Thread: Landmarq - Roadskill (live)

Landmarq - Roadskill (live)

Landmarq is a neo band that has flown under many people's radar over the years -- mine included. Which is a shame because their new live set Roadskill (supporting 2012's Entertaining Angels) has really made a believer out of me. Tracy Hitchings has bounced back from dealing with ovarian and breast cancer () and simply kicks ass all over the place here. Mike Varty is his usual keys wizard with some prog-gasmic solos and features throughout. The rest of the band are excellent, the mix is sublime, and the camera work and editing on the DVD are top-notch.

But what really makes this work for me is the songwriting and arranging. Either I didn't realize these guys were that good -- or they've gotten that much better. Anyways, fans of Shadowland, IQ, Pendragon, etc really need to check these guys out ASAP.
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

Totally agree. I have loved them since Solitary Witness.

I've always liked Tracy. her work with Clive Nolan's Strangers On A Train is good and I really enjoyed her solo album From Ignorance To Ecstasy. I've never listened to any Quasar though. I thought Landmarq was pretty good with Damian Wilson too.

thanx for the heads up. I didn't know they were releasing anything. correct me if I'm wrong but I think the Turbulence – Live In Poland DVD was filmed before Tracy had to take a break and it's pretty darn good as well (if you haven't seen it already).

Landmarq - Thunderstruck

i.ain't.dead.irock

West of Worcester (Western Massachusetts)
    I have really only heard the Damian Wilson stuff, but i know Tracy from the Wakeman/Nolan opuses (opii?) and like her voice. Sounds like I should check this out as I'm an unabashed neo fan (yup, have all the Shadowland discs, an admittedly guilty pleasure)

Count me as a big fan of this band. I loved their performance at ProgDay back in 2000, and have all of their albums other than this one. I need to pick it up.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    Count me as a big fan of this band. I loved their performance at ProgDay back in 2000, and have all of their albums other than this one. I need to pick it up.
    I wasn't a fan then, and aren't now, but I really enjoyed them at Progday. Great set.

I've only two Landmarq albums - Entertaining Angels (special edition) and Science of Coincidence - both with Tracy Hitchings as lead vocalist. I find both to be very enjoyable - wouldn't mind seeing them live if the chance came.

They flew under my radar too until someone posted about them on a thread last year about female prog singers. I checked them out and have been digging them ever since. Didn't know that Tracy Hitchings had two bouts with cancer. Sounds like she's back as good as ever though.

Quote Originally Posted by proggosaurus View Post
    I've always liked Tracy. her work with Clive Nolan's Strangers On A Train is good and I really enjoyed her solo album From Ignorance To Ecstasy. I've never listened to any Quasar though. I thought Landmarq was pretty good with Damian Wilson too.

Landmarq - Thunderstruck

I have her solo-album as well and the music is good, but the cover is terrible.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Always loved the song Summer Lightning.

Been listening to them for over 15 years. Tracy is awesome. The new live CD set another bar for the band. Some really high energy stuff. Pissed that I missed them at Progday. To my knowledge it's the only trip across the pond. I don't recall any other time they were here.
    JG

"MARKLAR!"

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Giant View Post
    Been listening to them for over 15 years. Tracy is awesome. The new live CD set another bar for the band. Some really high energy stuff. Pissed that I missed them at Progday. To my knowledge it's the only trip across the pond. I don't recall any other time they were here.
    Yes, I believe ProgDay was their only US appearance. Kind of surprised ROSfest has never nabbed them. They would be a perfect fit for that festival.

Quote Originally Posted by Rarebird View Post
    I have her solo-album as well and the music is good, but the cover is terrible.
    the original isn't nearly as bad as the re-issue but neither one was a work of art
    i.ain't.dead.irock

Quote Originally Posted by proggosaurus View Post
    the original isn't nearly as bad as the re-issue but neither one was a work of art
    I have the original on SI, thanks to some shop which had several albums on this label, a long time after it's demise.