Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Rick Wakeman - No Earthly Connection

Can't understand any criticism of the sound Rick uses there. Have you heard Tormato or the 'pan-flute' sounds he got so fond of later?

I would rank NEC 5th in my all time favorite Wakeman's outputs, being Arthur and Six Wives on my desert island discs list.

1- Arthur
    2- Six Wives
    3- Journey
    4- Criminal Record
    5- No Earthly Connection

Understand why some people dislike Ashley Holt (not my case), but when he tries to sing the high notes that's when it hurts.

Earthy and Wives are Ricks best comfortably

Quote Originally Posted by ProgArtist View Post
    It is one of the best parts of the song and it ALWAYS gets to me in a good way. I would attribute part of it to what the rest of the boys are playing in the background. Maybe bigjohnwayne is referring specifically to Rick's choice of synth sound in the solo, in which case I can see where's he's coming from. I do which he had chosen a less shrill sound there, but it's still an awesome solo.
    For me, it’s the only part of that song that comes alive. The rest of it is like this:

Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

indeed Six Waves rawks

After discovering that fantastic and entralling Six Wives, I'd bought a few (second hand) albums a bit blindly: Arthur, Journey, NEC, Rhapsodies and maybe later 1984. I was appalled by all of them... Got rid of them around a year or two later (after a few re-listens)
    When I listen to Six Wives, I am not just listening to Rick, but all the instruments. The drumming is equal to task on Six Wives. The whole thing is just such a superior album to Rick's other offerings. I don't know what people are focusing on who think NEC is a better release. Any ideas?

^Who exactly claimed this *was* a better release than Six Wives?

Suspended
    I was always intrigued by the cover of NEC, which I later learned was what is called an anamorphic projection. did anyone here acquire or make the reflective cone that you are supposed to put in the middle in order to view the undistorted image of Rick?

Quote Originally Posted by bob_32_116 View Post
    I was always intrigued by the cover of NEC, which I later learned was what is called an anamorphic projection. did anyone here acquire or make the reflective cone that you are supposed to put in the middle in order to view the undistorted image of Rick?
    Yes I did and when you do it perfect he looks like a hologram.

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by Rand Kelly View Post
    Yes I did and when you do it perfect he looks like a hologram.
    It's not something he can help ...

Yes and it didn't make him look any better.

Quote Originally Posted by miamiscot View Post
    Six Wives, Criminal Record and No Earthly Connection are his only good solo albums. Sorry.
    I tend to group Six Wives / Criminal Record / White Rock and parts of Rhapsodies as the only ones I played consistently back in the day..

I grew up with RW's early solo records, and bought everything through Criminal Record as it came out. Wore out the grooves on each one, I loved them so much. Today, the only things I can listen to now without cringing are all of Six Wives and Judas Iscariot. :shrug
    David
    Happy with what I have to be happy with.

Always my fav RW solo album hands down! i love the earlier stuff too, esp. Arthur and Journey, but this one rules start to finish.

Quote Originally Posted by proggy_jazzer View Post
    I grew up with RW's early solo records, and bought everything through Criminal Record as it came out. Wore out the grooves on each one, I loved them so much. Today, the only things I can listen to now without cringing are all of Six Wives and Judas Iscariot. :shrug
    Something about the use of the moog, pipe organ and the choir in Judas gives me chills even after all these years of hearing it. Turn off the lights and listen to this piece, it would be great Halloween music.

Quote Originally Posted by Fracktured View Post
    Something about the use of the moog, pipe organ and the choir in Judas gives me chills even after all these years of hearing it. Turn off the lights and listen to this piece, it would be great Halloween music.
    I love that one. It's the only album I have on vinyl, and I'm so glad I finally found it on CD.

A piece of reflective foil was included in the album packaging; I remember looking at the album in a record shop and the seeing the square of foil in the sleeve.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar

And the back cover turns the foil cylinder into a glass of beer if I remember correctly? Another nice touch. I liked this album tons back in the day, thought it was a step up from King Arthur.

Thanks for sharing that Dave, never actually seen it before (don't own any vinyl version).
    The truth will set you free, but first it will piss you off

Six Wives & Criminal Record are my faves!

This thread prompted me to pull out my neglected copy of Rick Wakeman's Greatest Hits.

Yeesh.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    This thread prompted me to pull out my neglected copy of Rick Wakeman's Greatest Hits.

Yeesh.
    More cheese than the enchiladas I just had for lunch.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    More cheese than the enchiladas I just had for lunch.
    Even though it's allegedly keyboards, bass & drums, I swear it sounds like someone playing back MIDI files.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post

Yeesh.
    Holy COW, was that the biggest ripoff I ever bought. It was so horrible; Wakeman's new arrangements were all plastic and monotonous, robbing any soul out of the music. I have no idea what prompted him to do that. Even though there ARE melodies, I felt it was about as music-less as "Metal Machine Music." I got rid of it as quickly as I could.
    "Arf." -- Frank Zappa, "Beauty Knows No Pain" (live version)

Yeah, Greatest Hits was pretty awful. Lovely cover by Roger Dean, and that's about the nicest thing I can say about it. It was as though Rick was composing an 8-bit video game soundtrack...

Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***