Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: A Trick of the Tail tour radio broadcast

^The Pittsburgh one seems likely to me:

http://radioguide.genesis-movement.o...html#x-13apr76

However, it isn't out of the question that radio recordings broadcast locally then are now forgotten/lost. One of my favourite examples of this relates to an Elvis recording made in 1956, just when he went national and became a superstar....it must have been broadcast on the radio at the time but I don't think this recording was known about until it turned up in the late 80s. This show now is part of the canon and has been released countless times.

http://www.elvis-collectors.com/elrocksl.html

I think Genesis have badly underused their live archive. This 1976/7 period in particular saw a lot of songs which they have not played since then and merit release.

Quote Originally Posted by WytchCrypt
    So I gave this one a listen and definitely recognize Phil's story before Cinema Show as being the same as on my original SF broadcast. Don't remember the whole Baltimore/Pittsburgh confusion speech though. Suppose this may mean the original SF radio broadcast I heard was not the Pittsburgh show and that Phil told the exact same Cinema Show story every night. Hard to say for sure, but anyway the Pittsburgh broadcast is fantastic
    Phil used that same story before both Cinema Show and Suppers Ready on a later tour. It probably is a nearly identical story so its no surprise if you think you recognize it from a different show.

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    (video snipped)
    This PRRP version definitely runs too slow. (He's *notorious* for re-pitching things too slowly--sorry PRRP guy!)
    "Wouldn't it be odd, if there really was a God, and he looked down on Earth and saw what we've done to her?" -- Adrian Belew ('Men In Helicopters')

Quote Originally Posted by flowerking View Post
    Phil used that same story before both Cinema Show and Suppers Ready on a later tour. It probably is a nearly identical story so its no surprise if you think you recognize it from a different show.
    Ya, I remember seeing them live on the next tour (W&W) and Phil was telling the same story and we all expected Cinema Show...but then he turned it around at the end to lead to Supper's Ready
    Check out my solo project prog band, Mutiny in Jonestown at https://mutinyinjonestown.bandcamp.com/

Check out my solo project progressive doom metal band, WytchCrypt at https://wytchcrypt.bandcamp.com/

Quote Originally Posted by WytchCrypt View Post
    Ya, I remember seeing them live on the next tour (W&W) and Phil was telling the same story and we all expected Cinema Show...but then he turned it around at the end to lead to Supper's Ready
    Pretty sure he did the same thing on the'82 tour in LA as well...

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    ^The Pittsburgh one seems likely to me:

http://radioguide.genesis-movement.o...html#x-13apr76
    Agreed. In addition to listening to this show last night, I just read the info on all the '76 radio broadcasts and this one definitely is the winner! It wouldn't surprise me if the Pittsburgh radio station later allowed other "sister stations" across the US to re-broadcast this show - I'd bet the SF radio station I originally heard the show on was one of those stations possibly owned by the same company.

I'm so happy I started this thread...thanks everyone for helping me track down this show
    Last edited by WytchCrypt; 09-28-2015 at 05:17 PM.
    Check out my solo project prog band, Mutiny in Jonestown at https://mutinyinjonestown.bandcamp.com/

Check out my solo project progressive doom metal band, WytchCrypt at https://wytchcrypt.bandcamp.com/

^^ Very low bit rates ^^
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

It was a heck of a tour. I saw one of the two NYC shows at The Beacon.

Phil was so new to fronting the band so I would expect that he would have almost identical stage banter each night. While I like the 1977 tour a wee bit more (for its huge stage show and bigger venues--I saw that at Madison Square garden), my sentimental fav is the 76 show, especially for Billy B's presence as well as all of the slides and movies leftover from the Gabriel tours.

(Thanks for starting the thread so that i can hear a few of these shows that i have not listened to before...)

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmotron View Post
    It was a heck of a tour. I saw one of the two NYC shows at The Beacon.

Phil was so new to fronting the band so I would expect that he would have almost identical stage banter each night. While I like the 1977 tour a wee bit more (for its huge stage show and bigger venues--I saw that at Madison Square garden), my sentimental fav is the 76 show, especially for Billy B's presence as well as all of the slides and movies leftover from the Gabriel tours.

