Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Bruford - One Of A Kind

I cannot express in words how much of an influence this and FGTM had on me and my music. Just simply superb music in every way. I too was lucky to see this band live, but yes, Alan had already left, John Clarke " The unknown " was great. I was not disappointed.

Quote Originally Posted by 80s were ok View Post
    This is a great album. DOes this have that song "Walking on Broken Glass?". Man, that song rocks. YOU'RE WALKING ON BROKEN GLLLAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAS!!
    The song you're thinking of is "Gothic 17" from Bill Bruford's next album, "Gradually Going Tornado".

I like all the albums from this period of Bruf/Holds releases.

I like it, but I always loved FGtM way more. One reason for that, I suppose, was that I initially got into much of the OoaK material through the live album (The Bruford Tapes), where everything's essentially much rawer and faster. I never listened enough to GGT, which I regret - I even enjoyed the little I heard of Berlin's admittedly not very distinct or trained voice.

People into the Bruford/Stewart collab on these albums who still haven't heard the Missing Pieces comp by National Health, owe it to themselves to do so. Before the death of the whole CD phenomenon, I mean.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Damn I love this album. This one and the Rock Goes to College live thing are easily my Broof favorites. One of a Kind is pretty much in permanent rotation, chez ItalProgRules.
    High Vibration Go On - R.I.P. Chris Squire

Quote Originally Posted by Dean Watson View Post
    I cannot express in words how much of an influence this and FGTM had on me and my music.
    Ditto! And perhaps that's why we're fond of each other's albums, Dean!

Quote Originally Posted by Yellow Jester View Post
    The song you're thinking of is "Gothic 17" from Bill Bruford's next album, "Gradually Going Tornado".
    ... which is a great tune, regardless of Berlin's vocals (which never bothered me, though I'm not exactly wild about them). The cello is a real nice touch!

Quote Originally Posted by No Pride View Post
    Ditto! And perhaps that's why we're fond of each other's albums, Dean!
    Yep.

The beauty of these CDs is the absolute 50/50 mix of progressive rock and Fusion - they're not YES CDs, but they're not Return To Forever CDs either - I love that mix. That 'mix' is my favorite genre, if you can even call it one ...

Quote Originally Posted by Dean Watson View Post
    Yep.

The beauty of these CDs is the absolute 50/50 mix of progressive rock and Fusion - they're not YES CDs, but they're not Return To Forever CDs either - I love that mix. That 'mix' is my favorite genre, if you can even call it one ...
    I'm a fan of the Prog/Fusion mix with the emphasis on the Prog side of the equation myself, but it's very hard to find much in that sub-sub category that I like.

The debut Utopia album. EMBRYO's Rocksession and Steig Aus, Atoll's L'araignee-mal and a few others, but it's a tough mix to find. Any recommendations?

Quote Originally Posted by nosebone View Post
    My favorite fusion album with a perfect lineup of jazzy prog guys.

Besides the great writing and playing, I love the sound of this record and was disappointed with the digital transfer to CD when it came out.

Doesn't matter anymore , I got used to it.

And Ernie's right, this was a real BAND in action.

I dunno why Holdsy skipped the tour, because this was right after he & Broof joined UK.
    Well actually, it was after Bruf and Holdsy got fired from UK, they gigged together in the Bruford band for a brief period and Holdsy decided to strike out on his own as a bandleader. A buddy of mine was in Britain on vacation at that time and got to see Holdsworth's last live gig with the Bruford band.
    Never play slap bass around bears, you'll make them VERY angry.

Quote Originally Posted by ItalProgRules View Post
    I'm a fan of the Prog/Fusion mix with the emphasis on the Prog side of the equation myself, but it's very hard to find much in that sub-sub category that I like.

The debut Utopia album. EMBRYO's Rocksession and Steig Aus, Atoll's L'araignee-mal and a few others, but it's a tough mix to find. Any recommendations?
    Kenso - Yume No Oka, Utsuroi Yuku Mono
    Lyle Workman - Purple Passages, Harmonic Crusader
    Dean Watson - Imposing Elements
    Helmet of Gnats - High Street

Many thanks. I do have the Kenso, will check out the others

Thanks Ernie! That's good company!

I'm not particularly a "fusion" (as opposed to "jazz-rock") guy, but I dig this and Feels Good To Me. As with rock in general, the Brits have a different "take" on the music that appeals......
    Hell, they ain't even old-timey ! - Homer Stokes

I might actually put this up in my top 50 Prog albums of all time it's that good

Bruford, like Return To Forever struck that perfect balance between Symphonic Rock and Jazz Rock
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Thanks Ernest!

Since we're waxing each other , I'd like to add:

Bad Dog U - s/t
    Jean Luc Ponty - Enigmatic Ocean, Imaginary Voyage
    Brand X - Masques
    Dixie Dregs - What If , Dregs Of The Earth

These are symphonic prog-fusion classics....imho
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

And thanks also to you, nosebone! I have the Brand X and Dixie Dregs, but am putting the others on my to-check-out list!

Quote Originally Posted by Lebofsky View Post
    Totally agree - also one of my favorite albums he is on. The closest I came to catching the era of Bruford live was seeing David Torn/Cloud About Mercury in Binghamton, NY circa 1985 (with Mick Karn and a trumpet player who was great and name I forget - not Mark Isham).
    - Matt
    Two words...Holy. Shit.

I think of Bad Dog U ( aka No Pride, aka Ernie ) as slightly more fusion oriented - much like the incredibly awesome Canadian band UZEB - and trust me, THAT's good company to be compared to! Great stuff all around!

I bough that album in 79 or 80 and I was expecting something like 'Feel good to me'. But it was much more prog. What a good suprise it was. I'm not a big fan of Holdsworth (I saw him live in a small bar, he was so boring) but he sounds good on 'One of a Kind'. Great album.
    “One good thing about music, when it hits you, you feel no pain.”

Fainting In Coils and Forever Until Sunday are fave tunes on this Bruford. Good album! I don't think it's his best though, I like B.L.U.E. a bit better.

Quote Originally Posted by gpeccary View Post
    Two words...Holy. Shit.
    ..because of the lineup? ...or because you were at that show, too, perhaps?

What's funny was that was my first time really seeing a show of that nature. I was a young teen visiting my older brother in college. The show was in a 200 person auditorium (if that big). Comfy chairs, quiet, great mix, clean sound. Not a bad seat in the house. So I figured ALL music rock/whatever shows were gonna be like that. I've been disappointed by every show ever since...

- Matt

i just played this like yesterday and will always be amazed at the group playing and all. wonderful stuff , berlin's bass was busy (hard to believe) and he was doing lots of little bass fills arpeggios etal abut they all seem to fit the flow of the tune he was doing. if anything i think at times allan's guitar is under utilized here.

Quote Originally Posted by yogibear View Post
    i just played this like yesterday and will always be amazed at the group playing and all. wonderful stuff , berlin's bass was busy (hard to believe) and he was doing lots of little bass fills arpeggios etal abut they all seem to fit the flow of the tune he was doing. if anything i think at times allan's guitar is under utilized here.

He could be up a couple db's in the mix.
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

Love it, absolutely the perfect marriage of fusion and prog, proving to those of us that love this record, that when it works, it doesn't get any better, a timeless classic to my ears, now hopefully, Ernie(No Pride/Bad Dog U), Chris(Nosebone/Helmet of Gnats), Trurl, and Dean Watson are getting some more inspiration to keep this niche genre alive.