Thread: Bruce Springsteen- The River

Bruce Springsteen- The River

I note The River is to be released as a seven disc set! Not that I'm not a fan, just never gave The Boss much attention. Is now a good time to start?

Suspended
    Bruce is very hit or miss for me. I have The Rising, and consider it a good album. The only other one I have considered getting is The River.

I doubt I'd be interested in a seven disc set though.

If you're interested in exploring his stuff, go no further than this:

http://live.brucespringsteen.net/liv...veland-OH.html

Seriously, if you don't like "Prove It All Night" from any gig in the 1978 tour then there is no point looking into him any further. This one from Cleveland is one of the best.

Does it matter that this waste of time is what makes a life for you?

Quote Originally Posted by Oreb View Post
    If you're interested in exploring his stuff, go no further than this:

http://live.brucespringsteen.net/liv...veland-OH.html

Seriously, if you don't like "Prove It All Night" from any gig in the 1978 tour then there is no point looking into him any further. This one from Cleveland is one of the best.
    Yup, this would be a great place to give it a shot. If this show doesn't work, then he's not for you.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by Rufus View Post
    I note The River is to be released as a seven disc set! Not that I'm not a fan, just never gave The Boss much attention. Is now a good time to start?
    I lived through Bruce via the radio like everybody did in the '70's / 80's but didn't really give him a shot till my wife got into him and we went and saw one of his 3 hour marathon concerts.. Gotta give the guy props.. he puts on one hell of a show.. My favorites are still his first 3-4 albums.. Asbury Park double thumbs up.. The River does have some great stuff on in..

My girlfriend is a huge fan, and we went to see him last year. I agree with happytheman - his concerts are very impressive, his band is tight, he works hard, and his fans are rabid and loyal. That said, most of his music just isn't for me. I really like his Tunnel of Love album and a lot of Lucky Town and Human Touch, but many of the songs he's most known for (Rosalita, for example) are just too wordy for me. And he's really not a great singer. But he's a fantastic entertainer, and a much better guitarist than I ever gave him credit for.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Suspended
    There are not that many rock singers around who have not one, but two, sculptures named after songs of theirs.

I bought Darkness On The Edge Of Town on the strength of many recommendations. It did nothing for me. Nuthin.'

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    The Wild The Innocent & The E St Shuffle is a desert island disc for me. The rest... I can take or leave.

My favorites from him are The River, the live radio broadcasts from 1978 and more recently his solo acoustic shows.

I've never been a fan, and I grew up in NJ. Bruce's music (that I've heard) just bores me.

Suspended
    The River contains what I consider to be one of his best songs: Point Blank. I've always thought that his slow songs are sometimes his best, though they tend to get overlooked in favour of the rockers.

It's my No. 2 album by him, after Born to Run. I'm not much into him after The River, but I think his 1973-1980 period was very strong, both with the studio albums and, of course, live.

Quote Originally Posted by 3LockBox View Post
    The Wild The Innocent & The E St Shuffle is a desert island disc for me. The rest... I can take or leave.
    IMO 'New York Serenade' is breath-catchingly beautiful. But I am a fanboy.

Does it matter that this waste of time is what makes a life for you?