Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: RUSH R40 DVD Preview

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    I got the bumps as soon as I saw the double-necks
    No fucking shit !!!!! That was great....and yes, seeing Neil use the real tubular bells was smile-inducing.

Ordered. cd 2 set list is incredible!

CD 1? Completely yuck until 9-11

CD 3 ? 5, 6, 9 and 10 redeem it.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by zombywoof View Post
    Hands up if you got goosebumps when they played "Xanadu".

Don't lie.
    Pretty sure I'd seen them do Xanadu before, but still enjoyed the hell out of the show. As did my son, which made me enjoy it even more.

Saw them play "Xanadu" my first time ever seeing them. Or a lot of it, anyway.

And here is that exact performance... I am out in that crowd somewhere as a fresh-faced seventeen-year-old. I may not be old enough to have seen them in the 70s, but I'm old enough to have seen Rush at the Gardens. This was still in the days of lining up for tickets.

Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Roll the Bones video from the DVD (official)

"Why is it when these great Prog guys get together, they always want to make a Journey album?"
    - fiberman, 7/5/2015

I have seen this band since 1976 & probably 40 or so shows. Gotta say that this tour was the best since Signals IMO, with Jacobs being the shining star of the show.

^^^one of the best versions of RTB........ except the rap video, i prefer the singing skeleton.

My favorite concert moment of all-time was watching Rush play Xanadu on the Moving Pictures tour at Madison Square Garden. Wow! Changed my life. Learned how to play Xanadu on guitar the next day. I recently purchased a white Gibson doubleneck and of course, play Xanadu (as well as AYAI and Stairway). Love DOUBLEBECK GUITARS!

I wonder if they'll have a special bonus if you buy the DVD at Best Buy, as they've done for the past few DVDs.
    You say Mega Ultra Deluxe Special Limited Edition Extended Autographed 5-LP, 3-CD, 4-DVD, 2-BlueRay, 4-Cassette, five 8-Track, MP4 Download plus Demos, Outtakes, Booklet, T-Shirt and Guitar Pick Gold-Leafed Box Set Version like it's a bad thing...

Well this may be off topic but I have to say I just finished watching Toronto Blue Jays win over the Texas Rangers and it had to be one of the most exciting baseball games I ever watched. I hope Geddy, you were in your season seat behind home plate watching history!

DAVE

Quote Originally Posted by borntotravel View Post
    Well this may be off topic but I have to say I just finished watching Toronto Blue Jays win over the Texas Rangers and it had to be one of the most exciting baseball games I ever watched. I hope Geddy, you were in your season seat behind home plate watching history!

DAVE
    He was. Keeping score as usual

after seeing that video of Jacob's Ladder........ PRE-ORDERED!

I guess I'll pony up the ready for the Blu-Ray version. Last show I saw was Vapor Trails (or was it R30? Curse my feeble mind! It was R30. That's when it began a monsoon rainstorm and EVERYBODY got wet and the air-drummer dickhead beside me hit this guy's girlfriend in the head and the fight broke out but, I digress) but this one with the retro theme has me intrigued. Back in The Day (70s and 80s) I would not miss a show but after dealing with the audiences during the late 90's, it became too much for me. And those fans at the show can sing along with every song and do that beyond annoying air-drumming BS (ya ever been next to one of these assholes?) all they want and have a ball doing it and that's cool with me, I'll catch the DVD. Now I recall none of my friends wanted to go to the latest shows either.

This could make a nice gift for the upcoming Silly Season. I will await for all of your reviews.
    Last edited by Mr. Toad; 10-17-2015 at 01:56 PM.

The wife is out of the house and because Kid Running Fox posted on one the songs on his Facebook page, I got out Clockwork Motherfucking Angels and cranked it up past wife-approved-volume. Ye gods, this album kicks ass. Headlong Flight is such a goddamn beast of a song.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

^^^Thoughts????

i could do without Closer to the Heart. It is one of those songs that cannot be played too far from its original arrangement and style without becoming embarrassing. So, we've heard it before possibly too many times at present. I would have preferred they included a different song.

Can't wait to see the DVD though!
    "Why is it when these great Prog guys get together, they always want to make a Journey album?"
    - fiberman, 7/5/2015

I'm missing the crunchy bass sound I expect on Closer to the Heart, but that's not going to stop me from getting the DVD. Just seeing the different basses Ged uses on each song alone is worth the price!
    You say Mega Ultra Deluxe Special Limited Edition Extended Autographed 5-LP, 3-CD, 4-DVD, 2-BlueRay, 4-Cassette, five 8-Track, MP4 Download plus Demos, Outtakes, Booklet, T-Shirt and Guitar Pick Gold-Leafed Box Set Version like it's a bad thing...

Vocals are rough. And whether it was live, a cell phone YouTube upload, or this DVD preview, I haven't heard that bass sound right for a Rush tune. DVD is on pre-order though!

Quote Originally Posted by gearHed289 View Post
    Vocals are rough. And whether it was live, a cell phone YouTube upload, or this DVD preview, I haven't heard that bass sound right for a Rush tune. DVD is on pre-order though!
    Considering he's breaking out all the basses in his collection, ones that he's never used on albums, it's to be expected that the bass sonics will sound "unfamiliar" on some songs.

Yeah, it was very different in that regard. That Zemantis on Distant Early in particular had a "unique" tone that was way different than the Steinberger on the original.

Notice he didn't break one of those out for nostalgia's sake! LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Garden Dreamer View Post
    Considering he's breaking out all the basses in his collection, ones that he's never used on albums, it's to be expected that the bass sonics will sound "unfamiliar" on some songs.
    That was one of many highlights for me. Loved getting an eyeful of those racks of basses before the show and during intermission in Newark. The whole thing is just a joy.

there are obviously many songs that Geddy just can't sing anymore. the above CTTH performance is one of them.
    they shouldn't do these songs, it just brings down a performance.

a new album in 2016 would be nice. but i bet they won't even get together and plan anything until after the holidays.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    Yeah, it was very different in that regard. That Zemantis on Distant Early in particular had a "unique" tone that was way different than the Steinberger on the original.

Notice he didn't break one of those out for nostalgia's sake! LOL
    Yeah, the Zemaitis is really aggressive sounding! And being the geek that I am, I noticed he's got at least 2. One pictured in the tour book with a pair of soapbar-style pickups, and one I've seen in live clips with a heavily tilted split P bass pickup. And I did not miss the Steinberger.