(Thanks for starting the thread so that i can hear a few of these shows that i have not listened to before...)
    You're very welcome! My 1st Genesis show was the '77 tour at the tiny Winterland Ballroom in SF which was a blast, but I much rather would have seen the '76 show - especially for the chance to see Bruford among other reasons. I love the Pittsburgh '76 show this thread turned me onto and am pretty sure it was the same one I heard on the SF radio broadcast back on Christmas day '76. I love the fact that Bruford was improvising and frequently turning the beat inside out which must have driven Tony "play it exactly the same way every show" Banks absolutely crazy

You're very welcome! My 1st Genesis show was the '77 tour at the tiny Winterland Ballroom in SF which was a blast, but I much rather would have seen the '76 show - especially for the chance to see Bruford among other reasons. I love the Pittsburgh '76 show this thread turned me onto and am pretty sure it was the same one I heard on the SF radio broadcast back on Christmas day '76. I love the fact that Bruford was improvising and frequently turning the beat inside out which must have driven Tony "play it exactly the same way every show" Banks absolutely crazy
    Good points there Wytchie. And to me, hearing Bruford play was sublime. We all know what he could bring to the table and yes, it apparently did frustrate the band when he played some things differently each night. If one had seen the earlier tours, I bet it all was a shock. But in comparison to the later tours in large venues, the 76 tour was intimate and allowed a close-up view by all fans. There was so much of the earlier tours in the 76 show...not just the visuals but also the essence of each player, the hardware they used, the vibe of the band, etc. And they played a decent amount of The Lamb which was thrilling (the three screens, the slides, and the movies they used in 76 were of course the same from the previous tour).

The parallel thread going right now on Seconds Out with its emphasis on Phil's stage banter is another distinction...we all know how Phil's stage persona developed over the years but in 76 he was a bit scared and unsure so he stuck with the example Peter set on previous tours. He was genuinely funny, humble, and a great MC for the night. And it seems silly to consider but his "look" was perfect that year...the white slacks, tie-dyed shirt, long hair. He was very convincing when he did Supper's Ready.

One more thing: if you were in the crowd on that tour, you were reasonably saavy. Not too many people were fans back then or knew the band's repertoire. Once 77 and 78 came around, the momentum built substantially and while they were great shows, large percentages of folks in those crowds were not terribly familiar with all of their material.

One of these days, I need to pull out the slides I took on that tour. The good: I had 5th row center seats; the bad: it was my first time taking photos at a show so some of the shots are ok and some are more "atmospheric" than representative. I do have a few good ones of Billy in action when the cymbals are blurred with movement.

Good points there Wytchie. And to me, hearing Bruford play was sublime. We all know what he could bring to the table and yes, it apparently did frustrate the band when he played some things differently each night. If one had seen the earlier tours, I bet it all was a shock. But in comparison to the later tours in large venues, the 76 tour was intimate and allowed a close-up view by all fans. There was so much of the earlier tours in the 76 show...not just the visuals but also the essence of each player, the hardware they used, the vibe of the band, etc. And they played a decent amount of The Lamb which was thrilling (the three screens, the slides, and the movies they used in 76 were of course the same from the previous tour).

The parallel thread going right now on Seconds Out with its emphasis on Phil's stage banter is another distinction...we all know how Phil's stage persona developed over the years but in 76 he was a bit scared and unsure so he stuck with the example Peter set on previous tours. He was genuinely funny, humble, and a great MC for the night. And it seems silly to consider but his "look" was perfect that year...the white slacks, tie-dyed shirt, long hair. He was very convincing when he did Supper's Ready.

One more thing: if you were in the crowd on that tour, you were reasonably saavy. Not too many people were fans back then or knew the band's repertoire. Once 77 and 78 came around, the momentum built substantially and while they were great shows, large percentages of folks in those crowds were not terribly familiar with all of their material.

One of these days, I need to pull out the slides I took on that tour. The good: I had 5th row center seats; the bad: it was my first time taking photos at a show so some of the shots are ok and some are more "atmospheric" than representative. I do have a few good ones of Billy in action when the cymbals are blurred with movement.
    I'd love to see some of your photo's...ok, atmospheric, or otherwise. I have a bunch of my concert shots up on a pinterest page...if you do the same maybe you could let us all know

Ya, there was a huge difference between the 1st time I saw Genesis ('77 5,500 capacity Winterland Ballroom) compared to the next tour ('78 19,500 capacity Oakland Arena).

So what happened between 1977 and 1978 that they went from small venues to arenas?

