Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Warriors last subway ride

Quote Originally Posted by 3LockBox View Post
    A total dude flick. Warriors was campy fun but at no time was it really compelling for me. I think it was meant to be a highly stylized depiction of big city gangs, not a serious one (kinda like West Side Story without the finger snapping) just like the sweathogs weren't serious depictions of inner city high school students (another show beloved by kids back when, which I found book inducing). It was a few years later that another movie came out called Eddie and The Cruisers, also a movie that seemed to invoke obcession among the 20something guys of my day. The barracks where I was staying had these two movies on a constant cycle. But even these two movies seemed like cinematic gold compared to another dude movie that came later, the acting-optional Bloodsport.
    But Bloodsport had an awesome score by Paul Hertzog...as did Kickboxer.

Quote Originally Posted by dropforge View Post
    If you like The Warriors, fast-forward a few years and watch this one:

Haven't seen Class Of 1984, but there was Class of 1999 with Pam Grier, Patrick Kilpatrick and the awesome John P. Ryan as teachers-robots.
    But that cover reminded me of Mcdowall and Fright Night and the long line of quotable stuff.

Charlie Brewster: "But you said you believe in vampires!!!"
    Peter Vincent: "I lieeeed...please, leave me aloooone."

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    Yeha, there's same great moments in that picture. I love the bit where Remo comes into the room, and Chun is watching a soap opera:

Remo: What the hell are you watching?!
    Chun: Your country's only contribution to the arts! Now, shut up!

The bit at the end where Remo says, "Chun, you're incredible!" and Chun says "No, I'm better!" directly inspired my sarcastic "No, it's better than prog" response in all the "Is (insert name of artist not normally associated with prog) prog?!" threads.
    Also the end where Grey's character is rushing to watch the soap opera

Since there was a mention of Bolo Yeung.
    There is a priceless scene in another Van Damme movie "Double Impact" where he pretends to look at the ceiling as he prepares to fight JCVD...his facial expressions in both movies are interesting to say the least.

As for martial arts, who can forget the Cannon made American Ninja films and those three Ninja movies with Sho Kosugi. So much style in them. Also some great scores.

Quote Originally Posted by selmer View Post
    Sho Kosugi. So much style in them.
    Pray for Death is of course the On the Waterfront of ninja movies.

- 'ho AR yo?! I WAAN yo!! Pout it doun!! I WAAN yo!!
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Bloodsport had an awesome score by Paul Hertzog
    Yup!

Pendulumswingingdoomsday Rune Blackwings's Avatar
    It was the Baseball Furies that made me think of the movie a couple months ago at work. I guess there was some sort of girl's softball tournament in the area, because no fewer than three teams ate at our restaurant the same Sunday morning. And one of them was called The Fury. That's what brought the movie to mind.

What? You mean getting arrested by Mercedes Ruehl for being a sleaze? There are worse things that can happen to a guy!

Like getting run over with a subway because you and the director had disagreements...
    "Alienated-so alien I go!"

Pendulumswingingdoomsday Rune Blackwings's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 3LockBox View Post
    A total dude flick. Warriors was campy fun but at no time was it really compelling for me. I think it was meant to be a highly stylized depiction of big city gangs, not a serious one (kinda like West Side Story without the finger snapping) just like the sweathogs weren't serious depictions of inner city high school students (another show beloved by kids back when, which I found book inducing). It was a few years later that another movie came out called Eddie and The Cruisers, also a movie that seemed to invoke obcession among the 20something guys of my day. The barracks where I was staying had these two movies on a constant cycle. But even these two movies seemed like cinematic gold compared to another dude movie that came later, the acting-optional Bloodsport.

Eddie and the Cruisers was fun, too-odd you should mention it here, since Pare' and Beck were in a TV show together.
    "Alienated-so alien I go!"

Quote Originally Posted by Rune Blackwings View Post
    Eddie and the Cruisers was fun, too-odd you should mention it here, since Pare' and Beck were in a TV show together.
    I liked Michael Pare better in The Philadelphia Experiment. Now that was a cool picture!

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    Pray for Death is of course the On the Waterfront of ninja movies.

- 'ho AR yo?! I WAAN yo!! Pout it doun!! I WAAN yo!!
    -Do you know where the sword is?
    -Maybe...

