Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Hero and Heroine by the Strawbs. Does it still hold up?

I have the US Halcyon and always assumed it was the same remastering as the remasters, but maybe not? Great compilation btw.

Quote Originally Posted by soundsweird View Post
    I have both the original CD of "H & H" and the remastered CD with bonus tracks. The consensus is that most of those Strawbs remasters sounded terrible, especially the later albums that were louder than the early acoustic albums; only good for the bonus tracks. Curiously, the 2-CD compilation "Halcyon Days", which came out about the same time as the remastered albums, sounds fine to my ears. In fact, I have two versions of that album, a U.S. version and a German version, since the track listings are quite different.
    The Japanese mini LP SHM-CDs from a few years back are the way to go. Some of them are harder to find now. https://www.cdjapan.co.jp/feature/St...issues_Out_Now

A used Hero/Heroine US 1974 LP just showed up at my local record shoppe....4.99....mine. All mine....

I guess I'll get to see the difference between this and the 98 remaster.....

I found a new unopened vinyl copy about 2 months ago and I jumped on it. Glorious!
    The older I get, the better I was.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    I have the US Halcyon and always assumed it was the same remastering as the remasters, but maybe not? Great compilation btw.
    That was my intro to Strawbs. It’s a good comp.
    The sweet smell of Afghanistan rewards a long day’s toil.

Yes, the US Halcyon Days set has a superior mastering and a superior tracklist.

A used Hero/Heroine US 1974 LP just showed up at my local record shoppe....
    I envy you being able to use the phrase "my local record shoppe", one I haven't been able to use (other than a 2nd and Charles) in years. Our daughter lived in Rhinebeck and Red Hook for a few years and I loved visiting Rhino Records in Kingston and New Paltz, Darkside in Poughkeepsie, Jack's Rhythms in New Paltz, and Rocket Number Nine in Kingston. Hope to get back up there someday.

Quote Originally Posted by Burley Wright View Post
    I envy you being able to use the phrase "my local record shoppe", one I haven't been able to use (other than a 2nd and Charles) in years. Our daughter lived in Rhinebeck and Red Hook for a few years and I loved visiting Rhino Records in Kingston and New Paltz, Darkside in Poughkeepsie, Jack's Rhythms in New Paltz, and Rocket Number Nine in Kingston. Hope to get back up there someday.
    Darkside is a 2-minute walk from my school, so its dangerous indeed I guess I'm a bit fortunate to have these record stores in my vicinity.