Bill Bruford, huh? After all these years reading about this band(I may not be a fan but they are interesting, to say the least) I don't remember that tidbit. Learn something new every day, eh?
    Carry On My Blood-Ejaculating Son - JKL2000

Quote Originally Posted by TheLoony View Post
    So what happened between 1977 and 1978 that they went from small venues to arenas?
    Follow You Follow Me

Is that from Duke? I thought that was "the" transitional album but could be wrong. If that song is the case, then wow. Lots of songs have become hits and I never understood why. That's one of them.
    Carry On My Blood-Ejaculating Son - JKL2000

Follow You Follow Me
    That, and a steady increase in fans that had been noticeably growing from one tour to the next. It was a long haul for them through the 70s, but they earned it (and yeah, FYFM helped!)

Bill Bruford, huh? After all these years reading about this band(I may not be a fan but they are interesting, to say the least) I don't remember that tidbit. Learn something new every day, eh?
    Yeah, Bruford joined as a hired gun for the Trick tour. He was the most well-known member of the band at that time! He's remained friends with all of them ever since.

Is that from Duke? I thought that was "the" transitional album but could be wrong. If that song is the case, then wow. Lots of songs have become hits and I never understood why. That's one of them.
    FYFM is from ...And Then There Were Three. The first of several simpler, more straight commercial songs usually blamed on Collins but in fact written by Rutherford.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Sorry if this has been posted already. Here is a great interview from just before Christmas in '76, with Phil and Tony.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pCPrec5Rit0

I would refine your question to "what happened between 1976 and 1977?" Because the 1977 tour was a mix of large venues (i.e. Madison Square Garden in NY) and smaller venues in the smaller cities. And as others pointed out, it was a slow and methodical rise for the band. Each album gained more attention and received more airplay.

Quote Originally Posted by Leibowitz View Post
    Sorry if this has been posted already. Here is a great interview from just before Christmas in '76, with Phil and Tony.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pCPrec5Rit0
    Thank you!

I'd love to see some of your photo's...ok, atmospheric, or otherwise. I have a bunch of my concert shots up on a pinterest page...if you do the same maybe you could let us all know

Ya, there was a huge difference between the 1st time I saw Genesis ('77 5,500 capacity Winterland Ballroom) compared to the next tour ('78 19,500 capacity Oakland Arena).
    I will try. I have quite a few slides from many other shows that would be worthwhile wading through and printing/converting. (My shots of the band from 1977 and 1978 are mucho better.)

The one I really need to print is a balck and white shot of Patty Smith...she has her foot on a monitor at the front of the stage, her hair is hanging down as she sings into the mic, and there is a guy in the front row with his arm pumping...the back of his Tee shirt says "to hell with dialogue, let's wreck something!" I've always wanted to send it to her.

No, Follow is the last track on And Then There Were Three and was the 1st Genesis song to break the US Top 40 and UK Top 10. To me it marked the beginning of the end of the Genesis I loved

No, Follow is the last track on And Then There Were Three and was the 1st Genesis song to break the US Top 40 and UK Top 10. To me it marked the beginning of the end of the Genesis I loved
    I understand your sentiments. And while I identify with that to a degree, my approach has always been to look for the positive songs on the albums of bands that have gone that direction. If there is even one short track on a CD that is otherwise not my cup of tea, I feel it is worth having. Every late-period Genesis album has at least one song I really like.

Genesis built up their following over the years and it got bigger. They were a building cult attraction already with Gabriel. Some like Rufus always play the 'they didn't sell anything with Gabriel' card but this is not true, their last five albums with him all charted well in the UK. In that specific time, only a very small handful of progressive groups did better chart-wise (ELP, Yes, Pink Floyd, Jethro Tull). By contrast, look for chart appearances in the UK over that period by the likes of VDGG, Gentle Giant, Caravan etc. and you will look in vain.

'Follow You Follow Me' broadened the appeal for sure and they became one of the very biggest rock groups from that point. But they were building even without that.

Good points, JJ88. And in my opinion, the main reason Genesis got bigger and bigger is the reason for this thread: THEIR LIVE SHOWS. They kicked butt and turned casual fans into fervent believers. There is a reason they were voted "Best Live Band in 1978 by Melody Maker.

I understand your sentiments. And while I identify with that to a degree, my approach has always been to look for the positive songs on the albums of bands that have gone that direction. If there is even one short track on a CD that is otherwise not my cup of tea, I feel it is worth having. Every late-period Genesis album has at least one song I really like.
    I hear you...and I do have a few prog albums in my collection that remain for only 1 or 2 songs, but for me after Hackett left the % of music I loved on each Genesis album kept drastically shrinking until the '83 "Genesis" album dropped to about 20% and that's when this rat jumped off the ship