So many interesting lines in Ninja Domination. And that score...

Quote Originally Posted by dropforge View Post
    Yup!
    There was an interview with him where he said that he stopped doing scores in the early 90's because nobody offered him anything. But then that's a story of 90's scores in general and with what the synths were replaced.

It's surprising. Conversations about Pare, Cruisers, Philadelphia Experiment...and no mention of Streets of Fire. Usually someone brings that one up. It's like Warriors Part 2, only dressed even more in the 80's style.

I loved Streets of Fire at the time. Mostly because of my ridiculous crush on Diane Lane.
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

So I'm the only one who doesn't like this flick, huh? Of course that's the way life has to be. I couldn't fit in if I tried.

I never saw this until about 20 years after it came out, some time in the late '90's. That, and possibly the fact that I thought it was so ridiculous made me dislike it. I must not know anything about NYC as this seems to have been based on more reality than I would have ever guessed.

I didn't like Led Zeppelin or The Doors and then I found out I disliked this movie that everyone loved when I was a kid. Well, there's my three strikes. Just for the record, I enjoyed Bloodsport(mainly because of the different fighting styles used in the flick) and hated John Cafferty and the Beaver Brown Band, who did the music for Eddie and the Cruisers, so I've never seen that flick either. Is that another two strikes against me?

Wouldn't surprise me at all.
    Carry On My Blood-Ejaculating Son - JKL2000

It's surprising. Conversations about Pare, Cruisers, Philadelphia Experiment...and no mention of Streets of Fire. Usually someone brings that one up. It's like Warriors Part 2, only dressed even more in the 80's style.
    I saw Streets Of Fire a long, long, long time ago. The main things I remember about that movie have to do with the music:

1. The score wsa done by the legendary Ry Cooder, and as such, I remember there being a lot of cool slide guitar bits in some of the dramatic scenes.

2. The big hit song that was in the movie, I Can Dream About You, was sung by Dan Hartman, who is decidedly more Caucasian looking than the Temptations style vocal group who are seen "singing" it in the movie. As I recall, the director loved the song, thought it was perfect for the movie, but he didn't think Dan Hartman didn't have "the right look" for the scene where he wanted the song to be performed in the film. So he hired four African American actors, and pulled a Milli Vanilli (several years before Milli Vanilli), except no secret was made of the fact that the guys in the movie didn't actually sing the song.

Two of those actors in the movie are of interesting note: the group's "lead singer" is Stoney Jackson, who was one of the dancers in Michael Jackson's Beat It video. He also was one of the stars of that short lived TV show back in 1984 that used the Genesis song Just A Job To Do as it's theme music. He played an investigative reporter who sarcastically used Betty Crocker as his pen name.

The other actor was Robert Townsend, who later became well known for directing and starring in comedies, particularly a critically acclaimed picture called Hollywood Shuffle, which was sort of a satire about an African American actor trying to escape the stereotypical typecast roles that he was always being offered.

Oh yeah, and I think The Blasters were in one scene of that movie too. And who was the chick in that movie...I remember she was pretty hot too. But like I said, it's been like 3 decades since I seen the picture.

Quote Originally Posted by TheLoony View Post
    So I'm the only one who doesn't like this flick, huh? Of course that's the way life has to be. I couldn't fit in if I tried.

I never saw this until about 20 years after it came out, some time in the late '90's. That, and possibly the fact that I thought it was so ridiculous made me dislike it. I must not know anything about NYC as this seems to have been based on more reality than I would have ever guessed.

I didn't like Led Zeppelin or The Doors and then I found out I disliked this movie that everyone loved when I was a kid. Well, there's my three strikes. Just for the record, I enjoyed Bloodsport(mainly because of the different fighting styles used in the flick) and hated John Cafferty and the Beaver Brown Band, who did the music for Eddie and the Cruisers, so I've never seen that flick either. Is that another two strikes against me?

I don't believe anyone is keeping a tally sheet around here. Like what you like and make no apologies.

I would be A-Okay if I were to never hear a Zeppelin or Doors song ever again, so you get no heat from me there.

