Thread: FEATURED CD - Esperanto Rock Orchestra : Danse Macabre

FEATURED CD - Esperanto Rock Orchestra : Danse Macabre

Per our friend "Trane", on ProgArchives (though I think I liked it more than he did):
    Very much an improvement on their debut album, Danse Macabre is probably the result of the group's taking their destiny in their own hands. While there were much changes amongst the singing casts, the core of the group remained stable, becoming tighter and musically more interactive. Produced by ex-Crimson Pete Sinfield, this album goes through several states of madness especially when it comes to the string section and it is a concept album. Indeed Raymond Vincent was now leading a four-man string section that was used as the main lead instrument . Starting on the small epic instrumental The Journey a demented trip flying on violin bows and wild paces, we then reach a Castle, a short sung soft and slow track by Keith Christmas. Ensues The Duel, a wild fight between the concerned instruments and some exciting scat choirs and a slight early Crimson influence. The flipside opens on the ecclesiastic and Gregorian The Cloister, but it is all a show, because the track is certainly not as peaceful as its title would have you believe. After an unremarkable Decision, I suppose that the more interesting moments of the Prisoner (those dark slow brooding gothic moments mean that there s some yummy torture, with a little Arabian touch later. The short title track closes the albums with a very weird screechy, almost dissonant violin section showing all signs of losing its marbles musically as they're all over the place. Impressive but perfectible.

What an improvement over the previous album, but then again, wait until their final album to know how much better they could get. In either case, Esperanto's DM is an excellent trip through one of the most visited clichés in the genre. Almost as essential as its follow-up album
    http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=6017

Regards,

Duncan

The title needs to be fixed, it still says “Odyssice.”

I really love this album, it’s one of the lost gems of 70s prog. It shows a progression from sympho-prog via King Crimson pointing towards a more avant-garde style of music like Univers Zero. I rather wish they’d sequenced the disc differently; it peaks early with the 10 minute instrumental freakout “The Journey” and never quite reaches that level again, though I do enjoy the entire album.

Definitely check out the remastered CD. It features [acetate] demo versions of some of the vocal tunes which feature the original quartet of vocalists on board (Glenn Shorrock, Janice Slater, Joy Yates and Brigette du Doit). Not to denigrate Keith Christmas’ contributions to the end product (his versions are the ones I originally knew from the vinyl LP, after all), but I prefer these versions to the official ones.

The reviewer in the OP thinks that Last Tango is a better album? What’s he been smoking?
    Last edited by Progbear; 10-12-2015 at 09:40 PM.
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

Quote Originally Posted by Progbear View Post
    The title needs to be fixed, it still says “Odyssice.”
    Fixed - thanks for pointing it out
    Regards,

Duncan

Bought this LP when it first came out, probably because of Sinfield's name on the cover. For years, I only liked one or two tracks and eventually sold the LP. Years later, I saw the CD and grabbed it just for those tracks. Now, I have come to like every track except the opening track, which for me is just too long and... "dissonant", for lack of a better term. Didn't like the first or third albums, which I gave several chances over the years.

I think it's the best of their roster, but that doesn't say much. Apart from the odd tune here and there, I was never much of a fan. I find that their music has dated rather badly.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan Glenday View Post

Per our friend "Trane", on ProgArchives (though I think I liked it more than he did)
    i prefer Last Tango, but both albums are outstanding... and much better than their debut album
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

I really wanted to like this band back in the day. Loved the name!!! But I could never get into any of their stuff. That was a long time ago and I was just a kid. Maybe I should give them another try.
    The Prog Corner

Love this album. Didn't know there was a remaster with demo tracks,thanks Mike.

One of those albums that I've had on the shelf for decades....
    "Always ready with the ray of sunshine"

Ithink by the tiome of this album, they were just called Esperanto...

the 'Rock Orchestra" thing had disappeared
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

^

I DO agree that their debut was an outright mediocre output; really incohesive both stylistically and in terms of production values and performance. I should probably revisit the title in question here.
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Yah ... I was wondering about that 'Rock Orchestra' thing.

Sent via PE's mobile app
    Regards,

Duncan

I always preferred "Last Tango". It's been decades since I last listened to this one. Need to revisit; the sample sounded badly dated.
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Sounds interesting. Alas it looks like it's not available.

Their cover from Last Tango of Eleanor Rigby is kick ass!

Quote Originally Posted by Rarebird View Post
    Sounds interesting. Alas it looks like it's not available.
    there is a 2on1 release of DM and Last Tango, but I'm not sure it's legit.

Quote Originally Posted by lovecraft View Post
    Their cover from Last Tango of Eleanor Rigby is kick ass!
    One of the best (though I've rarely heard a dsappointing cover of Rigby)

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    It's not, "Second Harvest" is a bootleg lable.

From my vague memories I thought the vocals ruined the experience, but the music was good. Five years or so since my last listening.

Enviado de meu GT-I8190L usando Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post

One of the best (though I've rarely heard a dsappointing cover of Rigby)
    Have you heard Ethel The Frog's version? It is full on heavy metal and I love it.

[QUOTE=Trane;467589]there is a 2on1 release of DM and Last Tango, but I'm not sure it's legit.

Sounds fine though, in lieu of anything else.

This album just kicks major ass.

Would like to hear this album again... seemed pretty great in 76'. Kind of suspect that UZ, Present and some other stuff that came out later might make it feel pretty tame.
    Last edited by Bake 1; 10-11-2015 at 07:29 PM.

Amazing album. Actual "classical Rock". At first, "The Duel" & "The Cloister" were the ones that grabbed me [ as well as being very impressed with the opener "The Journey" & the haunting "The Castle".

However, the more onr listens, the more one appreciates gems like "The Prisoner" & "The Decision" A masterpiece.

Quote Originally Posted by Rand Kelly View Post
    Love this album. Didn't know there was a remaster with demo tracks,thanks Mike.
    The remaster is a Korean mini-LP released by Si-Wan. They reissued all three of their LPs with bonus tracks.
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

Quote Originally Posted by Bake 1 View Post
    Kind of suspect that UZ, Present and some other stuff that came out later might make it feel pretty tame.
    I dunno; did you ever hear pre-chamber rock sensibilities as delivered by bands like Shampoo or (even) Gryphon? I think Esperanto fits in pretty neatly there, seeing how they mostly aim at the "song-form" - something rarely touched by Univers Zero or Present or their likes, who were essentially rather into through-composed form.

Still, I must say that what I miss in Esperanto is that exact nerve of guts to jump into the unforseen - as later exemplified by more avant-garde oriented groups such as the ones you mentioned.