Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: The Ultimate Prog God is…………?!

FZ - and with a conehead - and no capes!

Eddy Offord

Does it matter that this waste of time is what makes a life for you?

Quote Originally Posted by taliesin View Post
    Nigel Tufnel.

Or David St. Hubbins.

Or both.
    Man, you suck. Just came across this thread and I was totally going with Derek Smalls but you beat me to it. However, I would go with Nigel over D.S. Hubbins. If his guitar solo isn't prog I don't know what is.

ETA: I'm losing it. I read that wrong. I would have sworn it said Derek yet it's Nigel.

I'm thinking it's blowback from a alternate universe thingamabob. That's why I don't remember them building that scoreboard in right at Wrigley and why I still think it was Berenstein and not Berenstain.

Or, I'm just getting old and don't want to admit it. Even using Occam's Razor, I'm still inclined to believe the former explanation.
    Last edited by TheLoony; 10-14-2015 at 06:02 PM.
    Carry On My Blood-Ejaculating Son - JKL2000

The first caveman who beat two rocks together in 9/8.

Quote Originally Posted by TheLoony View Post
    Man, you suck. Just came across this thread and I was totally going with Derek Smalls but you beat me to it. However, I would go with Nigel over D.S. Hubbins. If his guitar solo isn't prog I don't know what is.

ETA: I'm losing it. I read that wrong. I would have sworn it said Derek yet it's Nigel.

I'm thinking it's blowback from a alternate universe thingamabob. That's why I don't remember them building that scoreboard in right at Wrigley and why I still think it was Berenstein and not Berenstain.

Or, I'm just getting old and don't want to admit it. Even using Occam's Razor, I'm still inclined to believe the former explanation.
    Well the alternate universe explanation is the most prog one so I think you're right to go with that one .

hmmmmmm.....Michael Portnoy !!!

Quote Originally Posted by Jay.Dee View Post

Hell, they ain't even old-timey ! - Homer Stokes

Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post
    Well, corrected right back again: Giorgio Gomelsky

Look at his credentials (not even all are here):
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Giorgio_Gomelsky

btw - How about the Young Gods (from Switzerland) ?
    I know about Gomelski, right from the Yardbirds and Magma, all the way through

Thiough there was a time (around 75/6, with the disco boom) where I confused the two Giorgio, solely on the first name basis
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by taliesin View Post
    Well the alternate universe explanation is the most prog one so I think you're right to go with that one .
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Omega, because with these duds, they SURELY live on Mt Olympus

iu.jpg
    "Always ready with the ray of sunshine"

^

Sorry, but that famous Omega pic pales next to the infamous one of Rush in silk robes wearing lipgloss on 2112.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by mogrooves View Post

Quote Originally Posted by strawberrybrick View Post
    Omega, because with these duds, they SURELY live on Mt Olympus

iu.jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    ^

Sorry, but that famous Omega pic pales next to the infamous one of Rush in silk robes wearing lipgloss on 2112.
    You guys oughta check out Angel's Sinful album cover... Or Grateful Dead's Go To Heaven...

Ok, not nearly as bad as Omega or Rush

It's ok to wear white as long as you mix things up a bit. For example:

^ Excellent. Especially that 'guy' with the bowtie.
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

^

Your pale is my bright!

Your pale is my bright!
    Well, to your advantage, Omega were apparently quite consistently dressing campy during those years.

Well, to your advantage, Omega were apparently quite consistently dressing campy during those years.
    The question is whether they knew they were dressing campy, or you know, that's just the way the dressed!

The question is whether they knew they were dressing campy, or you know, that's just the way the dressed!
    You mean, like, if they wandered around in those costumes in downtown Budapest and stuff? Hittin' the town for some skirt/pants/whatever?

You mean, like, if they wandered around in those costumes in downtown Budapest and stuff? Hittin' the town for some skirt/pants/whatever?
    Exactly. Were they that baddass? I think so.

Quote Originally Posted by viukkis View Post
    It's ok to wear white as long as you mix things up a bit. For example:

They are Danish !
    Never heard about them. There is probably a reason.

I'm a little surprised nobody has mentioned Bill Bruford. If I were to believe in the (silly imo) notion of a "prog god," I think he'd get my vote. Who else has played in three of the "Big Five" (six, whatever) bands? Not to mention leading one of my favorite bands of all time, Bruford. Earthworks wasn't too shabby either.

Quote Originally Posted by No Pride View Post
    I'm a little surprised nobody has mentioned Bill Bruford. If I were to believe in the (silly imo) notion of a "prog god," I think he'd get my vote. Who else has played in three of the "Big Five" (six, whatever) bands? Not to mention leading one of my favorite bands of all time, Bruford. Earthworks wasn't too shabby either.
    And he's a pretentious twat who is still somehow likeable. Win!

Quote Originally Posted by No Pride View Post
    I'm a little surprised nobody has mentioned Bill Bruford. If I were to believe in the (silly imo) notion of a "prog god," [...] Who else has played in three of the "Big Five" (six, whatever) bands? Not to mention leading one of my favorite bands of all time, Bruford. Earthworks wasn't too shabby either.
    AND he played with Gong, UK and National Health as well - anyone able to keep up with Dave Stewart's compositions deserves some favour. You're onto something, although I'm not really that crazy about Bruford's drumming.

AND he played with Gong, UK and National Health as well - anyone able to keep up with Dave Stewart's compositions deserves some favour. You're onto something, although I'm not really that crazy about Bruford's drumming.
    WHAT?!

I do like his drumming, but there's probably two dozen drummers I like better. Still, if track record qualifies one to be a "prog god," he's the guy.