Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: FEATURED CD - Godspeed You Black Emperor : Lift Your Skinny Fists like Antennae To He

Quote Originally Posted by spacefreak View Post
    The attraction is that it is honest, full of passion, original in it's conception and uplifts by speaking to the soul.
    that was true between 95 & 05... It's now totally tired and worn-out.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    that was true between 95 & 05... It's now totally tired and worn-out.
    I agree... I have no interest in most of post rock stuff that came after 2003.
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    Don't be fooled by Bob's imperfect (says he )description of post rock

90% of post rock is definitely not "noisy"..
    I never said that it was.

I know... you didn't say that I said it was.... etc etc.
    I just wanted to clarify.

Quote Originally Posted by bob_32_116 View Post
    I never said that it was.

I know... you didn't say that I said it was.... etc etc.
    I just wanted to clarify.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

God Is An Astronaut is pretty good. I find it a little more interesting. They are still recording.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by markwoll View Post
    God Is An Astronaut is pretty good. I find it a little more interesting. They are still recording.
    Definitely my fave, though I need to check out some of these other bands sometime.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    Definitely my fave, though I need to check out some of these other bands sometime.
    Without detouring away from GYBE...those of you who like the rockier side of post rock might want to check out Caspian. Their latest 'Dust and Disquiet' just landed and is quite excellent IMHO:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tPE7ebffvBg (hard to describe, almost has a PG vibe to it)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Azwuqj7JnMI
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

Oooh...nice! Thanks, John!
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Yes,Nice , thanks. Now back to our regularly scheduled posts.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

I tried to see what the big deal was but I’m afraid these guys leave me cold. Mind you, it was the album with the infinity symbol in the title and not this one, but it just struck me as a really amateurish attempt at neo-classical music with rock instruments. It just sounded like an amorphous blob of sound. My thought, “what a waste of an orchestra.”

Don’t compare them to Sigur Ros. They’re extremely lively and beautiful with dreamy melodies that spin round your head, not at all like this unmemorable dreariness.
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

Quote Originally Posted by Progbear View Post

Don’t compare them to Sigur Ros. They’re extremely lively and beautiful with dreamy melodies that spin round your head, not at all like this unmemorable dreariness.
    Well, Sigur Ros is little more than GYBE! (musically speaking) with very inventive (at first) but ultimately extremely annoying vocals... Very over-rated IMHO

Quote Originally Posted by Proghound View Post
    As a musician myself my rule is any "music" and/or noise I can make in my garage is not something I will pay money for when I can do that myself.
    But this is hardly about whether or not you can "do it yourself"; countless erstwhile unmusical youngsters are able to learn guitar sweeps, seeing how this is a physical rather than a musical technique - yet you rarely hear accusations against its superfluous functions from folks who'd jump at the alleged pointlessness of dissonance. What you refer to as "noise" has been constantly employed within most kinds of music since the dawn of artistic modernism, and most definitely in academic contemporary composition. "Music defines as organised sound", said Edgard Varese - while saying absolutely nothing about any mandatory melodicism.

Being someone who started listening to post-rock and math-rock when they first appeared in the first half of the 90s (although I'm not really a fan of what's been created under that moniker for the past 6-7 years), and still a musician and an ardent fan, collector of and writer on "classic" progressive rock, I must say that I was spellbound at the sheer musicality of many post-/math-rock artists. Of course, I soon learned that there was a far more abundant influx of trained musicianship in post/math quarters than there ever were in 70s progressive rock - implying that I decided to stay with it and discern its eventual qualities.

Sometimes it's not about what you do or don't, but whether there's a basic understanding of the connotations.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

I understand it perfectly, and understand your points....don't necessarily disagree. But still stand by my thoughts. Whether they are accomplished musicians or not has no point here to this particular sample. Noisy, simplistic, and amateurish to my ears. sorry

Quote Originally Posted by Proghound View Post
    Whether they are accomplished musicians or not has no point here to this particular sample. Noisy, simplistic, and amateurish to my ears. sorry
    No one's feelings are hurt (I hope ), so no need for sorrying. I wouldn't assume your message to be that noise, simplicity and the amateurish are somewhat interconnected, though - or? To some, those three assets would probably fit perfectly to many a "big six prog" band when compared to other, perhaps more cerebral or aesthetically self-conscious musics. For instance, it'd be far fetched to aline Yes or Genesis with Art Zoyd or Univers Zero - seeing how two of them created through-composed charts whilst the other two were merely aspiring to such an impression. One man's gold may be the other's turd when it comes to art - that's what they say.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Are we done with posting the album covers for these featured discs, or did PE receive a 'cease and desist' from the band?
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

Suspended
    ^^ They have ceased; the question is whether or not they will desist.

Suspended
    This week's feature album: The Green Album. A very deep green.