Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: A Trick of the Tail tour radio broadcast

A Trick of the Tail tour radio broadcast

Back in '76 I was living in the SF Bay Area and on Christmas day at around 7pm a local rock FM radio station (KSJO or possibly KOME) broadcast an entire show from the AToTT tour. The good news, I recorded it! The bad news, I recorded it on 8 track and it's long gone

I'm wondering if anyone out there has any info on this "official" radio broadcast and knows if it's available anywhere. Note, this is not the same show that the well circulated "Genesis: In Concert" video from that tour is from and I've never seen this show pop up as a bootleg. As far as the setlist, the odd thing I remember was they played "White Mountain". Another odd thing was the radio station broadcast the show in 2 parts, playing John Lennon's "And so this is Christmas" between them. As far as my research shows, the AToTT tour ended mid July 1976 so this was not a live radio simulcast but came from a promotional recording of some kind. It included the entire show and Bruford on drums was pure magic.

Anyone know anything about this fantastic lost treasure?
    Check out my solo project prog band, Mutiny in Jonestown at https://mutinyinjonestown.bandcamp.com/

Check out my solo project progressive doom metal band, WytchCrypt at https://wytchcrypt.bandcamp.com/

There's several radio broadcasts from the Trick tour. Both Pittsburgh and Cleveland were broadcast on the radio (though I think the Cleveland was played at some later date, which is why none of the versions I've ever seen has Entangled on it, because it was left off the broadcast), and there's probably others, too.

White Mountain was, I believe, a nightly feature on the Trick tour, which I've always thought was a bit odd, because I'm not sure it was performed while Ant was still in the band. As I recall, Rutherford would introduce the song each night, telling a story about the wolf in the song wandering into a record store and finding a copy of Trespass and being stunned to find there was a song on the record about him, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by flytomars View Post
    Thanks for the link!

Reviewed all the liner and production notes from this 4/15/76 Cleveland show and this seemed very possible...nearly a sure thing as it included a radio intro and outro. Unfortunately, it doesn't include Entangled and Squonk which I definitely recall from my radio broadcast recording. And since the liner notes specifically mention the bizarre fact that Entangled and Squonk are missing from the original broadcast, that casts a huge doubt on the probability that this is the same version I heard.

Also, my broadcast fit perfectly on a 90 minute 8 track (including Lennon's "And So This is Christmas"), yet when I total up the time of this radio broadcast, it comes in at 103 minutes and 38 seconds (not including the radio intro and outro) so is definitely about 16 minutes longer than the broadcast I taped. Of course, it's possible that the version I recorded had some post production editing so the show would come in at 90 minutes, but I definitely recall it included Dance on a Volcano, White Mountain, Squonk, Entangled, Firth of Fifth, Supper's Ready, I Know What I Like, Cinema Show, and Los Endos. Also interesting as the production notes state that this show was broadcast by 2 stations in Pittsburgh and Cleveland and I heard it on a SF area station about 8 months later. Still, it's possible that my SF station was connected to the Pittsburgh and Cleveland stations and later received broadcast rights...

Because of the track and timing inconsistencies, I tend to doubt this is the same show I recorded but it's the closest candidate I've found to this point! I wonder if there was also a radio broadcast of the Berkeley or possibly another West coast show later in the tour?
    Check out my solo project prog band, Mutiny in Jonestown at https://mutinyinjonestown.bandcamp.com/

Check out my solo project progressive doom metal band, WytchCrypt at https://wytchcrypt.bandcamp.com/

There is also Syria Mosque - Pittsburgh, Pa from 1976-04-13, it has Entangled and Squonk but is ~110 minutes long...
    Wait a sec, did your show include material from the lamb? Mabe this what was edited out to make it 90 minutes?

Yes, "White Mountain" was played on the entire tour, and was nicely done IMO. Very atmospheric in a live setting, especially Tony's ominous keys building up to the "Fang, son of Great Fang the traitor we seek..." section. No doubt Mike introduced this one as it was one of the Phillips/Rutherford compositions from the early days (also no doubt that it was him who lobbied for its inclusion on the tour, as Banks wasn't particularly fond of it, and Collins & Hackett had never played it at that point). One of the tracks (along with "Entangled" and the "It/Watcher" combo) that makes the Trick setlist one of the rarer ones. One of my favourite tours to collect back in the day.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    I didn't know you could record stuff on 8 track - LOL. I want to know which show this was too now.

Unfortunately, the Radio Show Guide at the movement has no mention of a Bay Area rebroadcast for any of the known 1976 recordings.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    What's acknowledged as the best available broadcast from this tour?

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    What's acknowledged as the best available broadcast from this tour?
    The Pittsburgh one kills. It's really great.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    That one is good. The Hammersmith show was a KBFH show which is very good but only a part of the whole show.

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    Ditto. Excellent recording. And IMO the best version ever of White Mountain, with booming bass pedals, and glorious mellotron. Available on many torrent sites. Go for it!

https://thepiratebay.la/torrent/9071...gh__USA_(1976)
    Last edited by AncientChord; 09-27-2015 at 04:50 PM.
    Day dawns dark...it now numbers infinity.

^^ Just a note. If you hear Phil say "Hello, Baltimore" at the beginning, it's the Pittsburgh show. You couldn't ask for better sound.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

I remember that Pittsburgh show the night it was broadcast. I was 12! Bought Trick the next day.

There is also Syria Mosque - Pittsburgh, Pa from 1976-04-13, it has Entangled and Squonk but is ~110 minutes long...
    Wait a sec, did your show include material from the lamb? Mabe this what was edited out to make it 90 minutes?
    I was thinking the same thing as I don't recall any Lamb stuff on my broadcast. Also I was looking at another AToTT show on PRRP and it included Entangled, Squonk, and Phil's stories to introduce Cinema Show and Supper's Ready, which I think were also on my old recording. Anyway, I'm going to give the 4/13/76 Pittsburgh show a listen...considering I haven't heard the SF radio broadcast in about 35 years I probably won't be able to tell the difference

Oh, and here was my trusty Radio Shack 8 Track Recorder

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    I didn't know you could record stuff on 8 track - LOL. I want to know which show this was too now.
    Yep. I recorded the UK show from Boston off the radio live as it happened. It has a track "Forever Until Sunday" that was not included on the syndicated broadcast that got used for the live CDs that eventually came out. I used one of these.
    Last edited by Dave (in MA); 09-27-2015 at 09:45 PM.

There are two good sounding versions on Dime. The one from Cleveland sounded great but looked shorter and Collins' voice sounded like shit on the Carpet Crawlers sample. Another one from Detroit also sounded great but no vocals in the samples but looked to be a longer show.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

Do any of you 8 track recorders remember Certron tapes?

This is the one I have---very strong recording---love it.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    Those were the ones with the white labels and the stripes (blue on the C-90 tapes, red on C-60, or was it the other way around). I only remember them on cassettes, though. The only blank 8-track tapes I ever remember seeing were Ampex.

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    So I gave this one a listen and definitely recognize Phil's story before Cinema Show as being the same as on my original SF broadcast. Don't remember the whole Baltimore/Pittsburgh confusion speech though. Suppose this may mean the original SF radio broadcast I heard was not the Pittsburgh show and that Phil told the exact same Cinema Show story every night. Hard to say for sure, but anyway the Pittsburgh broadcast is fantastic

Certron? Heck yeah- the cassettes at least. They were cheap!

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    Don't even remember them by brand name...probably whatever ones Radio Shack sold