Page 12 of 51 FirstFirst ... 2891011121314151622 ... LastLast

Thread: NBA Basketball Thread

It looks like Toronto's game plan is to mug the Cavaliers as much as possible, and hope that they don't get called. Unfortunately for them, they are being called.

RIP Raps!

I think this is your year, moe, regardless of whether its OKC or GS.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post
    RIP Raps!

I think this is your year, moe, regardless of whether its OKC or GS.
    Geez, I'm a Cleveland fan, so we're always waiting for the other shoe to drop. It truly wouldn't shock me if James, Irving & Love all broke their legs in game 1 of the Finals...Having said that, there have been three games in this year's playoffs where the Cavaliers have looked like a juggernaut, and nobody could beat them. I more or less expect one more game like that in the finals. The question is, can we get close to that in 3 more games?

Based on what I've seen so far, I think if both of the teams in the finals, Cleveland and either OKC/Golden St, play to the best of their ability in every game, I think the Cavaliers will win the title. Also, I think if Kevin Love shows up in every game, we're likely to win it. They need to focus, and stay locked in for 2 weeks.

Fwiw, I think that this years Golden State team is better than last year's by some margin, and yet they may not be there to defend their crown, which is shocking to me. I also think that if Irving & Love had been healthy in last year's Final, the Cavaliers would have won in 5. If/But/Woulda/Coulda. This might be the year, as you said. If so, there will be a civic release of emotion like you've never seen. I only hope we do so with class, and don't have stupid riots/looting/burning like some other cities have done when they've won.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    File Under "Holy Shit": ESPN is reporting that the 76ers are gauging interest in possible trades that would move either or both Nerlens Noel and Jalil Okafor ahead of this year's draft.

What kind of mad scientist is running this team?
    I'd have no problem trading Noel, but trading Okafor would be insane. That kid is going to be a stud.

The problem is that there is a perception that the two of them can't play together (not a personality thing, more a "type of game" thing), which makes one of them expendable. But Noel, for his size, is rather ordinary, IMO. The real linchpin of this whole thing is Joel Embiid. If he can stay healthy, watch out. But it's very doubtful that he can stay healthy, unfortunately.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Unbelievable job by Golden State to come back and win this series. I mean, there's still a game seven, but you have to figure OKC's chances in that game to be somewhere between zero and none.

So, we've got GS and Cleveland, just like everybody was hoping. Should be a great one.

Gonna be a long summer for OKC. They had 'em, and they let them off the hook.

Wow.

I was kinda rooting for OKC. That loss was a kick in the balls. But yeah, if it's GS/Cleveland in the Finals it's what the league probably hoped for (although I bet Lebron would've preferred to take his chances against OKC). We're counting our eggs again. There's still one game left before the Finals.

BTW, what Lebron James has done now (6 Finals appearances in a row) is pretty remarkable. Don't think anyone else has ever done that in the history of the league. Well, win or lose this Finals, Lebron needs to (or should) stay in Cleveland. Finish what you started Lebron. I wouldn't take him back. It's like the guy is determined to win at least 6, and hopefully 7 rings so he can say he's "greater" than Michael Jordan. Sorry, regardless of how many rings Lebron has when he wraps up his career, Miachael will always be a better, all-around player (imo).

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    BTW, what Lebron James has done now (6 Finals appearances in a row) is pretty remarkable. Don't think anyone else has ever done that in the history of the league. Well, win or lose this Finals, Lebron needs to (or should) stay in Cleveland. Finish what you started Lebron. I wouldn't take him back. It's like the guy is determined to win at least 6, and hopefully 7 rings so he can say he's "greater" than Michael Jordan. Sorry, regardless of how many rings Lebron has when he wraps up his career, Miachael will always be a better, all-around player (imo).
    No one who wasn't a Celtic has ever done 6 finals in a row before, but Russell, Cousy, Sharman, KC Jones & Don Nelson (maybe more I can't remember) all did it.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

BTW, what Lebron James has done now (6 Finals appearances in a row) is pretty remarkable. Don't think anyone else has ever done that in the history of the league.
    Bill Russell made it to 10 in a row and 12 in 13 years, winning 11 times. Albeit in a much smaller league with only two playoff rounds for much of that streak.

It's like the guy is determined to win at least 6, and hopefully 7 rings so he can say he's "greater" than Michael Jordan.
    He's 2 for 6 in Finals appearances so far. At that rate he only needs to make it the Finals 12 more times to match Jordan's 6 championships.

My picks for the NBA's "All Bridesmaids" Team:

Elgin Baylor (0 for 8 in NBA Finals appearances)
    Jerry West (1 for 8)
    LeBron (2 for 6)
    Wilt Chamberlain (2 for 6)
    Julius Erving (1 for 4)

Damn, am I ever sick of hearing that "Seven Nation Army" cheer at NBA games! Has to be the worst crowd cheer in the history of sports. Even the execrable "Ole Ole Ole" would be preferable.

