Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: RUSH R40 DVD Preview

On Amazon UK there is only a CD+Blu Ray set available, I hope there's going to be a DVD or Blu Ray only version too.

Quote Originally Posted by BravadoNJ View Post
    there are obviously many songs that Geddy just can't sing anymore. the above CTTH performance is one of them.
    they shouldn't do these songs, it just brings down a performance.

a new album in 2016 would be nice. but i bet they won't even get together and plan anything until after the holidays.
    This was likely Rush's last tour sadly.

chalkpie
    Poking fun at the Steinberger eh? You bastards!!

I still have one and absolutely adore the tone to this day - it has such a unique growl and is unlike any bass I have ever heard. Also, the amount of tones you can get out of that thing is astonishing. Its really terrific for jazz believe it or not - of course no substitute for an upright - but you can get a nice full round tone and roll off/on any frequencies you can think off. Also, the fucker holds its tuning like no other.

As for the DVD, I watched "Jacobs Ladder" and was pretty blown away! Wow. The mix is SO clear - every instrument is just crystalline. What a tune - the vocal melody/chords in the dreamy section "All at once, the clouds have parted...".......such a beautiful melody! Classic stuff. One of the best tunes they ever did IMO.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve983 View Post
    This was likely Rush's last tour sadly.
    I actually doubt it's the last. They might wait longer this time, but Neil talks so much in his books about how there's a whole family of people (crew, etc.) who rely on those tours for their living not to mention them and supporting their lifestyles. Eventually it will be time to crank up the machine again. Not that I'm complaining.

WTF? Just hours after ordering the BR, I see on Amazon there is or was a Best-Buy exclusive 3CD/Blu-Ray box set, that comes with a Star Man flashlight (Gee-willikers! Does it decode secret messages too?)! It's available on Amazon from a third party seller at a sort of high price ($60). Since it doesn't SEEM to be on Best Buy now, I ordered through Amazon. Hard to tell if BB has it or not - their listings for R40 are confusing. But I needed this box.

Loved this!

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    WTF? Just hours after ordering the BR, I see on Amazon there is or was a Best-Buy exclusive 3CD/Blu-Ray box set, that comes with a Star Man flashlight (Gee-willikers! Does it decode secret messages too?)! It's available on Amazon from a third party seller at a sort of high price ($60). Since it doesn't SEEM to be on Best Buy now, I ordered through Amazon. Hard to tell if BB has it or not - their listings for R40 are confusing. But I needed this box.
    Best Buy version has the Flashlight. Both Blu-Ray and DVD. Not sure if you can get this one by ordering online, I actually went to a store and got it.

Be glad it's not a fleshlight.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

A Starman fleshlight.....

I'm sure there's a market for it.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by jc90125 View Post
    Best Buy version has the Flashlight. Both Blu-Ray and DVD. Not sure if you can get this one by ordering online, I actually went to a store and got it.
    Thanks - I actually just found it on the Best Buy site, and am having a copy shipped. I'll return the one from the Amazon third party seller, as it's like $30 more! It's my fault really - I was looking for on Best Buy's site this morning on my iPhone, and that made the listings much harder to interpret somehow. I shouldn't have jumped the gun, I could have just walked over to my PC...

I made a visit to Best Buy yesterday afternoon and bought the 3 CD/ Blu ray version of the new live Rush set with the flashlight. I hope to listen to it soon. However, it might take me a while since it is a three hour concert. Looking forward to it!

Library Jon

The "Jacob's Ladder" clip was the best R40 sample I've seen, since there was very little high-register crooning from Geddy.

Quote Originally Posted by Library Jon View Post
    I made a visit to Best Buy yesterday afternoon and bought the 3 CD/ Blu ray version of the new live Rush set with the flashlight. I hope to listen to it soon. However, it might take me a while since it is a three hour concert. Looking forward to it!

Library Jon
    How's the quality of the packaging?

Man, this is such a cool thing. If Rush truly is done, then this looks like they exited, (the) stage right.

How's the quality of the packaging?
    Answering my own question, it's unfortunatel a fairly typical, sort of flimsy 3CD/1BR set stuck in a flimsy box. I was hoping for a high-quality boxed set. But on the plus side the Star Man flashlight is pretty cool now that I see what it does - projects the 2112 star man! Oh well, I guess I'm just glad they came out with a 3CD/1BR set after all.

Watched some of this last night and it's as good as expected. Was this tour considered to be in support of the FIRST R40 release? That would explain the solar title and the use of the first R40 release art in this Blu-Ray.

Also, anyone know if it was all filmed in Toronto (is it Toronto Geddy mentions)? There's a shot in the booklet that I think is MSG, but I guess just a random shot.

I'm sure Rushisaband covered this question, so a pointer to their coverage is fine.

Yes, they shot 2 nights in Toronto for the DVD. I believe some of the audio CD tracks were recorded elsewhere since they were rotating 3 set lists from night to night.

Watched some of this last night and it's as good as expected. Was this tour considered to be in support of the FIRST R40 release? That would explain the solar title and the use of the first R40 release art in this Blu-Ray.

Also, anyone know if it was all filmed in Toronto (is it Toronto Geddy mentions)? There's a shot in the booklet that I think is MSG, but I guess just a random shot.

I'm sure Rushisaband covered this question, so a pointer to their coverage is fine.
    There was no plan to tour in support of the R40 box as it was primarily a reissue of older material. R40 live happened when they decided at the 11th hour to tour in 2015.

I'd say it was lack of a plan rather than poor planning that there are two R40s

Quote Originally Posted by Library Jon View Post

Library Jon
    I went there after Christmas and got one of these.Haven't taken the flashlight out of the bag yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Rand Kelly View Post
    I went there after Christmas and got one of these.Haven't taken the flashlight out of the bag yet.
    The flashlight is surprisingly cool. But it's just a waste of time!

The flashlight is surprisingly cool. But it's just a waste of time!
    It's also backwards, but that doesn't stop me from wanting to get one at some point.