Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Musical Acts You Respect But Don't Like

Quote Originally Posted by No Pride View Post
    Rush: I actually have a great deal of respect for them, especially after seeing Beyond the Lighted Stage. I just don't like their music... and I really spent some time trying to.

Agree about Prince.
    Rolling Stones; I don't respect them, though I liked their music well enough in the '60s. They're just the world's luckiest garage band.
    VdGG, tried to like them and failed.
    Porcupine Tree and Transatlantic: fine bands, just don't really like the music.
    Foo Fighters: Thanks for keeping rock alive, but... meh.
    Ornette Coleman: an innovator and good composer, just never liked his playing.
    "Free" jazz in general: I like "outside" playing, but only when it's mixed with "inside" playing. No chords, no time, no No Pride.

'Nuff for now.
    Funny you said that Ernie, I accidentally left some Ornette Coleman on at my desk and my room mates at work when I came back had a face of sheer horror. One of my co-workers said he waiting for a parade of monkeys and the circus to come into our room!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Be a loyal plastic robot for a world that doesn't care... Frank Zappa

Jeez... Emerson, Lake & Palmer is my least favorite of the fabled "Big Six" (Yes, Pink Floyd, Jethro Tull, King Crimson and Genesis).

The Clash. So tired of them.

Jay-Z. One of the hottest acts in Hip-Hop today. Never liked him.

U2

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Be a loyal plastic robot for a world that doesn't care... Frank Zappa

Bob Marley - I get his integrity, despise his genre

Richard Thompson - loved the albums with Linda and a few later songs yet by and large I think he's stunningly worthy but deadly dull

Does it matter that this waste of time is what makes a life for you?

Quote Originally Posted by 3LockBox View Post
    Ted Nugent is an act whose older output I still like, but zilch respect for him.
    I wouldn't piss on Ted if he was on fire. If you have to kill a lion (or any animal) to make you think you're a man, you automatically have no connection to life or humanity.

Animals weren't put here so you could kill them and feel superior, Ted.

As far as rock stars go, there's 'don't respect', or 'don't like', but Ted is a malignant force on the planet. I really "don't like" him.

There are a lot of bands I can think of, but for prog, my two biggies are probably Vandergraf Generator and Gentle Giant. I totally respect them and understand why they are considered two of the all-time greats, but I have always had a hard time getting into them. I have tried several albums by both, but not much has clicked. I have absolutely no idea why as I like other bands who do similar things. Music is funny that way I guess……

Several people have mentioned Clapton and I am in the same boat. Although I totally respect him for all he has done, I have always had a hard time getting into his stuff other than the occasional track here and there. I am even a big blues / blues rock fan, but to this day I do not own a Clapton album.

Suspended
    Alice Cooper.

To be honest, I prefer him as a DJ to as a musician.

Steely Dan
    Hell, they ain't even old-timey ! - Homer Stokes

Quote Originally Posted by bob_32_116 View Post
    I prefer him as a DJ to as a musician.
    I'd say the same of Tom Petty.
    Hell, they ain't even old-timey ! - Homer Stokes

Quote Originally Posted by mogrooves View Post
    Steely Dan
    I was that way about Steely Dan for years, and then all of a sudden something clicked and I "got it". Now I enjoy a lot of what they did, but it took a long time.

Quote Originally Posted by Oreb View Post
    Bob Marley - I get his integrity, despise his genre

Richard Thompson
    I'd have to agree on both. And with Marley/reggae it's even a bit dubious position to take, seeing how some will immediately tend to "interpret" it in awkward directions - by which I'll say "hey, I'm a fan of 70s Nigerian rock, Coltrane, Arthur Lee and Isaac Hayes, what more do you want from me?"

With Thompson, it's all about me not "getting" what puts his songwriting on. He's a mofo axeman, but his songs just don't grab me. He did great tunes with FC, but I could never get into his solo material.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

The 'interpretation' always crops up when you say you don't like disco and rap as well, never mind what other music you like. (Although I do like 70s reggae/Bob Marley quite a lot!) Usually this faux-outrage is on the behalf of the terminally offended rather than the racial groups themselves, however. Make of that what you will.
    Last edited by JJ88; 03-13-2016 at 05:24 PM.

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    Similarly I find little virtue in Fairport Convention without Sandy Denny, there were no other singers in that band IMHO.
    It's a shame that after Sandy Denny's demise the band could not have drafted Judy Dyble back into the fold. Unfortunately it appears that at that time Judy had completely dropped out of the music business and did not return to it until much later.

VDGG
    Janis Joplin
    Albert Ayler
    "please do not understand me too quickly"-andre gide

[QUOTE=JJ88;468057 The 'interpretation' always crops up when you say you don't like disco and rap as well, never mind what other music you like. (Although I do like 70s reggae/Bob Marley quite a lot!) Usually this faux-outrage is on the behalf of the terminally offended rather than the racial groups themselves, however. Make of that what you will.[/QUOTE]

"Terminally offended". I like that

If I were a black musician I'm not sure I'd take pleasure in the fandom of people who liked me for my colour any more than I'd lose sleep over the freaks who disliked me for the same reason.

Does it matter that this waste of time is what makes a life for you?

Quote Originally Posted by mogrooves View Post
    Steely Dan
    I've seen Steely Dan in concert twice in the 70's and didn't care for them at all. The first time I left my seat and walked around the venue. The second time they were the opening act and I purposely got to the show late so I didn't have to listen to them. Then when I was auditioning speakers in late 90's I believe, the HiFi shop was showing the DVD of "Two Against Nature" and all of a sudden I was like "this is Steely Dan?"

Well, generally if I don't like someone artistically I don't really respect them either, If I respect them I like them on some level, even if I don't really want to hear their music all the time. The exceptions tend to be genres I don't really like at all- say, country. Obviously I respect Johnny Cash greatly but I wouldn't say I like his music. Same with Willie Nelson.

King Crimson, I like the first album but after that...
    I've tried liking them but to no avail.

Also, Marillion post Fish, don't like Hogarth's voice I'm afraid.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve983 View Post
    King Crimson, I like the first album but after that...
    I've tried liking them but to no avail.

Also, Marillion post Fish, don't like Hogarth's voice I'm afraid.
    Funny, yesterday I surmised that Court is my least favorite KC album.

Quote Originally Posted by zombywoof View Post
    Funny, yesterday I surmised that Court is my least favorite KC album.
    Oh, but what era Marillion do you like?
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Velvet Underground, Bob Dylan, Sonic Youth, Ramones, Swans... anyone see the trend?
    "Always ready with the ray of sunshine"

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    Oh, but what era Marillion do you like?
    Good question - I like exactly one half of Clutching at Straws and that's where my Marillion fan-ism begins and ends.

Jazz concerts in general
    "Beethoven can write music, thank God, but he can do nothing else on earth. ". Ludwig van Beethoven

Suspended
    "Big band" swing music

Nirvana
    Bob Dylan
    Radiohead
    The Sex Pistols
    David Bowie
    Roxy Music (my wife LOVES this band, I just can't get away with Bryan Ferry's mannerisms and voice)
    Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers
    James Taylor
    The Stranglers
    The Velvet Underground/Lou Reed
    Johnny Cash (thanks whoever mentioned his name above - good call!)
    Wire
    New Order/Joy Division
    The Human League
    Tangerine Dream

- Led Zeppelin
    - The Rolling Stones
    - Gentle Giant
    - Van Der Graaf Generator

There are also musicians, who are fine with their bands(s), but who should not be allowed to make solo albums.
    Member since Wednesday 09.09.09