I would be A-Okay if I were to never hear a Zeppelin or Doors song ever again, so you get no heat from me there.
    Yeah, but you and I are few and far between and the amount of grief I've gotten over the decades because I'm not a total fan boy of either group is, quite frankly, absurd. As far as the Warriors, I've never met anyone in real life who didn't totally love that movie. This thread seems to be no different.

Also, I've never seen The Goonies, which also seems to be dearly loved and I didn't even know Say Anything existed until those I Love The '80's('90's?) shows came on. How could I not have known about Say Anything, I don't know. That freaking iconic scene, Peter Gabriel and all that, how did I miss that? Everyone else knew about it and even if I hadn't seen the movie I eventually would have found out about that scene, at least. Nowadays I see it referenced quite a bit but never noticed that BITD.

I've also never seen a Lethal Weapon movie but that I am proud of. Movies like that I'd rather miss out on as they hold no charm for me.
    Carry On My Blood-Ejaculating Son - JKL2000

The Warriors captures the late 70s zeitgeist of youth attitudes / mentality pretty well. It's no surprise to me that those of a certain age have a soft spot for the flick.

Quote Originally Posted by Klonk View Post
    I loved Streets of Fire at the time. Mostly because of my ridiculous crush on Diane Lane.
    I saw that film when I was 13; now being 44, I'm *STILL* somewhat in love with her!
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Yeah, but you and I are few and far between and the amount of grief I've gotten over the decades because I'm not a total fan boy of either group is, quite frankly, absurd. As far as the Warriors, I've never met anyone in real life who didn't totally love that movie. This thread seems to be no different.

Also, I've never seen The Goonies, which also seems to be dearly loved and I didn't even know Say Anything existed until those I Love The '80's('90's?) shows came on. How could I not have known about Say Anything, I don't know. That freaking iconic scene, Peter Gabriel and all that, how did I miss that? Everyone else knew about it and even if I hadn't seen the movie I eventually would have found out about that scene, at least. Nowadays I see it referenced quite a bit but never noticed that BITD.

I've also never seen a Lethal Weapon movie but that I am proud of. Movies like that I'd rather miss out on as they hold no charm for me.
    Somebody needs a hug.
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

Those 'Lethal Weapon' films aren't even bad enough to be good, so there's no comparison to speak of.

There was one critic on one of the movie discussion podcasts who said that he almost stopped being friends with somebody who liked Alien 3

I saw Streets Of Fire a long, long, long time ago. The main things I remember about that movie have to do with the music:

1. The score wsa done by the legendary Ry Cooder, and as such, I remember there being a lot of cool slide guitar bits in some of the dramatic scenes.

2. The big hit song that was in the movie, I Can Dream About You, was sung by Dan Hartman, who is decidedly more Caucasian looking than the Temptations style vocal group who are seen "singing" it in the movie. As I recall, the director loved the song, thought it was perfect for the movie, but he didn't think Dan Hartman didn't have "the right look" for the scene where he wanted the song to be performed in the film. So he hired four African American actors, and pulled a Milli Vanilli (several years before Milli Vanilli), except no secret was made of the fact that the guys in the movie didn't actually sing the song.

Two of those actors in the movie are of interesting note: the group's "lead singer" is Stoney Jackson, who was one of the dancers in Michael Jackson's Beat It video. He also was one of the stars of that short lived TV show back in 1984 that used the Genesis song Just A Job To Do as it's theme music. He played an investigative reporter who sarcastically used Betty Crocker as his pen name.

The other actor was Robert Townsend, who later became well known for directing and starring in comedies, particularly a critically acclaimed picture called Hollywood Shuffle, which was sort of a satire about an African American actor trying to escape the stereotypical typecast roles that he was always being offered.

Oh yeah, and I think The Blasters were in one scene of that movie too. And who was the chick in that movie...I remember she was pretty hot too. But like I said, it's been like 3 decades since I seen the picture.
    It's a cool picture. Diane Lane was the main love interest.
    The soundtrack is one of the best things about it, Ry Cooder definitely IS good. He worked with Hill several times. There was another film with Mickey Rourke - Johnny Handsome. Haven't seen it all yet but I watched some bits and the score was really decent.

Warriors.....come out to play....ay...........

Man, i heard that all over NYC back in the days.
    "please do not understand me too quickly"-andre gide