Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: The Warriors last subway ride

Pendulumswingingdoomsday Rune Blackwings's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by selmer View Post
    It's surprising. Conversations about Pare, Cruisers, Philadelphia Experiment...and no mention of Streets of Fire. Usually someone brings that one up. It's like Warriors Part 2, only dressed even more in the 80's style.
    I was going to, but it is these days a fairly obscure movie. I think the only thing most people do know about it is the Dan Hartman song from it.
    "Alienated-so alien I go!"

Quote Originally Posted by walt View Post
    Warriors.....come out to play....ay...........

Man, i heard that all over NYC back in the days.
    I routinely use the line "No reason, I just like doin' things like that" all the time.

And I love The Orphans! My favorite gang in the film, so falsely brave and pathetic.

They should've used this song in the movie.

Quote Originally Posted by TheLoony View Post
    So I'm the only one who doesn't like this flick, huh? Of course that's the way life has to be. I couldn't fit in if I tried.

I never saw this until about 20 years after it came out, some time in the late '90's. That, and possibly the fact that I thought it was so ridiculous made me dislike it. I must not know anything about NYC as this seems to have been based on more reality than I would have ever guessed.

Wouldn't surprise me at all.
    I totally get why someone seeing this movie later would not think it was all that good. In fact….it was not really all that good, but it is one of those movies that came out at the right time for people at the right age. I totally dug it when it came out, but if I did not see it until years later I doubt I would have thought it was nearly that good.

Another movie that comes to mind like this is “Fast Times At Rigmont High”. For me that movie was the perfect depiction of high school life when I went to school. I mean, I knew someone like just about every character in that movie and was probably an amalgamation of several of them myself. Over the years I have tried to turn several people much younger than me onto that movie and they don’t get it. Some of them think it is ok, but few if any of them think it is as great as I do. Again, it was a case of the perfect movie at the perfect time.

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    I totally get why someone seeing this movie later would not think it was all that good. In fact….it was not really all that good, but it is one of those movies that came out at the right time for people at the right age. I totally dug it when it came out, but if I did not see it until years later I doubt I would have thought it was nearly that good.

Another movie that comes to mind like this is “Fast Times At Rigmont High”. For me that movie was the perfect depiction of high school life when I went to school. I mean, I knew someone like just about every character in that movie and was probably an amalgamation of several of them myself. Over the years I have tried to turn several people much younger than me onto that movie and they don’t get it. Some of them think it is ok, but few if any of them think it is as great as I do. Again, it was a case of the perfect movie at the perfect time.
    for me that movie is Dazed And Confused. I literally could have renamed every character with someone I knew from my own personal experience.

Quote Originally Posted by 3LockBox View Post
    for me that movie is Dazed And Confused. I literally could have renamed every character with someone I knew from my own personal experience.
    If I remember right “Dazed And Confused” takes place in 1976? I remember liking it, but it was just slightly before my time from a high school perspective.

I was wondering about that. I did see it so many years after it was released that it just looked so damned goofy. I may have grown up during that era but Las Vegas is a far cry from NYC.

I'll probably have to locate a copy someday and watch it knowing it's a lot more reality based than I ever thought it was. It almost seemed like fantasy. A different gang on every block, wearing that stuff? Really?

I saw loads of crazy clothes in the late '70's and in the '80's but had never seen stuff like that unless one was in a production on the Strip or some such. Well, learn something new every day, huh?
    Carry On My Blood-Ejaculating Son - JKL2000

Quote Originally Posted by Rune Blackwings View Post
    I was going to, but it is these days a fairly obscure movie. I think the only thing most people do know about it is the Dan Hartman song from it.
    Is it really that obscure? Well, I guess it is compared to Aliens, Predator, Back To The Future and Ghostbusters. But I think it has a lot of supporters. To be honest, I don't think it's great but solid it is.

Quote Originally Posted by selmer View Post
    Ry Cooder definitely IS good. He worked with Hill several times.
    Southern Comfort was his best music for Hill, IMO. That soundtrack fits the film hand-in-glove and contributes significantly to the overall eerie atmosphere of existential despair in it.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    Southern Comfort was his best music for Hill, IMO. That soundtrack fits the film hand-in-glove and contributes significantly to the overall eerie atmosphere of existential despair in it.
    It fits the film. When Hill was interviewed about the film he said that it isn't fun and that he said to the crew that they aren't making a film which is a commentary of Vietnam. There are some reviews that say it's a film which wants to say smth about Vietnam but apparently it isn't. It was tough to make because of the shooting on location.
    There was one more film which had a similar vibe - Hunter's Blood which was made in the mid 80's. Not the best film but it's fun.

There's an interesting exchange in Southern Comfort between Carradine's and Boothe's characters after one of their group blew up the locals house. Boothe's lines of "That's all you've got to say?" and "He got pissed off?" are priceless.
    It starts at 42.14 and goes approximately till 44.08.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VMgpFpNyOc4