Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Moon Safari UK Yes support

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    I've been listening to more Moon Safari lately, and now really looking forward to their sets on CTTE, especially one night they play a midnight set on deck. As long as the weather cooperates, that should be great!

While they don't really sound anything like Camel, I somehow get a really mellow, widdly-widdly vibe from them that reminds me of Camel, with the harmony vocals on top. There's just enough free time before their set to grab a couple of quick drinks to relax me for the trip to the Moon...
    I don't get this at all. MS is high energy in general, but not high noise. If noise is energy to you, this may not be the band for you. My first 2CD release by them was Blomjud, and 2 tracks Moonwalk and Methuselah's Child are truly sublime. Symphonic, but not laid back symph at all. The lyrics of these 2 songs show an incredible appreciation of the young folks for the best aspects of 60's idealism, the moon landing and communal concepts. Just makes me feel awesome to be part of a country that influenced the world in positive ways.

As for performing before Yes, they may make Yes and Alan White in particular seem slow and non-energetic. The MS drummer would fry White in a drum off. However in MS most recent recordings they have taken a mellowed love song approach. Hope they do play Blomjud? May the flower power be with you.

Quote Originally Posted by Obscured View Post
    I've seen them with openers Porcupine Tree, Kansas, Peter Frampton, Styx, Toto, Syd Arthur, Donovan and I'm sure I'm forgetting a couple more. Moon Safari is a good choice.
    You missed Alan Parson's Project, Dream Theater and Popeye(yes, the cartoon). Also, Gryphon(way back in the seventies).

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    I've been listening to more Moon Safari lately, and now really looking forward to their sets on CTTE, especially one night they play a midnight set on deck. As long as the weather cooperates, that should be great!

While they don't really sound anything like Camel, I somehow get a really mellow, widdly-widdly vibe from them that reminds me of Camel, with the harmony vocals on top. There's just enough free time before their set to grab a couple of quick drinks to relax me for the trip to the Moon...
    Quote Originally Posted by Firth View Post
    I don't get this at all. MS is high energy in general, but not high noise. If noise is energy to you, this may not be the band for you. My first 2CD release by them was Blomjud, and 2 tracks Moonwalk and Methuselah's Child are truly sublime. Symphonic, but not laid back symph at all. The lyrics of these 2 songs show an incredible appreciation of the young folks for the best aspects of 60's idealism, the moon landing and communal concepts. Just makes me feel awesome to be part of a country that influenced the world in positive ways.

As for performing before Yes, they may make Yes and Alan White in particular seem slow and non-energetic. The MS drummer would fry White in a drum off. However in MS most recent recordings they have taken a mellowed love song approach. Hope they do play Blomjud? May the flower power be with you.
    Are you sure you're responding to my post? What you wrote seems totally unrelated.

From the Yes facebook page-

**January 22 at 10:07am

For technical reasons beyond both parties’ control, Moon Safari will not be able to join Yes as opening act on the European tour. The band will, however, remain on the bill for one night only to make a special guest appearance at the Royal Albert Hall in London on May 10, taking the stage at 7.30.**
    "Henry Cow always wanted to push itself, so sometimes we would write music that we couldn't actually play – I found that very encouraging." - Lindsay Cooper, 1998
    "I have nothing to do with Endless River. Phew! This is not rocket science people, get a grip." - Roger Waters, 2014
    "I'm a collector. And I've always just seemed to collect personalities." - David Bowie, 1973

Quote Originally Posted by Obscured View Post
    From the Yes facebook page-

**January 22 at 10:07am

For technical reasons beyond both parties’ control, Moon Safari will not be able to join Yes as opening act on the European tour. The band will, however, remain on the bill for one night only to make a special guest appearance at the Royal Albert Hall in London on May 10, taking the stage at 7.30.**
    At least they'll know how many moon-dudes it takes to fill the Albert Hall. I hope they have a great night!

Banned
    At least they'll know how many moon-dudes it takes to fill the Albert Hall. I hope they have a great night!
    I hope that both bands will use the occasion to produce a DVD or Bluray. Certainly separate products.

Orcopian
    Bad news according to prog magazine website Moon Safari are unable to support Yes on the european tour due to technical reasons, they will however support them at the Albert Hall. I think this is desperately sad news as I had Expected Moon safari to be a huge success on the tour and pick up lots of new fans. I can't imagine what the 'technical' reasons could be unless they haven't found a new drummer yet?

Quote Originally Posted by Orcopian View Post
    I can't imagine what the 'technical' reasons could be
    They realized Petter Sandström's hats and Geoff Downes' jackets would clash.
    Last edited by JKL2000; 01-27-2016 at 06:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Orcopian View Post
    I can't imagine what the 'technical' reasons could be unless they haven't found a new drummer yet?
    They've already announced that Mikael Israelsson, who filled had previously filled in for Tobias Lundgren and who was with them on their recent Cruise to the Edge shows, is their new drummer.

edited: Tobias, not Matthius!
    Last edited by Koreabruce; 01-27-2016 at 08:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Koreabruce View Post
    They've already announced that Mikael Israelsson, who filled had previously filled in for Matthias Lundgren and who was with them on their recent Cruise to the Edge shows, is their new drummer.
    And any who have seen the dearly departed Black Bonzo live know that he's a damn good drummer.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Moon Safari sounded great this past CTTE. Fortunately, they rescheduled their pool-stage performance to the theater - great setting. A shame they can't support Yes for the whole tour. Mikael Israelsson did a great job on the drums, the band certainly did not take a back step there. Likewise - I figured the additional exposure opening for Yes would be a fan-harvest.

Quote Originally Posted by hofmeyer View Post
    Moon Safari sounded great this past CTTE. Fortunately, they rescheduled their pool-stage performance to the theater - great setting. A shame they can't support Yes for the whole tour. Mikael Israelsson did a great job on the drums, the band certainly did not take a back step there. Likewise - I figured the additional exposure opening for Yes would be a fan-harvest.
    I saw part of the theater set and they definitely sounded great. I'd heard that their first set on the ship was a bit dodgy but from what we saw the theater show was excellent. Since we've seen them before, we had to prioritize some other acts over them this year, but would love to see them again.