Thread: Altaïs / Apsara - (Shub Niggurath fans take notice)

Altaïs / Apsara - (Shub Niggurath fans take notice)

So far for me this years best archive release
    Get your Zeuhl its fixed here :

This double CD documents the pre-Shub Niggurath era of the bands who joined forces to create Shub Niggurath.

In the early 80s two bands (Apsara & Gorgonus), both from the southern suburbs of Paris, met & quickly became friends as they shared the same concern : their common Magma influence.

After some time, the idea of merging the two combos into a big band emerged. Some of Apsara musicians rejected the idea & decided to continue on their own while Franck Fromy, Ann Stewart & Veronique Verdier from Apsara joined Gorgonus, which was then renamed Shub Niggurath.

On the other side of the band divide, the remaining members of Apsara renamed the band Altaïs (with members of Eider Stellaire soon joining & supporting) and made a excellent 12" single shortly before disbanding.

CD 1 contains the only studio track ever recorded by Apsara (clocking in at over 11 minutes) + 4 live tracks recorded in 1983 (43 minutes). The sound quality of the live tracks is mediocre but we thought that their historical importance justifies their official publishing.

CD 2 is the first complete reissue of the Altaïs maxi single (3 tracks for a total of 14 minutes).

All together, the complete set includes 68 minutes of music, of which 25' are professional, studio recordings and 43' are of decent bootleg quality. Each CD comes in an individual cardboard jacket, the Altaïs one being a repro of the original vinyl. Also included is a 12 page booklet with liner notes by Aymeric Leroy which tell the history of the bands (in French and English) and the whole thing is wrapped into a double sided plastic bag. Strictly limited edition of 500 copies."

Not really a fan of the Altaïs thing.... it's really oppressive, IMHO (but hey, it's pre-Niggurath, right )

I tend to prefer the live archive Apsara, but it's not essential Zeuhl to me... Very glad to have heard this, though I could be persuaded to part with my copy
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    I like it a lot, very pre Shub, really glad Alain was able to release these.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Gettin' it.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

I really, really wish there was a full-length Altaïs album. 14 min is simply not enough!

Revisited this gem today
    One of the very best archive releases
    Every self respecting Zeuhl fan needs this

Have it, like it. So I can still respect myself

Quote Originally Posted by Udi Koomran View Post
    Every self respecting Zeuhl fan needs this
    Damn you pusherman!

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    Damn you pusherman!
    This is a really good one