Thread: Pugwash's Health

Pugwash's Health

From teamprogrock....

"Gentle Giant drummer John ‘Pugwash’ Weathers has been diagnosed with cancer, former bandmate Kerry Minnear has confirmed."

http://prog.teamrock.com/news/2015-1...eathers-cancer
    "Always ready with the ray of sunshine"

Pendulumswingingdoomsday Rune Blackwings's Avatar
    sorry
    "Alienated-so alien I go!"

Well that's epic suck. What has he been doing? Ah, article says no music since '06...

so sad that such a vibrant & musical character would end up in such poor health in this way.

I always loved his playing in that band. I send my sincere best wishes for an improvement in his health.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    I always loved his playing in that band. I send my sincere best wishes for an improvement in his health.
    My sentiments exactly.

so sad that such a vibrant & musical character would end up in such poor health in this way.

Seriously. It's just hard to picture they guy so full of energy on those DVDs laid up like this. It's got to be hard for him and all around him, so I also wish the best for any possible improvements. I hope he knows how much the music he helped make means to the people who enjoy it. They may not be great in number, but it's a passionate and appreciative fanbase.

Bill

John has a tumor on his vocal chords. He has been receiving treatment and the prognosis is good. However, we know for a few weeks.
    Dave Sr.

I prefer Nature to Human Nature

Quote Originally Posted by adap2it View Post
    John has a tumor on his vocal chords. He has been receiving treatment and the prognosis is good. However, we know for a few weeks.
    I mean we WONT know for a few weeks....
    Dave Sr.

Glad to hear about the positive prognosis. Best wishes for a full recovery.

As the article mentions, John has had health problems in the past. For those who may be unaware, he documented a 2003 hospital stay in a very entertaining article called "Two Weeks In Pain" which can be found here: http://www.gorgg.org/UnderKnife1.htm
    "One should never magnify the harsh light of reality with the mirror of prose onto the delicate wings of fantasy's butterfly"
    Thumpermonkey - How I Wrote The French Lieutenant's Woman

"I'm content to listen to what I like and keep my useless negative opinions about what I don't like to myself -- because no one is interested in hearing those anyway, and it contributes absolutely nothing to the conversation."
    aith01

Fabulous, economically effective ace drummer. Perfect for the band. Sorry to hear about his illness; hoping he'll pull through alright.

Weathers was solid in the Man band as well, and fit just right with those steady patterns laid out by Terry Williams in the past - yet still adding significantly to them.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Get well soon Mr. Weathers!

Good news that his prognosis is positive.

Also good news, is that, he will not have to go bankrupt for his medical care.
    And if there were a god, I think it very unlikely that he would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence - Russell

This thread made me think about GG and John and it made me want to listen to them, so I pulled out Glass House and the King Biscuit Flower Hour 1975 show for the first time in some time.
    Boy, they were good. Boy, John played great with them.

Wishing you all the best, Pugwash!
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

Great to hear it at least looks good, Dave!
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

This thread made me think about GG and John and it made me want to listen to them, so I pulled out Glass House and the King Biscuit Flower Hour 1975 show for the first time in some time.
    Two of the best! I like King Biscuit even more than Playing The Fool.

Quote Originally Posted by trurl View Post
    Two of the best! I like King Biscuit even more than Playing The Fool.
    It is a better recording by far, IMO.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

It is a better recording by far, IMO.
    No question about that! I think it's the best GG recording overall, including the studio versions...GG were at their best at that period, so it's a no brainer to me.
    Dave Sr.

Best wishes for a full and speedy recovery. His importance to GG is immeasurable.

Boy, they were good. Boy, John played great with them.

Wishing you all the best, Pugwash!
    What he said. Man, they were my favourite band for the longest time. Great guys, brilliant music. Big influence.

I was so glad the Three Friends things was happening. Very nicely done. Respective, original and tasty with wonderful performances.
    Is that still going on or is it on haitus now for obvious reasons?
    And the code is a play, a play is a song, a song is a film, a film is a dance...

I still hold Pugwash up as about the perfect example of blending groove and technicality. Him and Gary Green both, actually. GG as a whole was a band of proggy technical players that understood the rhythm and blues roots of rock, but John and Gary more-so imho.

Quote Originally Posted by Polypet View Post
    What he said. Man, they were my favourite band for the longest time. Great guys, brilliant music. Big influence.

I was so glad the Three Friends things was happening. Very nicely done. Respective, original and tasty with wonderful performances.
    Is that still going on or is it on haitus now for obvious reasons?
    Yes, Three Friends is still a going concern. They are playing Cruise to the Edge and in Mexico City. And speaking of Three Friends....here are THE Three Friends, including Kerry Minnear, playing the namesake at our recent gathering in Montreal. Watch for Malcolm's reference to John Weathers at the end of my video.

enjoy! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JxMkAd00Rjc
    Dave Sr.

Thanks for that
    And the code is a play, a play is a song, a song is a film, a film is a dance...