Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ian Anderson Accused of Mimery

Banned

Ian Anderson Accused of Lip Syncing

His side:

A brief message on the subject of the live show.

A few silly, unobservant people have concluded rashly that the new "Jethro Tull Rock Opera" show is either all prerecorded vocals or, at best, that I am singing only about 30% of the words.

This is utter tosh. The show was constructed from the beginning to allow about a third of the performance to be the domain of the pre-recorded video guests - whether singing solo in-character lines or duets with me.

I have done a count of all lines of lyrics, song by song, that I sing - both the total of the whole show and the actual songs minus the recitatives (the introductory short links between the actual songs).

The analysis is as follows:

With recits there are 589 lines of lyrics in the whole show and I sing in 395 of the lines in total or 67%.

Without recits there are exactly 500 lines and I sing 364 or 73% of the lines of the actual songs.

Average 70%. Just as I intended it to be from the initial concept. That’s a lot more lines of lyrics than I sing during in a 1 hour festival set, singing the whole concert myself and about the same amount I would sing in a 1 hr 30 min festival best-of show.

Remember that in Jethro Tull best-of shows there are usually at least two instrumentals plus songs with long instrumental passages, so I think it’s fair to point out that I am actually singing about the same amount as I usually do in the context of the big picture over the many years. This show, has many more sung songs and much less instrumental music anyway.

There are, of course, some of the Rock Opera songs where the lines sung by me are duets as opposed to solo but you get the drift. Perhaps audience members are watching the guests on the video screen (understandable since Ryan and Unnur are young and attractive) rather than me standing in front singing and playing live but that's what the guests are there for: to add to the entertainment value and sing in character as per the story.

Sorry to be pedantic but just for the record, it’s nice to paint the accurate picture for the fans. The lyric pages on our website could be a bit misleading as I tried to reflect the parts (color-coded) that the virtual guests sing whereas, in fact, many of those colour-coded parts are duets with me. However, I had to simplify to show what their contributions are.

Looking on the bright side, if it appears to some folk that my contributions as a vocalist are prerecorded, then I must be doing a half-way decent job of singing it live! Trust me - if you see me with my mouth open and bulging eyes - it's real!

Oh - and so is the flute.....
    Last edited by Firth; 10-02-2015 at 09:06 PM.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    But does he pretend to be trapped inside an invisible box?

When Ian did the TAAB tour with Ryan O'Donnell very competently handling vocals i thought to myself "finally, he get's it and now it's fun to hear the music of Tull performed live again".
    So last year i was thrilled at the chance to see the Homo tour only to find out that Ryan was relegated mostly to pushing a broom around on stage.

What Ian fails to understand is that these 'unobservant people' really don't want to see and hear Ian sing this stuff (classic older material) live, and especially the video images of others that were phoned in.

i believe i'll pass.

I would honestly rather listen to prerecorded vocals ...

Yeah, a fat, old and bald man isn't something I cherish to see running around in pantaloons on stage. I remember going to see IAN solo in a small intimate theatre and I fell asleep.

But, I really give my props to the younger JT(entire band) for being real pioneers of progrock music.

Jim

I've only seen Ian on stage once and he only played two songs but I thought he was a fantastically charismatic performer. I'm surprised to find that people don't care for him live.

Quote Originally Posted by jkleban View Post
    Yeah, a fat, old and bald man isn't something I cherish to see running around in pantaloons on stage.
    His paunchy period was in the 80s, and he was balding before then. I don't think there have been any pantaloons since the 70s.

Quote Originally Posted by progholio View Post
    When Ian did the TAAB tour with Ryan O'Donnell very competently handling vocals i thought to myself "finally, he get's it and now it's fun to hear the music of Tull performed live again".
    So last year i was thrilled at the chance to see the Homo tour only to find out that Ryan was relegated mostly to pushing a broom around on stage.
    I thought Ryan was a very welcome addition to the current semi-Tull, not just for his vocals but for his terrific stage presence. Sorry he's not there in the flesh this time around. One less paycheck for Ian to hand out...

Dave,

Just trying to be somewhat funny by adding the pantaloon reference. :-)

I am actually a big early Jethro Tull fan including the days when Mick Abrahams (Blodwyn Pig) was the guitarist.

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    But does he pretend to be trapped inside an invisible box?
    I think he meant "lip-syncing."

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    I think he meant "lip-syncing."

Quote Originally Posted by Sordel View Post
    I've only seen Ian on stage once and he only played two songs but I thought he was a fantastically charismatic performer. I'm surprised to find that people don't care for him live.
    It's because our musical heroes are not allowed to age. The recent clips I saw were not that bad.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Better than chicanery & debauchery,,,

...or mimeography.
    <sig out of order>

Thorough explanation by Ian but I will say he struggled alot when I saw him on the HE tour, particularly on the high notes.

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    It's because our musical heroes are not allowed to age. The recent clips I saw were not that bad.
    Ain't it the truth. Come on America, let's find a cure for this aging thing. Please?
    The older I get, the better I was.

Quote Originally Posted by Staun View Post
    Ain't it the truth. Come on America, let's find a cure for this aging thing. Please?
    He's been having trouble with the high notes since he was 37.

Do you mean miming?

Maybe he meant mopery.

I don't understand why he'd even want to do this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TGbrJHRdNUw

I thought the TAAB/TAAB2 tour with Ryan was brilliant. Why not just use another live vocalist for the bits he can't sing?

I skipped this tour, and I'm glad I did. I've seen IA/Jethro Tull dozens of times over the years, with good voice and bad voice, but I draw the line here.

Quote Originally Posted by Prognosticator View Post
    Better than chicanery & debauchery,,,
    i'd bet there will still be plenty of lechery.

Quote Originally Posted by progholio View Post
    i'd bet there will still be plenty of lechery.
    I'd settle for hijinks myself.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by Staun View Post
    Come on America, let's find a cure for this aging thing. Please?
    We got it already.

We call it "death."

Methinks Ian doth protest too much.
    I've got a bike you can ride it if you like

Great to hear they're still touring and doing well.
    But I hope you don't mind if I sit this one out.