Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: How often do you need new music to listen to?

Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post
    Realistically, never.

THEN WHY THE F**K DO I KEEP BUYING THEM?????

He asked rhetorically.
    I sometimes/often wonder... then I find the odd pearl here & there...

So far, it seems that 2015 is probably the better year since 2009 and 2007 in terms of number of exciting releases AFAIAC
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post
    Realistically, never.

THEN WHY THE F**K DO I KEEP BUYING THEM?????

How many times is a 70 yr old going to listen to a new cd purchased today before it's inherited by PG's (me, not Gabe) ghost???

He asked rhetorically.
    ... but that's not a problem if PG's ghost has similar tastes to PG, as seems to be the case. After all, that's what kids are for - so you can "pass on the flame".

Subterranean Tapir Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar
    I feel like I need it quite often. It's a problem I recognize, but probably won't fix until I'm homeless or dead.

I do think there is an element of 'well, if I don't buy this now, I might not get a chance to buy it later' involved with it all.
    Please don't ask questions, just use google.

Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

I'm only here to reglaze my bathtub.

I always listen to music almost everyday. Listening to good music makes me feel more relax.

Well, between music coming in for review, music I'm buying for research and music I'm buying just for plain 'ol fun, I'm embarrassed to say that not only do I listen to new music every day, I NEED to listen to new music every day.

If the mailbox is empty, the day seems somehow lacking....

You know John, if all those CDs become a burden I would be more than happy to help you part with them...
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Especially all those King Crimson boxes that must be cluttering up the place.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Watch that Kelman, he's a real troublemaker! He's caused me to part with far more money on music than would have been sensible. In the past, we would get together and he would bring over a batch of new things for me to hear and I would be scribbling CD names down furiously as we went.

Lately, we've been in rediscovery mode - revisiting things in hi-rez on great sound systems (his and mine).

To follow suit - I was buying 100 - 150 CDs per year in the 90s and 00s, but I have cooled off dramatically. I would guess I'm running at around 50 a year this decade. Until recently, it was split pretty evenly between Wayside/Sym-phonic and Amazon, but with the recent drop in the Canadian dollar, I've been sticking pretty much to amazon.ca and used LPs and CDs in town.

Like others, I am constantly selling off or trading things that I no longer need to own or more specifically, have determined that I never need to hear it again.
    Think of a book as a vase, and a movie as the stained-glass window that the filmmaker has made out of the pieces after he’s smashed it with a hammer.
    -- Russell Banks (paraphrased)

These days I've been discovering less new music sadly. Its getting to the point where I feel like heard everything before, I realised that there are only a few acts whose new albums are an 'auto buy' for me these days. I have become so bored with so many bands who don't seem to offer anything new anymore and there are so many Prog bands who are anything but.

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    Daily, except for Sunday
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

I have a house filled with music; more than enough to get me through the rest of my life. Even though I know that to be true, I still want more. I love music with a passion and I have the collector gene. I work in a record store so it's tempting to bring something home every night; new, old, still sealed or used -- it doesn't matter. I have to ignore the jones and tell myself to wait until something comes along I just cannot do without and then make a purchase. After all I do work in a record store. I love my job but it don't pay.