Quote Originally Posted by Brad to the Bone View Post
    Damn, am I ever sick of hearing that "Seven Nation Army" cheer at NBA games! Has to be the worst crowd cheer in the history of sports. Even the execrable "Ole Ole Ole" would be preferable.
    Is that what that is? God, yes, it's annoying. Between that and that Indian/Western movie chant thing Florida St and now so many others do...aargh!

Game 7 oughta be a good'n. Yeah the Thunder blew it last night, but let's not start tossin' dirt on 'em just yet.

LeBron is a great player and 6 straight trips to the finals is quite an achievement.
    Kobe was also a great player and he has 5 rings.
    Don't forget Tim Duncan.

Jordan was the greatest of all time, though. No disrespect to the others, and as a Dukie it hurts to give such high props to a Tar Heel, but it's just the truth. Jordan was the greatest and he proved it on the floor, time and time again.
    Hired on to work for Mr. Bill Cox, a-fixin' lawn mowers and what-not, since 1964.

"Arguing with an idiot is like playing chess with a pigeon. It'll just knock over all the pieces, shit on the board, and strut about like it's won anyway." Anonymous

“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” George Carlin

Totally agree about Jordan. I really got into hoops because of MJ. He was phenomenal.

Not only is Jordan the best ever, but imo, the gap between Jordan and the second best player is wider than the gap between any other 2 consecutively ranked players. (As I rank them.)

Quote Originally Posted by Reginod View Post
    Game 7 oughta be a good'n. Yeah the Thunder blew it last night, but let's not start tossin' dirt on 'em just yet.

LeBron is a great player and 6 straight trips to the finals is quite an achievement.
    Kobe was also a great player and he has 5 rings.
    Don't forget Tim Duncan.

Jordan was the greatest of all time, though. No disrespect to the others, and as a Dukie it hurts to give such high props to a Tar Heel, but it's just the truth. Jordan was the greatest and he proved it on the floor, time and time again.
    And if Len Bias wouldn't have died we wouldn't even be talking about Jordan.
    Last edited by Shadow; 05-30-2016 at 06:27 AM.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

Not only is Jordan the best ever, but imo, the gap between Jordan and the second best player is wider than the gap between any other 2 consecutively ranked players. (As I rank them.)
    Oscar Robertson was a better player than Michael Jordan, and Lebron James is a dead heat. IMO.

Bill Russell was better than Jordan as well, but it's a completely different position. Wilt Chamberlain, too.
    Last edited by Facelift; 05-30-2016 at 12:16 AM.

Yeah, gotta go with Geez here.

Yeah, gotta go with Geez here.
    Jordan as "the greatest of all time" is a mythological creation of the ESPN era. He's *one* of the all-time greats, sure. But the idea that he's number one and the only other discussion is for number two, is an unsupportable joke of a position.

^^^^ Nope. Jordan had a zest for the game, and an unsurpassed will to win, and the physical ability, and the work ethic, and the fundamentals that allowed him to continue to play at a high level and win after he'd passed his physical peak, and the leadership qualities, and the intelligence for the game, and the durability, and the unique selfishness that propels rare athletes, and the rings to show for it. Nobody else like that, at least not in my lifetime.
    Hired on to work for Mr. Bill Cox, a-fixin' lawn mowers and what-not, since 1964.

"Arguing with an idiot is like playing chess with a pigeon. It'll just knock over all the pieces, shit on the board, and strut about like it's won anyway." Anonymous

“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” George Carlin

Quote Originally Posted by Reginod View Post
    Nobody else like that, at least not in my lifetime.
    #99, Wayne Gretzky. (No one but MJ in Basketball.)
    "Henry Cow always wanted to push itself, so sometimes we would write music that we couldn't actually play – I found that very encouraging." - Lindsay Cooper, 1998
    "I have nothing to do with Endless River. Phew! This is not rocket science people, get a grip." - Roger Waters, 2014
    "I'm a collector. And I've always just seemed to collect personalities." - David Bowie, 1973

Quote Originally Posted by Facelift View Post
    Jordan as "the greatest of all time" is a mythological creation of the ESPN era. He's *one* of the all-time greats, sure. But the idea that he's number one and the only other discussion is for number two, is an unsupportable joke of a position.
    Sorry dude. I'm old enough to have seen them all, except Russell. Jordan was easily the greatest.

Sorry dude. I'm old enough to have seen them all, except Russell. Jordan was easily the greatest.
    I did see Russell (& all the others). Still MJ.

Russell was the greatest winner or most successful at winning.

As far as skill in all facets, yeah Jordan hasn't been matched (and may never be).