Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Musical Acts You Respect But Don't Like

Musical Acts You Respect But Don't Like

Stole this notion from the Hoffman forum. This isn't intended to be a hate thread but just interested to see which musicians you're not a fan of but you like their approach, commitment, length of career, etc. For example, I have tried and tried to get into Zappa but certain things just put me off. Still, I respect his integrity, not to mention the depth and breath of his vision.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Prince, post-Purple Rain (I like his '80s albums up until that one).

If you don't respect both VdGG & Hamill's solo work for their trailblazing and place in the progressive pantheon, I think you're missing something.

That said, none of the music appeals to me at all and never has. Been through the "am I missing something?" attempts to revisit for years. Not any more.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

The Who - Greatly respect them, and i really do like a some of their stuff, but I cant stand most of their body of work and i think their musicianship is overrated
    The Rolling Stones - ditto...they have four albums I really like (five including Aftermath), the rest is all "meh"
    Nine Inch Nails - Liked "Pretty Hate Machine" and "The Downward Spiral", dont care for most everything else. I do respect Mr Reznor
    Smashing Pumpkins - Dont like anything by them except the song "1979". I have a good deal of respect for Billy Corgan
    The White Stripes - Really dont like anything by them, including the hits. I do have some respect for Jack White's talents
    Prince - agree with post #2

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    Bob Dylan. I certainly understand his importance and influence in the history of modern music but am just fine with leaving it at that. I probably like/love several acts directly connected to or influenced by the man but get no joy out of hearing him perform. I do not, however, have any respect for his Christmas album.

Jimi Hendrix. Yes, he was a pioneer but I find his music all but unlistenable.
    "Arf." -- Frank Zappa, "Beauty Knows No Pain" (live version)

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    I have tried and tried to get into Zappa but certain things just put me off.
    I can't find anything to like with his catalog.

Quote Originally Posted by klothos View Post
    The Who
    The Rolling Stones
    I'm fine with a "Greatest Hits" from both. Even then, I don't recall the last time I reached for their tracks in my archives.

Quote Originally Posted by 3LockBox View Post
    Bob Dylan
    I own Infidels and that's about all I need or can tolerate. Saw Dylan perform with Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers in 1985. Tom stole the show, for me.

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasKDye View Post
    Jimi Hendrix. Yes, he was a pioneer but I find his music all but unlistenable.
    Ditto!

I'll add the Foo Fighters. I like a few songs from the 90s, but for the most part I just don't like their output. I have seen them live, and they put on a good rock show.

I should list The Beatles, but I don't dislike them, I just don't ever have the desire to hear their music all too much anymore. If they come on the radio, I switch to another station.

I agree with posts 1-5, disagree with #6. In fact there are a lot of well-respected rock bands from the '70s, '80s and '90s who were good at what they did, but just seemed to me to be playing what everyone else played. I can't help thinking of this as "lazy music."
    Last edited by rcarlberg; 10-09-2015 at 01:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post
    If you don't respect both VdGG & Hamill's solo work for their trailblazing and place in the progressive pantheon, I think you're missing something. That said, none of the music appeals to me at all and never has. Been through the "am I missing something?" attempts to revisit for years. Not any more.
    This could have been written by me. I have a deep respect for P. Hamill & Co., but I just cannot get into their music, and more to the point, those vocals drive me away every time. And I've really, really tried to like them!

Ditto the comments on Zappa and Bob Dylan. They'll get tons of respect from me, but I'm not even slightly compelled to listen to their music.

Suspended
    The list of acts that I respect without particularly liking is probably larger than the list of acts that I like, or at least like enough to buy their music.

Almost all jazz falls into this category, as does nearly everything that could be called "blues".

I agree with many of the nominations above, epsecially bob Dylan. On the other hand I'm not sure I have a lot of respect for the Stones. Their early stuff was quite good and in a certain sense ground-breaking, but they have been resting on their laurels for so long now that those laurels must be squashed wafer-thin.

Leonard Cohen, Joni Mitchell, Neil Young, Bob Dylan, Dave Matthews... all artists I respect, but whose music I do not care for, by and large.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Nick Cave.

Yes, and Dylan as well. Janis Joplin, Emmylou Harris, Jackson Browne, Mark Knopfler (et al.), Roy Orbison, Graham Parker, Randy Newman. In jazz; Gillespie, Cecil Taylor and a few others.

Dick van Dyke too.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Adrian Belew–era Crimson. I have the records, but one listen each was enough.
    Most whiny singer-songwriters like James Taylor, Janis Ian, and Phil Ochs. I respect their song-writing ability and their approach to their subjects, but please don't make me listen to it. On the other hand, I adore Tom Rapp.
    Most fusion bands like Mahavishnu, Return to Forever, Weather Report. The musicianship is without peer, but as my daughter has said about them, "You know how a song has a beginning, a middle, and an end? Well, these bands only play the middle."
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.

Most of your favorite bands, just not my favorites.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

I don't think I've ever felt respect for someone, some people or something(s) I don't like.

So many....

Deep Purple
    King Crimson (I can still stay here, right?)
    Grateful Dead
    Metallica (don't like most of their output, but I can't deny their influence, etc. on those early albums)
    Most of the avant/RIO stuff that many folks here like - I'm sure their musicianship and integrity is off the charts, but the music just isn't for me.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    I don't think I've ever felt respect for someone, some people or something(s) I don't like.
    Explains a lot, actually.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    Explains a lot, actually.
    We are the grandchildren of apes, not angels
    But only we are gifted with the eyes to see
    On days without FEAR, when our heads are clear
    That angels, we could be
    (Marillion 2016)

Pendulumswingingdoomsday Rune Blackwings's Avatar
    can we do the bands I respect and like? it's much easier. trust me
    "Alienated-so alien I go!"

Rush: I actually have a great deal of respect for them, especially after seeing Beyond the Lighted Stage. I just don't like their music... and I really spent some time trying to.

Agree about Prince.
    Rolling Stones; I don't respect them, though I liked their music well enough in the '60s. They're just the world's luckiest garage band.
    VdGG, tried to like them and failed.
    Porcupine Tree and Transatlantic: fine bands, just don't really like the music.
    Foo Fighters: Thanks for keeping rock alive, but... meh.
    Ornette Coleman: an innovator and good composer, just never liked his playing.
    "Free" jazz in general: I like "outside" playing, but only when it's mixed with "inside" playing. No chords, no time, no No Pride.

'Nuff for now.
    Last edited by No Pride; 10-09-2015 at 09:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rune Blackwings View Post
    can we do the bands I respect and like? it's much easier. trust me
    If you get with PeterG, I'm sure you can come up with a wallop of a thread, I bet!

Stay tuned for the sequel to this thread, "PE Members I Respect But Don't Like".
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

For me it's Radiohead and Flaming Lips, I've tried to like the music, but can't get there, none the less I respect what they do and think there were/are good artists

Yeah, Radiohead. It just doesn't resonate with me.

Velvet Underground (though I like a lot of Lou Reed's solo stuff).

Eric Clapton - I just don't like his guitar tone or his voice.

B.B. King. I get it but I don't particularly want it.
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.