Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gilmour tops charts..

Gilmour tops charts..

Kinda goes along with my thread regarding Rattle that Lock.. but maybe there's more to this.. Floyd topped the chart a year ago with Endless River and now Dave's done it with a solo effort.. (Didn't realize until reading this that On an Island made it to Number 1 as well).. Is the Floyd "brand" truly this strong compared to Yes / fill in the blank with any other 70's band.. http://www.themalaymailonline.com/sh...sh-album-chart

Suspended
    I dare say those who dislike Gilmour's current direction will pass it of as success based on the "Floyd brand". Those who enjoy it on the other hand will see it as vindication of a good album, the same as the success of On An Island. It's always possible to find some suitable spin to put on things, according to your own opinions.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    I think it tells you how weak the album charts are.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by bob_32_116 View Post
    I dare say those who dislike Gilmour's current direction will pass it of as success based on the "Floyd brand". Those who enjoy it on the other hand will see it as vindication of a good album, the same as the success of On An Island. It's always possible to find some suitable spin to put on things, according to your own opinions.
    Yeah I think it has a lot to do with the Floyd "branding" as well.. With that said.. has Roger topped the charts? Where did Amused fall in the mix when it was released? And to say the charts are "weak".. hmm..

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by happytheman View Post
    Yeah I think it has a lot to do with the Floyd "branding" as well.. With that said.. has Roger topped the charts? Where did Amused fall in the mix when it was released? And to say the charts are "weak".. hmm..
    Well, I have not yet heard RTL, so I can't really judge it - but I wouldn't mind betting that I prefer it to any other album currently in the top 100, with a couple of possible exceptions.
    There are several "best of" compilations on the UK Top 100 that would be quite good; apart form that there is (possibly) the Foals album, and then there is a certain other Gilmour-related album that is spending about its millionth week on the charts. That's about it. So yes, I think it's fair to say the charts are weak, which is not necessarily taking anything away from Gilmour.

The charts is a popularity contest, and I would have been more surprised if RTL did not get to #1. As for other albums, Dark Side of the Moon is lurking around #90.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    I certainly agree to an extent. I think the Pink Floyd brand certainly had a major influence here. I'd account 60% to Floyd brand and the other 40% to a weak music industry.

Suspended
    There's no pleasing some people. On the one hand people are endlessly critical of modern popular music, and what makes it to the "pop" charts. Yet when something at least halfway decent gets to No. 1, all the cynics come out in force. Ever heard of "glass half full"?

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    I usually think of it as halfway to my next pint.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by happytheman View Post
    Is the Floyd "brand" truly this strong compared to Yes / fill in the blank with any other 70's band..
    Of course, because every white, lower-lip biting, boogying, I love Springsteen and Billy Joel guy also bought DSOTM from Columbia Record House at some point, and they know Floyd is supposed to "sound good." So there's a huge market here.

Of course, I'm on the record as liking the album a lot.

That's definitely true. Is Gilmour the only non-rap artist with a new release? I honestly could not name a single song that's popular now aside from Rattle that Lock. Is there anything? I have no clue.

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    That's definitely true. Is Gilmour the only non-rap artist with a new release? I honestly could not name a single song that's popular now aside from Rattle that Lock. Is there anything? I have no clue.
    I don't think Foals are rap.

I don't think Foals are rap.
    Never heard of them.

This just in from Dave's Facebook page...

The first International album charts have started to come in, and, in addition to topping the UK Album chart, David Gilmour's Rattle That Lock has debuted at Number One in a further six countries with more to come. The album is now Number One in the UK and Italy (following On An Island's chart-topping performance in both countries), France, Sweden, Norway, Belgium – in all three region charts – and New Zealand.

David said: "It's thrilling to get a No. 1 album. We all want to hit the top spot, however long we've been at it; I'm delighted. I owe a debt of thanks to Polly Samson, for writing lyrics on four Number 1 albums: The Division Bell; On An Island; The Endless River; and now Rattle That Lock, and also to Phil Manzanera, my co-producer on the last three albums".

I think I should get the album... but knowing that it's #1 on the Pop charts taints the expectations a bit
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

This really means nothing. Sales now are completely front-loaded and mostly in the first week, and the industry seems to happily pursue this strategy.

The test will be if it has legs and lasts beyond the first week. Most albums now by 'veteran artists' do not.

I think it has more to do with him than anything else. I saw his first solo tour for about face, in 84. Arguably a high point in popularity for Floyd. And I don't think the show was sold out. Not the case after his last two tours. So I'm not sure how much the Floyd brand has to do with his popularity now. I don't think post waters Floyd album sales/popularity topped waters era Floyd did they? Maybe those mega shows for lapse of reason and division bell ramped up the Floyd brand beyond waters era?? Interesting question.

Suspended
    Sometimes Occam's Razor applies - the simplest explanation is the best. People are buying the album because they like what they have heard from it, and because he has not disappointed them in the past.

I would say that people connect Gilmour to Pink Floyd far more than they do Waters (not necessarily prog heads, but even some of them do). I mean, he was at the helm for the mega tours in the 80's and 90's, so I think a lot of people just seem him AS Pink Floyd. Certainly his guitar sound is more associated in most people's minds than Waters lyrics? At least, it seems that way to me. However, I don't think the charts mean much anymore, especially when you look at the number of sales compared to, say, 30 years ago. The numbers are so much lower now, it's hard to judge popularity by the charts anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    This really means nothing. Sales now are completely front-loaded and mostly in the first week, and the industry seems to happily pursue this strategy.

The test will be if it has legs and lasts beyond the first week. Most albums now by 'veteran artists' do not.
    This is right, except that plenty of artists who have elaborate pre-order strategies still don't get to number one or anywhere near it. So it does mean something that Gilmour can pull this off. I wonder if it means that The Endless River was well enough received to keep fans on board for his next solo release?

Good for him. Better than Miley, Beyonce, or any number of the umpteen bland youngin's out there today whose names I don't know or can't remember.

And furthermore...

Get off my lawn you kids!
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

Gilmour's albums can say The Guitar and Voice of Pink Floyd whereas Waters' can say The Angry Dictator of Pink Floyd.

Gilmour's albums can say The Guitar and Voice of Pink Floyd whereas Waters' can say The Angry Dictator of Pink Floyd.
    Going along with the theme of this thread.. I'm going to see "The Wall" movie premiere this evening.. This morning on my Facebook feed to remind me of my plans..
    Roger Waters: The Wall: Film Featuring Pink Floyd Band Member Set for Limited Release on Sept. 29

There's no pleasing some people. On the one hand people are endlessly critical of modern popular music, and what makes it to the "pop" charts. Yet when something at least halfway decent gets to No. 1, all the cynics come out in force. Ever heard of "glass half full"?

I thought you hadn't heard it!!

Just jostling you, though

I usually think of it as halfway to my next pint.
    re-

Gilmour's albums can say The Guitar and Voice of Pink Floyd whereas Waters' can say The brains of Pink Floyd.
    Yup, I could imagine that!! ,
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.