Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Catherine Ribeiro & Alpes

So I have the previous box
    I do miss the fact it misses her debut
    Any other essentials in the new box ?
    btw: I would prefer to pay more and get an informative well designed box rather then bare bones

Quote Originally Posted by Udi Koomran View Post
    So I have the previous box
    I do miss the fact it misses her debut
    btw: I would prefer to pay more and get an informative well designed box rather then bare bones
    I passed on the previous box set, because the debut was missing

No doubt I'll go for this one, but indeed it's a little too bare... Not asking for lyrics sheets or fancy stuff, but at least some historical backgrounds would've be been nice
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

There is a booklet in the new box. It's in french and in english. It's a little historical background on Catherine and the band. And there is a couple stunning photos.

imo Libertés ? and Le temps de l'autre are essential, 2bis, Passions and La déboussole are very good indeed. Well worth the purchase. The boxset would have been complete with the 'Thème en bref / Silen Voy Kathy (live 1970)' single and the live versions of 'Aria populaire' (from the 13+2 compilation) and 'Tous les droits sont dans la nature' (from Un jour de fête au féminin présent, 1980).
    But the deluxe package with unreleased bonus tracks, live recordings, Steven Wilson 5.1 remixes, fab booklet and 'baba cool' bandana is not going to happen, OK ? although the potential market for that vs. the actual product are exactly the same, and it would sell just as "well"...
    Last edited by unclemeat; 10-29-2015 at 04:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyberian Cat View Post
    There is a booklet in the new box. It's in french and in english. It's a little historical background on Catherine and the band. And there is a couple stunning photos.
    sounds good... Looks like I will order it this w-e
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Thème en bref (1970)

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    It always fascinates me how people who are blessed with such a particularly inviting physical exterior still find their way into "fringe" artistics, but truth be said I know several such individuals myself.
    Perhaps because she's been judged on her looks alone, judged on them until she's absolutely sick of it and doesn't want that to happen any more. So she makes music that forces people to think, forces them to take her seriously as a singer and poet and dramatic performer, and far more than a pretty face. And in turn, her appearance lets her put her music across to a larger audience, music that might otherwise be a very hard sell to all but a tiny crowd of extreme aficionados.

Quote Originally Posted by unclemeat View Post
    Bruxelles 1972

Wow... can't believe they played in a cathedral... Obviously the bishop had not heard their music before, because he would've never allowed it if he had

Fucking magical... what an era that must've been.

It's almost like the Velvet Underground without Lou Reed. There's the primitivism, the experimentalism, but none of Reed's three-chord rock 'n roll purity or his warped take on hack one-hit-wonder bubblegum garage pop. Nico, of course, handles all the vocals. And the backing band come off more like a caveman version of the Doors, without the chops or blues-rock leanings, but also without being held back by much of any kind of precedent.

Had time to listen to their first two (never heard before), and they're typically in the line of Paix and Ame Debout; though maybe a bit more surprisingly so, more the 2 Bis than N°2

Not sure I'll have the patience to work all the way through to their last album La Déboussole, though.

Too bad the two Alpes (without Ribeiro) Rock Sous La Dalle and En Attendant Noé (dating from the 90's) are not included in here either. Obviously different (no Ribeiro yelling here rage), but still worthy

Ribeiro could have stood in for Damo Suzuki and Malcolm Mooney, methinks.
    Quote Originally Posted by baribrotzer
    more like a caveman version of the Doors
    Or Can?

How are those mid to late 70's albums (post Le Rat Débile Et L'homme Des Champs ) ?

How are those mid to late 70's albums (post Le Rat Débile Et L'homme Des Champs ) ?
    I've reviewed all the later-70's vinyls (borrowed from my library system) on PA some 10 years ago, but I haven't had time to listen to the CD reissue yet... I'll let you know when I get to them, but right now, I've kind of overdosed on them (listened to the first four so far, so RD&HdC should be the next one)

As I said before in this thread, Libertés ? and Le temps de l'autre are essential, Passions and La déboussole are very good indeed (albeit with a then up-to-date production that hasn't aged quite as well as the earlier records), all worth having.

https://soundcloud.com/catherine-ribeiro-official
    Last edited by unclemeat; 07-28-2017 at 01:12 PM.

Paix is so killer. Definitely has some Krautrock vibes contained therein. Sooo good.

This should rather aim at being closer to Cin Klimsong and Yes, 'cause that's the prog I know from before and can relate to. I don't want so-called "prog" to think that it's about doing other and/or "new" things, 'cause that would threaten my outlook on life and man and the world and stuff.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

What about the debut ?
    Its rather rare and never reissued

^ Udi, I think it's quite close to the sound and approach of No. 2, albeit just not quite "there" yet in terms of stylistic conviction. Altogether I find No. 2, Paix and Libertes her greatest outings. There was never anything else quite like it. The constant Piaf- and Nico-references aside, Ribeiro was essentially as idiosyncratic as other French like Etron Fou or Magma. IMO.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

What about the debut ?
    Do you mean +2Bis or N°2 (the first one called + Alpes)?

Both albums were reissued in CD in one of the two existing boxsets

https://rateyourmusic.com/release/co...9_1980___9_cd/

If memory serves, the first Alpes (N°2) had aready been reissued in the smaller boxset, a couple of years earlier.

What about the debut ?
    It is in the 9 CD box set.

Speaking of rarities, there is also a Libertés ? 4 CD longbox from 2004, which includes a dozen singles from the 1960's and
    most of the Soleil dans l'ombre 1982 album (not in the Alpes vein, but quite nice anyway).
    Last edited by unclemeat; 09-06-2021 at 05:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by unclemeat View Post
    Speaking of rarities, there is also a Libertés ? 4 CD longbox from 2004, which includes a dozen singles from the 1960's and
    most of the Soleil dans l'ombre 1982 album (not in the Alpes vein, but quite nice anyway).
    The latter including "Dans le creux de ta nuit", co-written by Peter Gabriel, so it is automatically Prog with a capital P, right?

Libertés? box was actually the first Ribeiro that I bought, since it was just about the only CD of hers that I could find at the time. I find the early pop singles rather pedestrian, but it is interesting to hear a different kind of Catherine Ribeiro, with a much brighter delivery than on the subsequent material. And yes, "Dans le creux de ta nuit" is quite good, as are some of the other post-Alpes tracks.

Some more footage from Bruxelles 1972 (begins at 1:30) :

https://www.sonuma.be/archive/noel-e...ro-a-bruxelles