Page 5 of 51 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: NBA Basketball Thread

Helluva game between the Heat and Mavericks.

The Cavaliers are playing ABA ball now. Not much defense, but it's because the offense is clicking at such a clip that they don't need to.

If they stay healthy, I'll be shocked if they don't sweep the East in the playoffs.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    The Cavaliers are playing ABA ball now. Not much defense, but it's because the offense is clicking at such a clip that they don't need to.

If they stay healthy, I'll be shocked if they don't sweep the East in the playoffs.
    J.R. Smith has been on a ridiculous streak the past three games - 24, 25, and 27 points and a combined 18-for-30 from 3-point range.

Quote Originally Posted by Brad to the Bone View Post
    J.R. Smith has been on a ridiculous streak the past three games - 24, 25, and 27 points and a combined 18-for-30 from 3-point range.
    But he's the perfect example of all offence and no defense. Much like James Harden.
    Duncan's going to make a Horns Emoticon!!!

Warriors absolutely blew out the Cavs in Cleveland last night, leading by 13 after the first quarter, by 26 at the half, and by 37 after three quarters!

First meeting between the Warriors and Spurs next Monday. Spurs haven't lost since Christmas and are only two games back in the Western Conference standings now.

Warriors absolutely blew out the Cavs in Cleveland last night, leading by 13 after the first quarter, by 26 at the half, and by 37 after three quarters!

First meeting between the Warriors and Spurs next Monday. Spurs haven't lost since Christmas and are only two games back in the Western Conference standings now.
    Total embarrassment for the Cavaliers. Didn't watch any of the post-mortem, so don't know what coaches & players said afterward. They were playing as well as they have all year, and basically got knocked out in the first round by a team that looked like they came in on a mission.

That was the Warriors firing on all cylinders and the Cavs back on their heels. This does not reflect anything more than one team having a stellar game at the same time their opponent plays lackluster. Spurs will be the real test for us as they play similar ball, have similar talent, albeit a little older, and have just been killing it all over the league lately.

Quote Originally Posted by Just Eric View Post
    That was the Warriors firing on all cylinders and the Cavs back on their heels. This does not reflect anything more than one team having a stellar game at the same time their opponent plays lackluster.
    I think it shows how well the Warriors can shoot, and if they pull one of these performances out of their kit bag, no one can beat them on that day. Having said that, I don't think the Cavaliers reacted well, players or coaches. The only one who played well was J.R. Smith, until he was ejected on that BS flagrant II call. Not that he would have made much difference in the final outcome.

IMO the Spurs could lose BOTH Leonard & Aldridge to injury at the same time and they'd still be in better shape than the Warriors without JUST Steph. I guess that's a backhanded mvp vote.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Just heard the Cavs fired the head coach. What happened? I'd guess Lebron had something to do with it.

And Toronto is kicking the shit outta the Heat. We suck.

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    Just heard the Cavs fired the head coach. What happened? I'd guess Lebron had something to do with it.
    But...he said he was "surprised and caught off-guard like everybody"!

Strange time for the team to hire a 38-year old rookie head coach.

But...he said he was "surprised and caught off-guard like everybody"!
    You don't buy that do you?

The Cavaliers are claiming that James was not consulted. According to GM David Griffin, he has been contemplating the move for at least a month. The reasons given are that the team does not seem to be improving, and the players do not seem to be having fun anymore. Practices have stagnated. The management believes they are working with a four year window, and the fact that they have by far the largest payroll means that ownership wants to see a return on that investment, and pronto. The GM felt the team was moving incrementally backwards, and a move had to be made while the ship still has a chance to correct course.

As for Lue, he is considered one of the bright young minds in the game, and was highly sought after at the time the Cavaliers named Blatt as Head Coach. Lue was hired at the same time, and was paid more handsomely than assistant coaches normally are in the NBA. Furthermore, he was given the title of "Associate Head Coach," not "Assistant Coach." It could be said that the intent from the beginning was to have the replacement already in place, in case the experiment with the Euro league Head Coach went south.

Pretty rare for a team to fire the coach with the record and place in the standings like the Cavs, pretty risky. To me it reeks of players influence, not the first time a successful head coach has been fired on a James team.

OT, but the Michigan State Spartans are taking the ugly uniform concept to new lows. They look like members of the Lollipop Guild. Game's on ESPN now.

Rosters for the upcoming All-Star game were announced a couple days ago:

Eastern Conference Starters (Fan Voting):
    Carmelo Anthony, Paul George, LeBron James, Kyle Lowry, Dwyane Wade

Eastern Reserves:
    Chris Bosh, Jimmy Butler, DeMar DeRozan, Andre Drummond, Paul Millsap, Isaiah Thomas, John Wall

Western Starters:
    Kobe Bryant, Stephen Curry, Kevin Durant, Kawhi Leonard, Russell Westbrook

Western Reserves:
    LaMarcus Aldridge, DeMarcus Cousins, Anthony Davis, Draymond Green, James Harden, Chris Paul, Klay Thompson

Most conspicuous absence: Probably Damian Lillard, currently 6th in scoring, 7th in assists, and the only player among the top 15 scorers not selected.

Not that these glorified exhibitions matter, but I hate this new format. Neither starting team has a center, it's a complete joke.

Valient effort by the Sixers to tie the game with 20 seconds left. Then Golden State drove a dagger threw the Sixers heart. I'd like to see another GS/Cleveland Finals, and I hope GS sweeps them. I'm sick of Lebron thinking he's the greatest player in the world. Watch Lebron leave Cleveland again. He'll stay in the Eastern Conference of course. He knows that in the West he'll never play un the Finals again.

A dagger through there heart. Threw their heart?

Watching Spurs@Cavs. Rooting for SA. I'm sick of Lebron. He's a prima donna. I'm sick of him.

And the Cavs are torching the Spurs. .

That wasn't even a game tonight between the Spurs and Cavs.

As unfair as the Blatt firing may have seemed, they weren't going to beat the Warriors the way they were going. The change has been encouraging, playing to the team's strengths. I at least have some hope now.

Oh, and gotta put a word in for those great mid-70s Cavaliers uniforms. Wish they'd make them the main unis going forward.