Thread: New SQUEEZE cd: Cradle To The Grave

New SQUEEZE cd: Cradle To The Grave

i know there are some Squeeze fans here....
    Cradle To The Grave is the first Squeeze CD of new songs since 1998.
    they are also touring, but only as an acoustic duo. (Glenn & Chris only)
    by the way, the songs on this new CD are written and featured on a new TV brit-com of the same name.
    welcome back Squeeze!

Thanks for the heads up, Ben! Sounds really good and I dig the electric sitar solo at the end.

Wow... This one is a surprise. I was a big fan in their heyday but they subsequently fell off my radar. Probably haven't listened to them in 20+ years. Are the other oldtime members on the album?

Cool, I had no clue this was coming.

The series that it accompanies is about the childhood of an English radio presenter and journalist, Danny Baker. This will mean nothing to anyone overseas, but he is a top bloke and a great writer, quite prog friendly. The last episode apparently even featured And You And I during a romantic session, but I haven't seen it yet though. Danny hails from the same part of London as Chris and Glenn too.

got mine today (thanks to Amazon.uk) won't get released here until Nov. 13th.
    typical Squeeze..... captures alot of the 80's style. need more listens.

If you love Squeeze you will love this album, I've been playing it all week, it's just typically strong Difford/Tillbrook song craft, loads of hooks and great tunes, and lyrically in the usual zone. I just picked up a couple of tickets to see them in London tomorrow night, I think it will be great.

Quote Originally Posted by BravadoNJ View Post
    i know there are some Squeeze fans here....
    They are also touring, but only as an acoustic duo. (Glenn & Chris only)
    I saw Squeeze on Saturday night, it was a brilliant homecoming gig, just a few miles from Glenn's place of birth. It was a full band, and so not sure where you heard about the acoustic duo aspect, perhaps that's what is coming to the States, but I would hope not, the whole show is so worth seeing. Support was the punk poet, John Cooper Clark, who probably means little to most of you, but he was great and very funny.

The backing band have been touring with Glenn before, and are also on the new album. They played everything you would expect, plus a lot from Cradle To Grave, and a couple of covers, and mixed it up well, throwing in different instrumentation and arrangements on some classics. Interestingly they were selling double live CD's of the show, just ten minutes after coming off stage, which was novel. I've seen bands do shows to MP3 stick, or download, but a physical CD, that was new. I picked one up for the memory and it's pretty good.

If you get a chance to see them when they hit the States in a few weeks, grab it.

They played that one on Saturday and it's a bonus track on the Amazon auto-rip download of the new album (but not on my CD copy), along with a Tom Waits cover (I Don't Wanna Grow Up) and a Lou Reed Transformer cover (Hangin' 'Round).

Sample track sounds pretty nice, hope the whole disc is more power pop than soul.

I love Squeeze! I am seeing the acoustic duo here in Southern New Jersey, USA during December 2015. When the new album was announced, there was information online about a deluxe version with bonus tracks. However, I can not find such a version online now. Does anyone know anything about that?

Library Jon

Another Question. I see that Glen Tilbrook has quite a few solo albums. Can anyone recommend which are worthwhile or which are "just okay?"

Library Jon

btw... Cradle To The Grave is released today here in the USA.
    you'll be able to hear samples on Amazon & itunes.

Quote Originally Posted by Library Jon View Post
    I love Squeeze! I am seeing the acoustic duo here in Southern New Jersey, USA during December 2015. When the new album was announced, there was information online about a deluxe version with bonus tracks. However, I can not find such a version online now. Does anyone know anything about that?

Library Jon
    I bought my copy from Amazon, it came as a standard CD, but the auto rip download included 4 bonus tracks cover versions Hangin' Around (Lou Reed), Harper Vally PTA (Jeannie C Riley), This Strange Effect (The Kinks) and I Don't Wanna Grow Up (Tom Waits). Not essential by any means, but nice to have. They payed paper Valley and I Don't Wanna Grow Up in the set I saw.