Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Richard Sinclair Solo Record Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Paulrus View Post
    LOL, here in the Bay Area he played the patio of a gold course clubhouse. That man went anywhere and did anything to play his music.
    In LA Richard got a gig at Spaceland, a well-known club, maybe 2004 or 2005. He was the last of 3 acts and maybe 8 people were there specifically to see him. This despite LA Weekly giving him one of their "gigs of the week" recommendations. I actually convinced the previous band (Slow Signal Fade) and some of their fans to stay to see him.

I shouldn't have. Richard is one of my favorite artists of all time so this is difficult. He sucked. Completely unrehearsed, with a pickup band that didn't know the music. Someone shouted "ditch the band. Play songs you actually know." Sadly there weren't many of those on that particular night.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by progman1975 View Post
    Ok Canterburians, closer to the Caravan sound: RSVP or Caravan of Dreams. Or are they both worth checkin' out??
    Caravan of Dreams is better to these ears.

In New York, he played the back room of a restaurant called "Caravan of Dreams" with Andy Ward and Rick Biddulph. Not sure if had any relationship to the venue -- I think the owner was a prog rock fan (Kevin Ayers played there months later). They also did a live broadcast on WFMU that week using a make shift drum kit. Terrific set.

I remember seeing him in LA in the early 90s... with Andy Ward on drums. Thinking that Gilli Smythe opened up or vice-versa.

Funny how memory slips now...
    "Always ready with the ray of sunshine"

Like I wrote in one of the Canterbury-threads I saw Richard on May 7th 1984 with In Cahoots and spoke to him VERY briefly (about his time with Camel).

Quote Originally Posted by Paulrus View Post
    LOL, here in the Bay Area he played the patio of a gold course clubhouse. That man went anywhere and did anything to play his music.
    He also played in Malcolm Humes [R.I.P.] backyard. Mal was living in a store-front on Adeline in Berkeley at the time. Cool gig, at one point Richard played an improv that incorporated the bridge section [presumably the bit he wrote, and by far the best part] of “Summer Lightning.”
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

Quote Originally Posted by Progbear View Post
    Malcolm Humes [R.I.P.]
    Sad to read that... you, Malcolm and Roylayer were helpful at the beginning of Strawberry Bricks.
    "Always ready with the ray of sunshine"

Quote Originally Posted by interbellum View Post

Never took notice on this one, but today I listened to a couple of songs, liked the Kit Watkins-tracks I heard and then I found this youtube and now I've ordered it. Better Late!
    B.t.w. the version I bought is an Italian official re-release from 2018: https://www.discogs.com/Richard-Sinc...lease/12347378
    The cover however is a bad copy of the original.

Quote Originally Posted by bill g View Post
    He did WHAT??? Played in a restaurant in Seattle??
    It was the basement banquet room of a Chinese restaurant on Eastlake (name lost to memory), but it actually it looked out on Elliott Bay and so was a lot classier than it sounds. It was not well advertised. I found out, by happenstance, about two days before it happened.

The twelve of us who were there were all dedicated Richard fans and we spent a lot of time chatting with him. There was no "stage" to speak of, just him sitting in front of the picture windows with a stool and a little Pignose amp. Heather was off to one side with a card table full of CDs.

Funny story: the next night Faust appeared at The Offramp -- a wild, unforgettable show involving chain saws and nudity -- and ONE GUY at that show had also been at Richard's the night before. I picked him out to say hello (kindred spirit) but didn't get his name. He may well be on PE?

A couple years later Richard came through town again to play the Progman Cometh festival, and everywhere he went he always carried his acoustic guitar. He was always trying to get the other musicians to sit and play something with him -- but they were mostly too jet-lagged or hung over and always slagged him off. He was like a little puppy dog. "Come on, guys, let's put on a show!"

Quote Originally Posted by interbellum View Post
    B.t.w. the version I bought is an Italian official re-release from 2018: https://www.discogs.com/Richard-Sinc...lease/12347378
    The cover however is a bad copy of the original.
    I figured the original cover art is long ago lost so they’re using scans of the CD art blown up to LP size...how does the 2018 vinyl issue sound? I’ve been mulling the possible purchase since I saw them on Discogs.
    Daily jazz vinyl reviews on Instagram @jazzandcoffee

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    It was the basement banquet room of a Chinese restaurant on Eastlake (name lost to memory), but it actually it looked out on Elliott Bay and so was a lot classier than it sounds. It was not well advertised. I found out, by happenstance, about two days before it happened.

The twelve of us who were there were all dedicated Richard fans and we spent a lot of time chatting with him. There was no "stage" to speak of, just him sitting in front of the picture windows with a stool and a little Pignose amp. Heather was off to one side with a card table full of CDs.

Funny story: the next night Faust appeared at The Offramp -- a wild, unforgettable show involving chain saws and nudity -- and ONE GUY at that show had also been at Richard's the night before. I picked him out to say hello (kindred spirit) but didn't get his name. He may well be on PE?

A couple years later Richard came through town again to play the Progman Cometh festival, and everywhere he went he always carried his acoustic guitar. He was always trying to get the other musicians to sit and play something with him -- but they were mostly too jet-lagged or hung over and always slagged him off. He was like a little puppy dog. "Come on, guys, let's put on a show!"
    Funny! Well shoot I would have jammed with him! He sounds really cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Grimjack View Post
    I figured the original cover art is long ago lost so they’re using scans of the CD art blown up to LP size...how does the 2018 vinyl issue sound? I’ve been mulling the possible purchase since I saw them on Discogs.
    Sorry for the misunderstanding, but I have the CD-re-release of R.S.V.P, not the LP-re-release, although both are on the same label New Platform.

Quote Originally Posted by bigjohnwayne View Post
    Caravan of Dreams is incredible. It's very song oriented. Jazzy, melancholy, full of beauty. I listen to it more than all but a couple Caravan albums these days.

On paper RSVP is even better--it's got Kit Watkins! The songs are a touch longer! Whereas Caravan of Dreams (according to my understanding) was a collection of trunk songs, some of which dating back to the early 80s, this was a made from scratch record. Thus, it isn't quite as consistently tuneful or memorable. It isn't as immediate a record, but still worth getting.

But then again "Back to Front" is one of my favorite Caravan records--and partially because it is in ways reminiscent of the sound of these two records (especially the Richard Sinclair written tracks, obviously)
    In total agreement