Page 3 of 27 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Deep Purple & Yes Are 2016 RRHOF Nominees

Quote Originally Posted by miamiscot View Post
    Not just West Coast punk but the whole spectrum of American Hardcore. Bands like Black Flag, Dead Kennedys, Bad Brains, Minor Threat and
    Minutemen really should be considered. Punk changed everything and all we get is The Clash, Ramones and Sex Pistols? Oh yeah, and Green Day.
    That hardcore music is not really my bag, but you're right, punk isn't really much better represented in there than prog or heavy rock.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    Yes, they're in. Not sure why that would anger you.
    I wasn't clear. I love Buddy Holly. My comment was about looking at the list of inductees, seeing who's there and not there, which would anger me.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    ^Wrong about The Spinners. If you're looking them up under The Spinners you'll get nowhere because there was a folk group called that here, in the UK they were 'The Detroit Spinners'. The first hit they had here was 'It's A Shame' whilst they were still associated with Motown. When they went to Atlantic they had a run of hits. I certainly hear 'Could It Be I'm Falling In Love', 'Ghetto Child', 'I'll Be Around', that medley of 'Working My Way Back To You' etc. around here, and Elton John did the song 'Are You Ready For Love' which the 'Spinners had done before him.
    Yes, they are better known in Europe as The Detroit Spinners!

Mod or rocker? Mocker. Frumious B's Avatar
    What people see/hear in Deep Purple remains one of rock's great mysteries to me.

Suspended
    Should have already been in: Chicago, Deep Purple, Yes.

Should be inducted now: NWA, Chic, The Smiths.

Note that this has nothing to do with whom I happen to like. The Smiths bore me shitless, but I have to admit that they were influential, since so many people cite them as influences.

NWA will almost certainly get in, with the success of the Compton movie.

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    But you would apparently include The Cars, who basically only made two albums most people know anything from, and NWA whose relation to 'rock' is very dubious.

Deep Purple had far more obvious impact on rock than either of the above IMHO.

The whole "relation to rock" argument is ridiculous - the HOF has never cared about this, so I don't know why anybody else brings it up. Anyway, NWA were as "rock and roll" as anybody, in terms of attitude. In fact, that's the "A!"

Also, The Cars have three albums that people care about.

Quote Originally Posted by Facelift View Post
    The whole "relation to rock" argument is ridiculous - the HOF has never cared about this, so I don't know why anybody else brings it up. Anyway, NWA were as "rock and roll" as anybody, in terms of attitude. In fact, that's the "A!"

Also, The Cars have three albums that people care about.
    N.W.A. had all of two albums, in total, excluding mixtapes and compilations.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Suspended
    It would be a hoot to have NWA inducted just to hear their acceptance speech! Is the F-word allowed on American television yet?

Quote Originally Posted by bob_32_116 View Post
    Is the F-word allowed on American television yet?
    Fuck no!

What I struggle to understand is the point of the RRHOF. Created by people who seem to think they can determine who is and isn't important in music. Complete waste of time and space IMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by wilsoib View Post
    What I struggle to understand is the point of the RRHOF. Created by people who seem to think they can determine who is and isn't important in music. Complete waste of time and space IMHO.
    Hm. You could replace "[...] RRHOF [...]" in your sentence with just about every kind of poll there ever was as regards popular music. As far as I can see, the general overview of rock/pop with the folks behind the RRHOF does in no way discriminate any more than, say, the alleged overview of "prog" with the folks conducting something called 'Prog Awards'.

Are they important inductions? No - none of them are or will ever be.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    It'll be a HBO special

from Ians phone
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    It'll be a HBO special

from Ians phone
    Wow, Ian must have a pretty hi-tech phone.

Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Interesting list.....for me most of those probably deserve to be in the hall.....based on past inductees.
    Does anyone here know who actually votes on the inductees and how it's decided who gets nominated, etc...? Is this an insider thing or are artists themselves allowed to vote..?

Looks like a fun place to visit & a certainly would (if in area)..
    But as far as the RRHOF & sacred band of my youth (Yes) is concerned,
    Pull out the Groucho card---
    I wouldn't belong to any club that would accept me as a member...

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bob_32_116 View Post
    Wow, Ian must have a pretty hi-tech phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    I'm sitting here giggling to myself, people will think I'm nuts.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    giggling to myself, people will think I'm nuts.
    Wait a minute - aren't you that cigarillo cow in the leather jacket? Or are you trying to tell us that you're a moose or something instead...!?

Oh no.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by Frumious B View Post
    What people see/hear in Deep Purple remains one of rock's great mysteries to me.
    That makes two. I just can't get into them.

I also agree with Facelift that it would be too bad if Yes was inducted. Sadly, Rush caved, but not before Alex Lifeson went down with a fight with his "blah, blah, blah" speech that will be passed down through the ages long after Homer is forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by Frumious B View Post
    I don't see what your personal taste has to do with this. They were a key influence in the heavy rock genre and were hugely successful.

Quote Originally Posted by 2steves View Post
    I mean you can't induct all the riff raff that has been in Yes---it's not fair to
    really deserving artists...other than the 70's--I mean their career as a whole has been very inconsistent.
    But they have been so consistently very inconsistent!

And no, not one member of Yes has been riff raff. (OK, maybe Jon Anderson, but I'd still defend him to be included.)

Quote Originally Posted by yamishogun View Post
    But they have been so consistently very inconsistent!

And no, not one member of Yes has been riff raff. (OK, maybe Jon Anderson, but I'd still defend him to be included.)
    lol well I think so--lot's of mediocre members---maybe that says it --that have not contributed to Yes greatness---it would be so wrong to give every guy in the band an award when there are so many real talented artists that can't get in.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    Fuck no!
    But it sure the fuck was in the late 80s for a channel in Milwaukee, WI! I grew up south of there but could get their Friday night videos. That is when I watched "Repo Man" with all the f-bombs intact. They showed R rated movies but after 11pm. I read a minister wasn't happy so he was able to petition and shut it down. But for a year or two, America actually had free speech in Wisconsin!

Chicago - How are they not in yet?
    Cheap Trick - Honestly, I'm not sure. I like them a lot, but not feeling it for them.
    Deep Purple - see Chicago
    The Cars - not a fan (do love a few of their tunes), not sure....
    Chaka Khan - not rock
    Chic - are they just throwing Nile Rogers a bone. He has been much more influential as a producer than the band ever was. Ummm....no
    JBs - not familiar with their music...can't judge
    Janet Jackson - No
    Los Lobos - No
    Steve Miller - see Chicago & Deep Purple
    NWA - never listened to them, can't judge
    NIN - No
    The Smiths - Borderline
    Spinners - Yes
    Yes - Yes

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Marsh View Post
    Here is the full list:
    Chicago
    Cheap Trick
    Deep Purple
    The Cars
    Chaka Khan
    Chic
    The J.B.'s
    Janet Jackson
    Los Lobos
    Steve Miller
    N.W.A.
    Nine Inch Nails
    The Smiths
    The Spinners
    Yes

For the heck of it, I checked where The Cars were placed. Just above Yes.

Didn't Yes lose the fan vote to KISS in 2013? Then KISS got in and Yes didn't. I seem to recall Yes getting only about 13% of the votes...