Thread: Zombies' great new album: Still Got That Hunger!

Zombies' great new album: Still Got That Hunger!

Just picked up the Zombies new one and Colin Blunstone still sounds awesome as does the evergreen Rod Argent. Still Got That Hunger is blues rock album heavily tinged with R&B and jazz ala Steely Dan with flawless backing harmonies at times. No psych rock here but it's still an aural pleasure.
    Last edited by RapidRefresh; 10-19-2015 at 11:46 AM.

I agree and have been really enjoying it. They sound as good as ever.

It's available on Mojo's website for streaming (via Cherry Red themselves).
    Last edited by JJ88; 11-18-2015 at 04:56 PM.

^I bought mine (the CD) at local vinyl shop and it's available from amazon also.

I still think the current band sounds more like a modern Argent than a modern Zombies. Not a bad thing though.

I saw them live last night, and they blew everybody in that audience (incl me) completely away.

The vocal harmonies were spot on, and both Blunstone & Argent have lost little of their vocal range. Jim Rodford and Chris White were also playing & singing, so 3 out of 5 original Zombies plus Argent's bassist who are all almost my age can still DO IT!! They also had Darrin Sahanaja from Wondermints & Brian Wilson's band in the band.

Argent (the man), if anything, is leaning more to jazzier solos than he used to (fine with me).

New material is a surprise treat!
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Suspended
    I liked the few songs I had heard from the Zombies in the 60's. I liked the fact that they seemed hard to classify, a kind of mixture of Mersey Beat pop, jazz and bossa nova. However when Argent (the band) started they seemed to be moving into the power-pop thing and definitely away from baroque pop, Even though they may have been one of the first to champion that sound, which was later popularised by the likes of Foreigner, it's a sound that I tire of very quickly. The fact that KISS covered an Argent song says it all, really.

A fresh Zombies-like sound would have my interest. A Zombies that sounds more like Argent, not so much.

They played a lot of the new album in concert last Saturday. Perhaps more Argent than Zombies, but excellent, like both bands.
    "Always ready with the ray of sunshine"

They played a track off the new album on tonights Jools Holland show, it's repeated on Friday if you missed it!

I just listened to Still Got That Hunger a couple of days ago (picked up at one of their shows) - while this is not a continuation of Odessey & Oracle (and how could it be, seriously) it is a very solid album that gets better with each spin. The vocals are top notch and an added surprise is guitarist Tom Toomey, this guy can dish out a scorching solo when needed. Highly recommended.

IMO - the first Argent album (called "Argent") is very much like the Zombies, just slightly heavier. The vocals are very Zombies-like, as are the vocal harmonies and arrangements. Most of the songs were written by Rod Argent and Chris White, who wrote much of the best Zombies material. They did not move towards power pop until after this album. I think it deserves a lot more attention than it gets.