Page 17 of 51 FirstFirst ... 713141516171819202127 ... LastLast

Thread: NBA Basketball Thread

Utter logistical mayhem. 1 mile long / 4 hour waits at the RTA locations. Main RTA parking lot full at 6:45 AM. Bumper-to-bumper traffic on 2 of the interstates. Sidewalks full, spilling into the road. No hotel rooms available in the area. Unreal.

Akin to how the people in Oklahoma felt years ago when the dust stopped blowing, I imagine.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    Utter logistical mayhem. 1 mile long / 4 hour waits at the RTA locations. Main RTA parking lot full at 6:45 AM. Bumper-to-bumper traffic on 2 of the interstates. Sidewalks full, spilling into the road. No hotel rooms available in the area. Unreal.
    For the Lakers parade in 2002, I had to arrive to downtown L.A. by 5am before they shut down the surrounding streets. Even then, all parking lots by Staples Center were full. I parked at a lot a half mile away.

I work in downtown SF. Those Giants parades made for interesting days in the office--or out of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "And this is the chorus.....or perhaps it's a bridge...."

Good one, Geez.

It's looking like the parade route should have been longer. They're 55 deep each side of East 9th. Ty Lue said this morning that there could be 1 and a half million there. They're not equipped to handle that. I'm starting to worry that this could turn tragic, a la the Who in Cincinnati 1979. Maybe they're ready for this. ..we'll see.

I'd stay away.

Be careful.

I'm not there. I'd have had to go downtown last night to even be in with a chance.

It's 15 minutes late now. Chatter on the police scanners is the parade may be canceled, and go straight to the rally. The streets are clogged with people, and I don't know where they can go. They are going to try to go ahead with it, but right now the streets are impassable.

The crowd is estimated at 1.2 million now at 11:20 AM. People are in the trees. People are standing on the bus stops and port-a-johns. Unbelievable.

Sounds like a recipe for disaster. Hope there aren't any deaths.

Holy shit! I guess we shouldn't be surprised, but why is it that Americans have more trouble learning from the past than almost any other country?
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

You can watch a live feed on NBA.TV.

As I am hearing on the radio, the parade made it about 1 block before grinding to a halt. It sounds like they are going to divert the bands and floats to a side street, truncate the parade, and just try to get the cars with the players to the stage area for the rally. I'm going to find a TV when they do.

Check that. The full parade is pushing on. Players are taking selfies with bystanders!

The Bulls traded Derrick Rose and change to New York for Robin Lopez, Jose Calderon, and change.

Not sure what to make of this trade. Rose is a former MVP whose career has largely gone down the shitter due to injuries. Chicago must have really wanted Lopez since this trade doesn't make them any younger (Rose and Lopez are both 27, Calderon is 34) and doesn't save them any money (Rose has one year left on his contract at $21M, Calderon one year at $7M and Lopez three years at $14M). Joakim Noah is a free agent and I guess they figured he wasn't coming back so they needed a replacement center.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    Check that. The full parade is pushing on. Players are taking selfies with bystanders!
    There was no coverage of the parade or celebration on any L.A. news.

Still alive and proud of the Dubs.

Derrick Rose a Knick, interesting.
    Duncan's going to make a Horns Emoticon!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Gruno View Post
    There was no coverage of the parade or celebration on any L.A. news.
    They showed it on NBA TV, except for NE Ohio, where the locals had the coverage.

The roster for the US Olympic team was announced earlier this week, featuring DeMar DeRozan, DeMarcus Cousins, DeAndre Jordan, DeKyrie Irving, DeKlay Thompson, DeKyle Lowry, DeJimmy Butler, DeKevin Durant, DePaul George, Carmelo DeAnthony, Draymond DeGreen and Harrison DeBarnes.

The free agent dollars are flowing like crazy in the NBA, with guys who weren't even top-8 rotation players last season commanding $8M-$10M per year contracts.

$9.0M for Jerryd Bayless? $9.5M for Matthew Dellavedova?? $10.5M for Jon Leuer??? $11.9M for Austin Rivers????

A $10M minimum salary in the NBA might only be a couple seasons away.

Kevin Durant to Golden State!
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    Kevin Durant to Golden State!
    Ummm...how much better can a 73-9 team get? This type of crap is what makes the NBA virtually unwatchable. What's the point of rooting for a local team when you only have two or three powerhouse teams in the entire league and no one else has the slightest chance of sniffing a title? I know you can never bet on forgone conclusions, but at the start of last year it was pretty clear it was going to be the Warriors against the Cavs. Nothing's changing this year.
    "And your little sister's immaculate virginity wings away on the bony shoulders of a young horse named George who stole surreptitiously into her geography revision."

Occasional musical musings on https://darkelffile.blogspot.com/

80-2 won't mean a thing if they don't win a ring.
    "Henry Cow always wanted to push itself, so sometimes we would write music that we couldn't actually play – I found that very encouraging." - Lindsay Cooper, 1998
    "I have nothing to do with Endless River. Phew! This is not rocket science people, get a grip." - Roger Waters, 2014
    "I'm a collector. And I've always just seemed to collect personalities." - David Bowie, 1973

Quote Originally Posted by The Dark Elf View Post
    Ummm...how much better can a 73-9 team get?

Well.....they could win the championship.

This type of crap is what makes the NBA virtually unwatchable.
    Super teams are fine. Just don't tank to make your team better through the draft. That's bad for the league.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Ummm...how much better can a 73-9 team get? This type of crap is what makes the NBA virtually unwatchable. What's the point of rooting for a local team when you only have two or three powerhouse teams in the entire league and no one else has the slightest chance of sniffing a title? I know you can never bet on forgone conclusions, but at the start of last year it was pretty clear it was going to be the Warriors against the Cavs. Nothing's changing this year.
    He makes them deeper, but I don't know how much he makes them better. Part of what made guarding GS so maddening was their unique style of play. Having Durant diminishes the role of Green, who was the team's MVP last year. Durant is an acquisition you make no matter what so I'm not faulting them for doing it, but fears by the rest of the league that they'll be substantially better than last year are premature, IMO. They may end up not being any better at all.

Durant is pulling a "Lebron." He's going after his rings.

Just read Dwayne Wade signed a two year, 40 million dollar contract. That's obscene.