Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Downes/Lake collaboration

Quote Originally Posted by lak611 View Post
    Gary Moore was a good guitarist, but there was nothing proggy about Lake's solo albums. Most of the lyrics were really sappy and cringe worthy. Just think of some of the song titles like "Love You Too Much" or "Too Young to Love".
    The best thing about Greg's solo output of that period was the live album released as a King Biscuit recording. It's MUCH better than the studio albums. It's about half ELP and King Crimson covers and half his own stuff, but even his own stuff is crackling with energy. Gary Moore was a good fit for that group (as was Tommy Eyre).
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

Quote Originally Posted by Paulrus View Post
    The best thing about Greg's solo output of that period was the live album released as a King Biscuit recording. It's MUCH better than the studio albums. It's about half ELP and King Crimson covers and half his own stuff, but even his own stuff is crackling with energy. Gary Moore was a good fit for that group (as was Tommy Eyre).
    Thanks! 😊 I'll get that CD.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by lak611; 11-02-2016 at 09:35 AM.
    Laura

Quote Originally Posted by Paulrus View Post
    Thanks again for the recommendation. 😊 The CD arrived today, and I listened to it. I really enjoy it.

Laura

Quote Originally Posted by lak611 View Post
    Thanks again for the recommendation. �� The CD arrived today, and I listened to it. I really enjoy it.

If you're a fan of Lake, that album is pretty much essential.

Quote Originally Posted by ytserush View Post
    If you're a fan of Lake, that album is pretty much essential.
    I also ordered "From the Beginning: The Greg Lake Retrospective" and "From the Underground" so I'm not going to bother with this Downes/Lake EP.

I'm a fan of Lake but not Downes.

Laura

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    I was being harsh- about half of the album is certainly good (the two instrumentals are more than that), but the other average half kind of drags it down. Agree on the drumming- some very plodding stuff on here, compared with what he played in ELP throughout the 70s. But then what do you do with something like 'Paper Blood', which isn't very interesting rhythmically? (Emerson again livens that one up.)
    I did indeed got Black Moon and actually like it. I like "Changing States" better than "Another Frontier" on Emerson's album.I don't have any problem with "Footprints in the Snow". I also like "Paper Blood" better than "Money Talks" due to Emerson being so much better than Downes.
    Laura

Quote Originally Posted by grego View Post
    ^ I don't remember much of Lake solo stuff, aside of ELP. I have that 2 albums of his, but to say I was hooked must be an exaggeration. Lake/Downes album is surely for completists, as been said. No great revelations there.
    I decided to get the Lake/Downes CD anyway, since I'm a Lake completist. It will arrive next Monday.

Laura