Page 18 of 51 FirstFirst ... 814151617181920212228 ... LastLast

Thread: NBA Basketball Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Facelift View Post
    Having Durant diminishes the role of Green, who was the team's MVP last year.
    Hmm....

Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    Hmm....

Green is the team's best and most valuable player.

The overratedness that is Steph Curry was made available in the finals this year (and last year) for all to see. There is a mountain of distance between he and Lebron James.

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    There are three things I like about this:

a) I like Golden State
    b) at least he isn't going to the Lakers or Boston
    c) and most importantly, as a Sonics fan, [sourgrapes]this greatly diminishes the probability of Oklahoma City winning a championship[/sourgrapes]

Quote Originally Posted by 3LockBox View Post
    c) and most importantly, as a Sonics fan, [sourgrapes]this greatly diminishes the probability of Oklahoma City winning a championship[/sourgrapes]
    I still can't believe this happened. That it was allowed to happen.

Allowed?

deansum1
    Awesome! Check out Servicing Stop! The link is in my signature!

Quote Originally Posted by 3LockBox View Post
    Allowed?
    Sure, the whole thing was pre-ordained - the ownership group that bought the Seattle Sonics never intended to keep them there. They were from OKC and never had an intent to stay in Seattle.

David Stern could have flatly told them "no," especially since the move involved breaking a lease with Key Arena that didn't expire until 2010. It's not like they couldn't have continued to play in there.

Oh, I thought you were referring to Durant.

And yeah, I am well aware of what went down here. David Stern thought he was Vince McMahon. He was butt-hurt that the city came up with a program for new NFL and MLB stadiums but not the NBA. The fact that Key Arena had just undergone a multimillion dollar renovation a few years earlier didn't matter.

There's an excellent doc on YouTube that outlines what happened in detail but it's ancient history now. Seattle probably will never have an NBA franchise as long as david stern is still alive and has any influence, which I'm sure he does.

More free agent news:

Dwyane Wade to Chicago.

Pau Gasol to San Antonio.

Dwight Howard to Atlanta.

Luol Deng to LA Lakers.

Harrison Barnes to Dallas.

Rajon Rondo to Chicago.

Chandler Parsons to Memphis.

Al Jefferson to Indiana.

Al Horford to Boston.

Bismack Biyombo to Orlando.

Finally, Timofey Mozgov, who was so valuable to the Cavs that they couldn't risk playing him more than 3 minutes per game in the Finals, goes to the Lakers for $16M per season on a 4-year deal.

Guess I didn't read it right. I thought Wade signed a contract here. Chicago? I know that's his home town but Chicago isn't a road to another Ring.

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    Guess I didn't read it right. I thought Wade signed a contract here. Chicago? I know that's his home town but Chicago isn't a road to another Ring.
    He's already won rings. Now he can drown his misery in knowing he'll never win again with $47 million over 2 years. Not bad, considering he'll probably never play a full season again.
    "And your little sister's immaculate virginity wings away on the bony shoulders of a young horse named George who stole surreptitiously into her geography revision."

Occasional musical musings on https://darkelffile.blogspot.com/

Yeah he's got his rings and he's coasting. I get it. I was hoping he'd retire down here. I'm not happy about this.

He realized that he's only got a few more years to play and Miami isn't any closer to winning than Chicago is (probably farther). Chicago is where he's from, so he went there. Seems reasonable to me. There's only a few teams that realistically have a chance to win a championship and he's not a fit on any of them.

He might've just stayed in Miami. I feel like he gave us the finger.

He might've just stayed in Miami. I feel like he gave us the finger.
    Vic, he didn't give you the finger. He gave Riley the finger. Look into it, and if you still need an explanation, I'll post it.

Quote Originally Posted by Facelift View Post
    He makes them deeper, but I don't know how much he makes them better. Part of what made guarding GS so maddening was their unique style of play. Having Durant diminishes the role of Green, who was the team's MVP last year. Durant is an acquisition you make no matter what so I'm not faulting them for doing it, but fears by the rest of the league that they'll be substantially better than last year are premature, IMO. They may end up not being any better at all.
    I agree with most of this. Not sure he makes them deeper either. Their whole trip was Strength In Numbers, and they've shed something like 6 players. Only Durant is an upgrade. How does that affect team chemistry? Also, am I the only one who thinks that Durant has slipped a wee bit over the last 2 seasons? I didn't think he was the best player on his team, much less 2nd or 3rd best player in the League. He really struggled with the games on the line in that conference championship. On paper, he's a home run acquisition, but that has yet to play out. There's only one ball, unless ESPN gets power of attorney, and their bigs are not what they were.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    I agree with most of this. Not sure he makes them deeper either.
    He gives them the ability to mix and match fewer than the three stars with 2nd teamers and still have a good team on the floor, when the whole starting 5 isn't out there; that's all I meant by the depth comment.

I do think that they will be a better playoff team next year (championships are won by the starters, and if Kerr is any kind of a coach he should eventually be able to figure out how to make all of this work) but I do not expect a 70+ win regular season.

OK, that makes sense.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    I agree with most of this. Not sure he makes them deeper either.
    Yeah, they added Durant but lost Barnes, Bogut, Elezi, and Speights. That's a whole lot of frontcourt depth gone. They could still make more moves but at this point it looks like Green starts at center, Durant and Iguodala at forward, with David West the first forward off the bench.

And more contract madness: Point guard Mike Conley, who has never been an All-Star, never finished in the top ten in assists, and has a career average of about 14 points per game, has reportedly resigned with Memphis for five years at $153M!

Well, now that football is over I'll pay attention to NBA hoops. Haven't seen a game yet but apparently the Heat are Hot right now. A sub .500 team, with no overpaid divas, in a 12 game winning streak.

Golden State has tripled their amount of security around Durant for tonight's Warriors game at OKC. His 1st time back since walking away.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

How about that Charles Oakley thing? Dumbass.

There are definitely 2 sides to the Oakley thing. James Dolan, the Knicks owner, has a bug up his ass & always has for Oakley since Oakley has spoken out accurately about the futility of Knicks ownership & management (Phil J used to be the guru, but now he's just a grumpy old man who's lost his touch). Oakley is one of the 5 most popular former Knicks in history with the fans.

Oakley overreacted and went "street", but initially he was sitting there JUST watching the game and 2 dudes came up to him & told him he had to leave (he had bought his own ticket since Dolan doesn't even want him in the building). When he asked why, they told him, "because you've been ordered to leave". I know Oakley has more money than me, but why the f**k should he sacrifice the price of a practically courtside seat because Dolan is a douchebag?
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

I read that before he got to his seats he got into an angry exchange with security, swearing, using racial slurs, just generally being an ass. I never liked him personally. In the 90s when that rivalry with the Heat was in full force he had a reputation as being an enforcer. Personally, i think that style of ball is ugly. Anyway, I know he's loved by the fan base.

Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post
    Golden State has tripled their amount of security around Durant for tonight's Warriors game at OKC. His 1st time back since walking away.
    Even security couldn't stop Durant and Co. from kicking OKC's collective butts last night.
    "Henry Cow always wanted to push itself, so sometimes we would write music that we couldn't actually play – I found that very encouraging." - Lindsay Cooper, 1998
    "I have nothing to do with Endless River. Phew! This is not rocket science people, get a grip." - Roger Waters, 2014
    "I'm a collector. And I've always just seemed to collect personalities." - David Bowie, 1973