Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FEATURED CD - Gerard : The Ruins Of A Glass Fortress

FEATURED CD - Gerard : The Ruins Of A Glass Fortress

Per Progressor:
    Prologue. To date, I've only heard a few tracks by this well-known Japanese band on Musea compilations. If my memory doesn't fail me, these guys from the Land of the Rising Sun (which is so rich in Prog) played much harder on their previous albums. As I guess, this group had a guitarist then, as well as a female singer who used their native lyrics. In any case, this CD released by Musea in the end of 2000, is highly different from anything Ive heard from Gerard before.

The Album. The band's latest opus "The Ruins of a Glass Fortress" is practically a true conceptual album (as I said before, even those entirely instrumental albums whose music is composed the united (conceptual) stylistic way, being additionally (yet purposely) accompanied with corresponding texts reflecting the musical events in the album's booklet, are not truly conceptual, but just pseudo or semi-condceptual). Both songs here, - like two islands in an instrumental sea, - have common ground in idealistic outlook on fragility of the illusory physical world, and thus of all the Earthly hopes and emotions. It is difficult to call such lyrics philosophical since, first of all, they're too short here. Despite the skills and originality of the guest vocalist, there is a slight accent in his pronounciation which is obvious even to me, though English is not my native language. However, due to the vocal talents of the singer, prog-lovers should not be bothered by such minor defects. Foreign singers with strong accents are widely accepted now, not to mention that we are becoming more and more used to hearing the original languages from a lot of foreign bands. But to me, albums with songs which I don't understand rarely remain in my collection. For all Poles, Venezualans, Hungarians and many others, who join the international Progressive Rock scene, it is necessary, in my view, they won't forget about the average international listener, as only English is presently really an international language, and also this is an original language of Rock since the UK is the country of its origin.. In my reviews I frequently go off-topic and talk about things that aren't always related to music, but in the letters I get people support me in such a "thoughtful approach to reviewing the albums". So, I'll probably carry on writing in this manner with the same influence of spontanaeity on what I write about. But it's time to return to music on this album. Stylistically (only) Gerard are close to the early works of ELP, but I would never name Gerard as a kind of their derivatives. Although the fact that this trio is inspired by ELP and their early works is obvious, you won't find on "The Ruins of a Glass Fortress" any borrowing themes, episodes, solos, etc, at all - either from ELP or from any other bands I know, and I know plenty of them. But in terms of style, it is not breaking any new ground.

Summary. All in all, this album will be interesting only to 'experimental listeners', and I can see that will be above your typical 'neo-progger'. However, for such people in the latter group, who want to step above cheap imitations like GLD (I can't even recommend that these fools look for inspiration even in LSD, - God forgive me! - inspiration is beyond them), I recommend the best work of IQ (from 1983, 1985, 1993, 1997 & 2001), Saga's "Generation 13" from 1995, as well as most of the Marillion albums (except their Classic masterpiece "Brave" from 1994). After such preparations they may begin to understand more complex works like "The Ruins of A Glass House".
    http://www.progressor.net/review/gerard_2000.html

Regards,

Duncan

Interesting selection Duncan. You don't see much about Gerard or Ars Nova here on PE. IMHO they are among the leaders in bombastic keyboard prog and deserve more attention. This was my first foray into those groups and I was hooked quickly. The fact that mentions Gerard in relation to Neo is a little absurd. Think Aquatarkus nor Subterranea and you'll get an idea of the territory covered on this release.

For gits and shiggles, check out Keyboard Triangle (Gerard and Ars Nova cover Progs best keyboard epics)
    Duncan's going to make a Horns Emoticon!!!

West of Worcester (Western Massachusetts)
    I just picked up that Ars Nova/Gerard disc used in Montreal, featuring pieces by PFM, Banco, Trace, ELP, wakeman..I'm loving it! I picked up the featured album before their Nearfest gig and had it signed there. Haven't listened in years...time to revisit but I remember really liking it.

