Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: When the drummer steals the show. It doesn't happen often, but....

What's Phil do with his other hand?

Nevermind. Don't want to know!

Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    I wonder if it ever happened that Moon the Loon and Bonzo were in the same room together partaking of the amber nektar.....that would have been one hell of a charged atmosphere.
    Moon sat in on a Zep show once in 1977.

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post

taking a selfie of course.....

As mentioned elsewhere, Masuhiro Goto with Gerard:

Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

I've seen Three Friends 13x and Malcolm Mortimore has grabbed my attention the most in all those shows. Also grabbing more than their fair share of my attention in recent years were the drummer for Blur and Glenn Milchem of Blue Rodeo.
    I remember tomorrow

Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    I wonder if it ever happened that Moon the Loon and Bonzo were in the same room together partaking of the amber nektar.....that would have been one hell of a charged atmosphere.
    Probably. I saw LZ open for The Who in '69.
    Hell, they ain't even old-timey ! - Homer Stokes

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post

He was uhhh.....reaching for his drumstick.
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

Yoshida steals the show from his MIDI (yet again):

"Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Iguana...LOVE that guy!!!!!

Minnemann stole the show from Simon Phillips, no small feat, when I saw them on the same drum stage with Jobson. Freak show plus! Also, Mangini pretty much stole every show I ever saw him in. So entertaining. Gavin Harrison steals the show too.

Quote Originally Posted by gpeccary View Post
    Iguana...LOVE that guy!!!!!
    It gets very corny in this one

Damn, I forgot all about Zoltan - a drummer who used to gig in my area of Florida and now plays for Vince Neil.... He has TONED DOWN what he used to do onstage (probably at Vinces request) which included juggling bowling pins or torches while he played....Heres a clip -- keep in mind this isnt NEAR what he used to do onstage back in the 80s/early 90s.....

Quote Originally Posted by pb2015 View Post
    Moon sat in on a Zep show once in 1977.
    Wow!!!!! Thanks, I didn't know that.

Vinnie Colaiuta with the Chick Corea Trio. At 7:03, Vinnie causes Chick (who's always been very adventurous with subdivisions and hemiolas himself) to ask him where "one" is. I have my doubts that any drummer has messed Chick up like that before or since.

Never saw that vid before--thanks for that! Great stuff. Tumba. Tumbao. Timba.
    :-)

Carmine Appice with Vanilla Fudge on the Sullivan show in 1968. All I remembered of that performance was Carmine.

http://en.musicplayon.com/play?v=423834
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.

Quote Originally Posted by Supersonic Scientist View Post
    I thought Portnoy was a complete ASS at NF when , at the end of their set, he yells into the microphone "wasn't that the best shit you ever heard"?...where I stood up and politely yelled back "no!"
    Jeez! If he has to ask, yours was the correct answer.

Quote Originally Posted by wideopenears View Post
    Antonio is awesome, live. I loved what he did for that film--he's got a couple of cameos in it, playing drums, in fact, which were really clever. He's released a couple recent solo albums, with bands, that are fabulous. He's quite a composer. I've seen him a few times with Metheny, and he's blown my mind a few times. Would love to see him with his own band.
    I saw him live with the Danilo Perez Trio quite a while ago, before he was playing with Metheny. At one point, I heard a cowbell playing the clave rhythm and I asked my buddy, "who's playing cowbell?" He told me to stand up and look... and Antonio was playing it with his foot (with a bass drum beater). Then he went on to do a wild drum solo where it sounded like he was speeding up and slowing down (but he wasn't; it was all subdivisions) while keeping that clave going with his foot the whole time. On the break, I told him that I've never seen a drummer do that and he said, "really?" As if to say, "you don't get out much, huh, Gringo?!" Later, I learned that lots of congeros in NYC do that.

Never saw that vid before--thanks for that! Great stuff.
    You can find the whole set on YT. I loved that trio with Weckl, but Vinnie kicks it up a few notches!

Yes, he's got the foot pedal cowbell--love that! Blew my mind when I first saw it, but you know, Ernie, if anyone does on this board, that the Latin Music guys have rhythm down like no one else....that vid with Colaiuta, Chick and John is a great demonstration of rhythmic mastery at an extraordinarily high level. It's just ridiculous. The only thing I can possibly compare would be something like Zakir Hussain or another master in the Indian classical tradition.

The only thing I can possibly compare would be something like Zakir Hussain or another master in the Indian classical tradition.
    Yep! Speaking of Indian rhythm masters, there's that Trilok Gurtu drum solo on McLaughlin's live Royal Festival Hall album. Possibly the most amazing drum solo I've ever heard!

Last edited by No Pride; 10-15-2015 at 01:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by klothos View Post
    Damn, I forgot all about Zoltan - a drummer who used to gig in my area of Florida and now plays for Vince Neil.... He has TONED DOWN what he used to do onstage (probably at Vinces request) which included juggling bowling pins or torches while he played....Heres a clip -- keep in mind this isnt NEAR what he used to do onstage back in the 80s/early 90s.....
    Zoltan is the drummer for Slaughter. In fact, Vince Neil's backing band is Slaughter minus Mark Slaughter. It's interesting when they play on the same bill.

Here's some pics I shot of Slaughter with Zoltan a couple of years ago in Anaheim, CA:

Caught him in mid-flight during his show-ending vault from the drum set:

Nothing to do with anything but the look of double-kick kits with a single center mounted tom just drives me nuts. The guy with Foriegner was set up like that. Great drummer; I should remember his name...

Quote Originally Posted by Gruno View Post
    Is that another drummer hidden backstage on the left holding all of it down?!?

Quote Originally Posted by klothos View Post
    Stealing the show, with the emphasis on SHOW! I have to wonder, was he always doing that kind of stuff, or did he ever just play?

Speaking of drummers we've played with, this guy, Mark Walker was in my own band (Bad Dog U) for about 9 years, longer than any of the 3 drummers we went through. He left to move to NYC, where he got pigeon-holed as a latin jazz drummer (which he was great at, but he was great at any kind of music). Fans of the band Oregon will be familiar with him; Mark has been with them for almost 2 decades now. I've played with many great drummers, but he was the best, a true "natural!" Here he is playing with latin jazz pianist, Michel Camilo, doing an Airto tune:

Awesome, Ernie.