Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Passport - Original Album Series

Quote Originally Posted by Progbear View Post
    The only ADII member who plays on it is Lothar Meid on bass. Olaf Kübler was the band’s producer for their classic releases and Jimmy Jackson an occasional sideman, but neither were group members. I’m pretty sure Udo Lindenberg (drums) never played with ADII even as a guest.
    Udo Lindenberg started a solo-career as a singer, which is what he still does to this day. On the luxury edition of his latest live-album Klaus Doldinger plays saxophone on one song.

I agree with Zeuhlmate that Curt Cress is essential for Passport. I have yet to hear Curt Cress Clan and Hattler's solo album. I remember Cress'playing on Triumvirat's Pompeii's as well, very distinctive and effective as usual.

Passport most famous track in Germany (everyone knows it here) The title music to Tatort a crime TV show running since 1970!
    (with Meid and Lindenberg (who is much (much) more famous here than Passport)

Quote Originally Posted by Rarebird View Post
    Udo Lindenberg started a solo-career as a singer, which is what he still does to this day. On the luxury edition of his latest live-album Klaus Doldinger plays saxophone on one song.
    Just before Udo went solo I have him on that Jean-Jacques Kravetz solo album playing drums. Love that record. But yeah Udo became famous in Germany as a solo artist.
    "The wind is slowly tearing her apart"
    Sad Rain
    Anekdoten

Quote Originally Posted by TheH View Post
    The title music to Tatort a crime TV show running since 1970!
    It sounds like '70s TV theme music. Crockett and Tubbs anyone?

This package is a good buy (the best era of the band) and nothing bad can be said about the sound quality which is very good keeping in mind the limitations of the early recordings. However it's really a shame that 2nd Passport hasn't been included, which makes it an incomplete set.

Curt Cress CCC's is a very well-produced energetic and good sounding record, but nothing special musically: short jazz-fusion tracks with some funky moves. Still very impressive for a 22 years old drummer.

Much interesting is Kristian Schulze Set (Passport's keyboard player) Recreation from 1972, a more introspective and original jazz-fusion including some electronic sounds. This is another one to get if you like early Passport and cool jazz-fusion.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Krautman View Post
    Much interesting is Kristian Schultze Set's Recreation from 1972
    Oh, nice. That'll be a keeper for sure. I have a couple of Erdenklang albums by him (Metronomics and New Expedition Extra) but they're kinda new agey. Glad to see more uptempo jazz fusion from him!

[Edit: Hmmm, I see the album was originally released as a trio, "Overdrive: Rock/Jazz Party" by The Bridge in 1972. Thirty years later (2002) it was remixed by the original engineer (Otto B. Hartmann), with horns added (Olaf Kübler & Dusko Goykovich), and re-released under Schultze's name as "Recreation." Interesting...]
    Last edited by rcarlberg; 08-27-2017 at 09:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    Oh, nice. That'll be a keeper for sure. I have a couple of Erdenklang albums by him (Metronomics and New Expedition Extra) but they're kinda new agey. Glad to see more uptempo jazz fusion from him!
    It has nothing in common with his later Erdenklang productions (which I like too), you can't be farther from new age than this. Similar to (M.Moulin) Placebo and early seventies "groovy cool fusion". It has been re-issued and available on CD. The band also includes Olaf Kübler (from A.D II)

Quote Originally Posted by mellotron storm View Post
    Just before Udo went solo I have him on that Jean-Jacques Kravetz solo album playing drums. Love that record. But yeah Udo became famous in Germany as a solo artist.
    Also known as 8 Days in Hamburg. GREAT set.
    "Always ready with the ray of sunshine"

Quote Originally Posted by mellotron storm View Post
    Udo sings on that album as well. Inga Rumpf sings on “I’d Like to Be a Child Again” but the rest is Udo.

Much interesting is Kristian Schulze Set (Passport's keyboard player) Recreation from 1972, a more introspective and original jazz-fusion including some electronic sounds. This is another one to get if you like early Passport and cool jazz-fusion.
    You may also like S.U.B., the second Niagara album, which also features Schultze on keyboards as well as Lindenberg on drums, with three other drummers/percussionists. It does have much of the same feel as early Passport, but a little brassier (Ack van Rooyen on trumpet) and way more percussive—two tracks are pretty much just drum circle/percussion jams, which is what you find exclusively on the other two Niagara albums. Those ones are pretty rough going unless you like hearing people bang on drums, congas, darbukas, etc. for forty minutes at a time.
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

Thanks for the recco-

Curt Cress CCC's is a very well-produced energetic and good sounding record, but nothing special musically: short jazz-fusion tracks with some funky moves. Still very impressive for a 22 years old drummer.
    I concur. The CCC album is good but not great
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?