Quote Originally Posted by Just Eric View Post
    For gits and shiggles, check out Keyboard Triangle (Gerard and Ars Nova cover Progs best keyboard epics)
    Keyboard Triangle was the first time I had heard of Gerard, and this is the first CD of theirs I bought. I actually own most of their catalog because a retailer was blowing it out for $5 each. Money well spent, IMO.

You don't see much about Gerard or Ars Nova here on PE. IMHO they are among the leaders in bombastic keyboard prog and deserve more attention.
    You caught this thread here, right?: http://www.progressiveears.org/forum...light=ars+nova

FWIW, I think Gerard are infinitely better than the dodgy and dubious Ars Nova, and the album in question here is quite alright. They still fall a bit short next to someone like Pochakaite Malko, though - IMHO, of course.
    Last edited by Scrotum Scissor; 10-14-2015 at 03:12 PM.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    You caught this thread here, right?: http://www.progressiveears.org/forum...light=ars+nova

FWIW, I think Gerard are infinitely better than the dodgy and dubious Ars Nova, and the album in question here is quite alright. They still fall a bit short next to someone like Pochakaite Malko, though - IMHO, of course.
    Ars Nova has one key thing that Gerard doesn't, boobs.

They also have a DVD.

..with boobs.

You guys aren't allowed to say that. Somehow, it's misogyny. On PE, anyway.

Ars Nova has one key thing that Gerard doesn't, boobs.
    Meh, their boobs are tinier than my chin. Not for me.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

^Classy!

West of Worcester (Western Massachusetts)
    Meh, their boobs are tinier than my chin. Not for me.
    I have Ars Nova's Biogenesis Project ('03), more akin to an Ayreon disc (I think Arjen's on it iirc) and the cover art features some really nice pics, not sure whose breasts are featured but they are not small.

Quote Originally Posted by rockcup View Post
    They also have a DVD.
    Argghh, Gerard has SEVERAL DVDs and I've been trying to acquire them for years! Their website is all in Japanese and I can't make heads nor tails of it but there clearly have been at least a half dozen DVDs I've seen over the years on the website and clips occasionally show up on Youtube. If anyone knows how to get these DVDs, please let me know.

I love these guys and Glass Fortress is one of their best! Egawa on keys is definitely inspired by Eddie Jobson during his UK days. The band lost a bit of their bombast though when they replaced Goto on drums.
    You say Mega Ultra Deluxe Special Limited Edition Extended Autographed 5-LP, 3-CD, 4-DVD, 2-BlueRay, 4-Cassette, five 8-Track, MP4 Download plus Demos, Outtakes, Booklet, T-Shirt and Guitar Pick Gold-Leafed Box Set Version like it's a bad thing...

Interesting selection Duncan. You don't see much about Gerard or Ars Nova here on PE. IMHO they are among the leaders in bombastic keyboard prog and deserve more attention. This was my first foray into those groups and I was hooked quickly. The fact that mentions Gerard in relation to Neo is a little absurd. Think Aquatarkus nor Subterranea and you'll get an idea of the territory covered on this release.

There's also Keyboards Triangle II, which is entirely Gerard: http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=11509

In 2012, they issued an EP called Gap Moe with four more covers. I haven't heard this one, but it includes Rainbow's "Spotlight Kid": http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=43777

I’m probably not truly qualified to say. The only Gerard album I have is The Pendulum, which has its moments but overall I found it rather mediocre. Ars Nova have a pretty consistent sound (in that it’s frequently hard to tell which one you’re listening to if you own more than one) but I find them a lot more satisfying. And I still get a lot of mileage out of Transi at least (their later ones by the three-piece group, at least, are also good, but they rather repeat the formula first established on Transi). Not especially fond of the metal-ish direction Keiko drove the band into, but its her band and her choice, so whatever [shrug]. I wonder how much the “sex appeal” is their own choice in presentation, and how much of it is their lecherous manager Numero Ueno forcing them to do the silly S&M stage antics. Whatever, it shifts units and sells concert tickets: Ars Nova are certainly more talked about than Gerard.

