I'm the most badass pixie-voiced singer you'll ever hear" thing (see also "Rock Gives Courage").

"Hearts" actually does sound like a JA piece, come to think of it. I guess I never thought of it that way because Rabin sings the first verse. But even then Rabin's singing in Anderson-ese ("Set your heart, sail down the river"). You know what's funny about "Hearts".. Rabin actually tried to create a soulful melody outside the tuned percussion melody line. When JA sang it for "Change We Must," he just duplicated the tuned percussion melody line (hear for yourself below). I really have to give Rabin a lot of credit for going outside the box when he wanted to.

Last edited by ThomasKDye; 10-21-2015 at 11:01 PM.
    "Arf." -- Frank Zappa, "Beauty Knows No Pain" (live version)

you may recall how owner used to open with a pretty hip guitar intro, the interesting thing about that intro was that it was actually amputated from the early version of our song. really would have been a much better intro than that fade in.

But . . . . . . . . . . but . . . . . . . . it's good clear syncopation!
    Hired on to work for Mr. Bill Cox, a-fixin' lawn mowers and what-not, since 1964.

"Arguing with an idiot is like playing chess with a pigeon. It'll just knock over all the pieces, shit on the board, and strut about like it's won anyway." Anonymous

“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” George Carlin

Quote Originally Posted by rojon View Post
    you may recall how owner used to open with a pretty hip guitar intro, the interesting thing about that intro was that it was actually amputated from the early version of our song. really would have been a much better intro than that fade in.
    But what about the intro of Owner of a Lonely Heart? I think it is great except the production seems to get better 10 seconds into the song. It isn't the cacophony, which is great, but the actual sound quality. Am I wrong here?

I played a compilation of all the YesWest stuff while driving last week, I have to say that I like it even less than I did before.

Quote Originally Posted by yamishogun View Post
    But what about the intro of Owner of a Lonely Heart? I think it is great except the production seems to get better 10 seconds into the song. It isn't the cacophony, which is great, but the actual sound quality. Am I wrong here?
    It's deliberate! The difference between that AM sounding, reverb-swamped intro and the clean sound of the rest of the song was intentional.

I have to say I'm not fond of some of the keyboard sounds on 'Our Song' (a bit dated IMHO) but I never had any problem with the track itself. There's only one weak link on here and that's 'City Of Love' IMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by YESHEAD777 View Post
    This and "Hearts" always sounded like Anderson/Yes tunes to me, and I always digged them alot. "Changes" is still my fav from the album though, but this song did help to remind me this is still YES.
    There's all sorts of inventive touches on almost every song which, to me, link it to the old Yes. I remember being surprised by those pretty cliched 'arena rock' guitar licks at the beginning of 'Hold On' (a long, long way from Steve Howe) but the song has that terrific vocal bridge.

Our Song is a very, very minor ditty in Yes' canon, but still quite an enjoyable tune. Some weeks ago I pulled out 90125 after ages and really enjoyed the experience. I could barely remember what City of Love and Hearts sounded like, still don't to be honest, but Leave It and It Could Happen are much better than I remembered. Great tunes, great production values, great tracks IMO.

As for the prog intro segued by mediocre tunes pattern (e.g., Changes, The Miracle of Life, and Make it Easy), I would add the Endless Dream suite that appears in Talk. Very nice, evolved intro followed by absolutely nothing. IMO, again.

Quote Originally Posted by Adinfinitum View Post
    Before 90125 was released, Yes released OOALH as a 45, the B side was Our Song. I remember going WTF when first listening to Owner and then flipped the 45 over to listen to Our Song and was much relieved. I thought Our Song held out hope that the album wouldn't be crap.
    My feelings exactly at the time. I liked the B-Side sooooo much better than Side A. It got way more plays on the old turntable.
    SymfoZone progressive rock radio show: www.symfozone.com