Thread: Mark Knopfler Tour

Mark Knopfler Tour

Saw Mark Tuesday night in Pittsburgh.

He has a diverse talented 8 piece band supplemented by a sax player on about 4 songs.

Thoroughly enjoyed the show. Only misgivings were so so renditions of "Sultans" and " So Far Away" Killer version of "Romeo and Juliet". All of his solo work was more intricate and sublime!

Do you know will he be touring europe after? Or did he maybe do a euro-leg before crossing the pond?

Got tickets for 10/27 and very much looking forward to the show. Even though I've been a fan since the first DS album, this'll be my first time seeing him. Since I bought my tix directly from his website, they sent me a free copy of his latest CD "Tracker" and just recently a code to download a live show from 2013, which is fantastic. His band sounds so tight live.

Sorry if this is slightly off topic, but I recently listened to Mark Knopfler's 'The Last Laugh' (featuring Van Morrison in the vocals too) being played in a local clothes selling store. Indeed stunned by the heartfelt and so lovely melody, afterwards I found out that it is in the album 'Sailing To Philadelphia', I personally didn't like so much Van Morrison participation in that tune, I found Mark Knopfler's more sweet and mellow way of singing more suitable for the song.
    I'm very interested in digging into Knopfler's solo works but really don't know where to start, since he seems to be a very prolific artist, given his huge discography... I would thank you a thread about his works
    "Beethoven can write music, thank God, but he can do nothing else on earth. ". Ludwig van Beethoven

I will be seeing Mark Saturday evening at The Academy of Music. I have heard rave reviews of this tour. Looking forward to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Robson View Post
    I'm very interested in digging into Knopfler's solo works but really don't know where to start, since he seems to be a very prolific artist, given his huge discography... I would thank you a thread about his works
    There was a thread recently at PE where Mark's solo work was discussed but unfortunately I can't find it. I will just give you my recommendation , I would start at his fist solo album "Golden Heart" and just work your way forward in his catalog, all of his solo albums are really good , in my opinion.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mark_K...8since_1996.29

Quote Originally Posted by bobert View Post
    There was a thread recently at PE where Mark's solo work was discussed but unfortunately I can't find it. I will just give you my recommendation , I would start at his fist solo album "Golden Heart" and just work your way forward in his catalog, all of his solo albums are really good , in my opinion.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mark_K...8since_1996.29
    Thanks a lot
    "Beethoven can write music, thank God, but he can do nothing else on earth. ". Ludwig van Beethoven

Loved all of Knopfler's albums since Rag Picke'rs Dream. Shangri-La and Get Lucky are so good it's criminal!

His album with Chet Atkins (shortly before CA died) is guitar magic imo.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Any idea who is guitar player was? Was it the great Richard Bennett?

Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post
    His album with Chet Atkins (shortly before CA died) is guitar magic imo.
    This 1+