Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Rick Wakeman - No Earthly Connection

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    It was as though Rick was composing an 8-bit video game soundtrack...
    LOL! That's exactly what it sounds like!

I'm not as into NEC as I was when it first came out, but parts of The Maker are quite beautiful, and the short synth solo at the end of The Reaper is in my view his best.*

And I don't believe the 'pissing in the bath' story about the beginning of The Spaceman. I think he told the story as a joke to the British music press when he was first promoting the album, and now he seems to have ended up believing it himself!

* EDIT: Actually there may be technically better solos - eg the two in Merlin - but Reaper is my favorite.

EDIT 2: Just listened to Anne Boleyn and I might change my mind.
    Last edited by Luckie; 10-24-2015 at 08:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by trurl View Post
    I haven't heard this since the 70s. Back then I didn't like it... at all... thought Criminal Record and Six Wives were better. I do remember the opening. It could be worth a re-visit.
    for Criminal Record. Love that album.

28-minute prog song. Longer than any Yes tunes!

Decent album, but the vocals often sound like faux-opera mush.

I like NEC quite a lot. Wakeman integrates more rock and even funk(!) into his orchestrated symph vision and the results are strong. The vocals are what they are. You either learn to tolerate Ashley Holt or you don't!

By the way, about that RW "Greatest Hits" CD set: Yes, it's a cheap quickie. The Yes disc is mediocre throughout. But the RW Solo disc is good. The entire Journey done as an instrumental w/o orchestra is very effective. And it really is the whole Journey, not just a collection of excerpts.

Quote Originally Posted by arturs View Post
    The entire Journey done as an instrumental w/o orchestra is very effective. And it really is the whole Journey, not just a collection of excerpts.
    That's how he did it on the Wakeman and Wakeman tour (or whatever it was called). I was lucky enough to get a pretty nice recording of that. 45 minutes and all instrumental.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

I have a soft spot for No Earthly Connection. Even with all of it's faults and cheesiness. I'd sill take it over most of the music recorded in the last 30 years.

I wish he would do more music like Judas. I consider it his masterpiece of writing. If you turn off the lights and immerse yourself into this piece it’s mesmerizing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Fracktured; 07-15-2018 at 07:19 PM.

Banned
    I for one think it's an excellent album full of great playing, ideas and arrangements, sometimes I even inspired .. and the vocals are absolutely fine. I can understand if you don't like the style or think they're "croony" or over the top, but they are absolutely excellent in terms on intonation, projection, articulation, resonance etc. I would bet dollars to dogsit the folks putting down Ashley Holt have never had a vocal lesson in their lives. If they had they may even be in awe of Mr. Holt. Its like saying Roy Clark is a lousy guitarist just because you don't like what he does.

The lyrics can be a bit annoying but not in comparison with Jon Anderson's word salads.

EDIT: I will concede that occasionaly Ashely has some questionable intonation but regardless he is a fine singer IMO.
    Last edited by Buddhabreath; 07-16-2018 at 09:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Fracktured View Post
    I wish he would do more music like Judas. I consider it his masterpiece of writing. If you turn off the lights and immerse yourself into this piece it’s mesmerizing
    That entire Record is amazing! Essential af.

Quote Originally Posted by dropforge View Post
    That entire Record is amazing! Essential af.
    I could do without The Breathalizer

After seeing this thread,i dusted off my old vinyl and enjoyed it very much.Ashley Holt is not the type of singer that i like,always preferred more high voices.After saying this i have to tell you that the one time I saw him live with Rick he blew me away with the power of his voice.So,respect from me to the guy.