Thread: Question about GTR and Hackett's Feedback '86

Question about GTR and Hackett's Feedback '86

I understand that the song Prizefighter was mean't for GTR's second lp.

I wonder if there is more material left over ?

And what is the back story with Prizefighter... those vocals are gorgeous. I don't know who the vocalist is (I think there are two), but they are really good.

GTR, what might've been.

The material intended for the second album turned up on Max Bacon's & Robert Berry's solo albums. Both probably long out of print now ?

"Prizefighters" was played live by GTR and is on the released King Biscuit show. Not long after the tour, Hackett left and Howe intended to continue the band (with Berry joining), probably under a new name. It's some of that material that turned up on Berry's Pilgrimage to a Point; plenty more has never been released, but has been bootlegged.

What was on Max Bacon's album?

The vocals on the version on Feedback 86 are by Bonnie Tyler & Chris Thompson, as it says in the liner notes. Bonnie Tyler surely needs no introduction. Thompson has had a lengthy career but is probably best known for singing in Manfred Mann's Earth Band.

Henry
    Where Are They Now? Yes news: http://www.bondegezou.co.uk/wh_now.htm
    Blogdegezou, the accompanying blog: http://bondegezou.blogspot.com/

Cool . Thanks Henry. Max Bacon Had an album ? I've heard Pilgramage to a point. Its quite good as I recall.
    Quote Originally Posted by bondegezou View Post
    "Prizefighters" was played live by GTR and is on the released King Biscuit show. Not long after the tour, Hackett left and Howe intended to continue the band (with Berry joining), probably under a new name. It's some of that material that turned up on Berry's Pilgrimage to a Point; plenty more has never been released, but has been bootlegged.

The vocals on the version on Feedback 86 are by Bonnie Tyler & Chris Thompson, as it says in the liner notes. Bonnie Tyler surely needs no introduction. Thompson has had a lengthy career but is probably best known for singing in Manfred Mann's Earth Band.

Henry

Quote Originally Posted by Rufus View Post
    The material intended for the second album turned up on Max Bacon's & Robert Berry's solo albums. Both probably long out of print now ?
    you may be referring to “the higher you climb” (1995). nik brückner of german prog mothership babyblaue-seiten.de cites his version of “no one else to blame” (also on robert berry’s “P2aP”) and “hungry warrior” as the tracks stemming from the initial GTR2 sessions. here is the link and review – in german but some useful info in the details section:

http://babyblaue-seiten.de/index.php...eviews&alpha=b

“i know what i like” and “roundabout” are apparently stolen from the “king biscuit” live set ... and “boys from the diamond city”, which ended up on ASiA’s “archiva 1” release deserves a mention, too. not a bad song, that.

never been to keen on bacon’s vocals (too “show tunes” for me in an uncomforting dennis de young way), they pretty much ruined the GTR experience for me. just my 2¢ ...

GTR's drummer Jonathon Mover has talked about putting out an album including some GTR material. Anyone know what's happened with that?

Henry

Max Bacon's solo album is on itunes and includes I know what I like and Roundabout.

Pilgramage to a point is not available on itunes, but is still available through Amazon.

"Listen to the People," a song from Berry's excellent solo LP "The Dividing Line," was originally meant for GTR. A demo was on Youtube but seems to be gone now. It sounds very similar to the final version except with Howe's distinctive leads over it.

This is interesting; I didn't know about this. I always thought, when I heard the piece on "Turbulence," that it felt like it needed vocals, and voila.

That's not to say I don't like the "Turbulence" version, but this at least confirmed my suspicions.

Quote Originally Posted by bondegezou View Post

Henry
    I love Pilgrimage To A Point. I bought it at Progfest '95 from Greg Walker. It just so happens that Robert Berry was about 2 feet away from me visiting Greg's booth. He signed it for me: "Hush Lives-Robert Berry" Because we were discussing the Hush debut album. He was really cool.

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasKDye View Post
    This is interesting; I didn't know about this. I always thought, when I heard the piece on "Turbulence," that it felt like it needed vocals, and voila.

That's not to say I don't like the "Turbulence" version, but this at least confirmed my suspicions.
    Cool song I like it. Where else is this version available ?

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    I remember Robert Berry selling his CDs at ProgFest 95 and having to awkwardly not buy anything after talking to him, because I just wasn't interested in it.

Indeed , Berry's Pilgrimage to a Point is an excellent & interesting album . Love the tracks on it with Emerson & Palmer , intended for the next 3 album ! I own 2 versions with slightly different tracks !

Quote Originally Posted by Rufus View Post
    Indeed , Berry's Pilgrimage to a Point is an excellent & interesting album
    “no one else to blame” has some of my most favourite steve howe guitar lines (IF it is indeed him) ever. howe at his 80’s melodic hard rock best!

Henry, are these the tracks you are referring to? I pulled this from Sugarmegs some time ago but cannot remember what it sounded like it's been so long.

GTR - Steve Hackett & Steve Howe

NEUROTREND
    Unreleased 2nd album demo sessions - 1987

1.Young hearts (Robert Berry lead vocals)
    2.These eyes - (Robert Berry lead vocals)
    3.Loneliness - (Robert Berry lead vocals)
    4.Young blood - (Robert Berry lead vocals)
    5.You can't do that - (Robert Berry lead vocals)
    6.Endless nights - (Robert Berry lead vocals)
    7.Young hearts - (Max Bacon lead vocals)
    8.Hungry warriors
    9.Away - (Max Bacon lead vocals)
    10.Sharp on attack - (Max Bacon lead vocals)
    11.Listen to the people - (Max Bacon lead vocals)
    12.Running the human race
    13.This world's big enough

^ Yes, those are demos for the post-Hackett continuation of GTR, not to be confused with material from before Hackett left.

Henry