On the other hand, I saw Gerard live in 1999, and they were amazing! Not sure what album most of the material came from (Pandora’s Box would be my guess), but it was first-rate stuff. Masuhiro Goto was the drummer, and he absolutely stole the show. He later replaced Akiko Takahashi in Ars Nova, and they couldn’t have asked for a better replacement, if you ask me.
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

Quote Originally Posted by Progbear View Post
    I’m probably not truly qualified to say. The only Gerard album I have is The Pendulum
    You need to get Live at Marseilles. It's entirely instrumental and a real kick in the pants. Pandora's Box is also better than The Pendulum, as is the featured selection.

Eric,

Ars Nova got a lot of attention on PE many years ago, which then (naturally) brought Gerard into the conversation. For a year or 2 they were frequently discussed on the board ... and then I saw them at Nearfest, where I thought their performance was impressive but not necessarily memorable.

After that, both bands fell out of the limelight on PE.

Anyway, in my search through my (meager) stack of CDs, and in the interest of continuing to try to keep the featured CDs as varied as possible, my 9 Gerard albums caught my attention. I don't have either of the keyboard triangles, or the Live At Marseilles which is supposed to be masterful though I haven't heard it ... will see if I can hunt them down when the time and the budget is right.

I just remembered this one as being one of the better ones I have.
    Regards,

Duncan

I picked this CD up after their NF performance in 2002. It has been many years since I have listened to it, I will play it tomorrow

I must be tired. I can't possibly think who GLD is, who the reviewer so maligns. I rather like Gerard though, even if they are rather light on chords, those repeating very basic chord sequences I can tire of pretty quickly.

I believe GLD = Grey Lady Down.

These bands sound passionless to me and displaying virtouosity in a very mechanical way.
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

I've sampled quite a bit of Gerard over the years, and never bought one of their albums. I listened to the two tracks above in light of what you said here, and I can't say I agree. There are strong similarities between the two bands, but I think Ars Nova's compositions are far more interesting and often more subtle (if you can believe one could use that word in conjunction with either band ) than Gerard's. I think Ars Nova sort of lost the plot after Book of the Dead, but those first four albums contain a lot of interesting stuff, far more interesting to my ears than what I'm hearing from Gerard.

But I totally agree with you about Pochakaite Malko, who are one of my favorite bands, particularly their debut.

Quote Originally Posted by spacefreak View Post
    These bands sound passionless to me and displaying virtouosity in a very mechanical way.
    Yeah, I can totally see how one might feel this way. This stuff is not for everybody. But some people actually dig the kind of excitement bands like this can generate, even while recognizing a certain level of "cheese" and acknowledging a certain mechanical quality. Most Space Rock bores me to rages of tears, so it really is a case of different strokes.

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by dropforge View Post
    I believe GLD = Grey Lady Down.
    Oh thanks! I guess I've not heard any of their music.

Quote Originally Posted by bill g View Post
    Oh thanks! I guess I've not heard any of their music.
    They're nothing like Gerard or Ars Nova. They were around when the term "Neo-Prog" really gained traction, and were one of the bands that were quite representative of the style.

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan Glenday View Post
    Eric,

Ars Nova got a lot of attention on PE many years ago, which then (naturally) brought Gerard into the conversation. For a year or 2 they were frequently discussed on the board ... and then I saw them at Nearfest, where I thought their performance was impressive but not necessarily memorable.

After that, both bands fell out of the limelight on PE.

Anyway, in my search through my (meager) stack of CDs, and in the interest of continuing to try to keep the featured CDs as varied as possible, my 9 Gerard albums caught my attention. I don't have either of the keyboard triangles, or the Live At Marseilles which is supposed to be masterful though I haven't heard it ... will see if I can hunt them down when the time and the budget is right.

I just remembered this one as being one of the better ones I have.
    Maybe it's time for a Japan week, Shingetsu, Ruins, ....